Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for what may be an extremely redundant topic...

I am new to the experience. I have a S&W M&P22 that I enjoy (when I can find ammo)

I was interested in picking up something in a larger caliber, but frankly, the choices are too much to understand. 223/556, 30-06, something else?

I see a ton of options, styles, sizes, prices, and I'm lost.

I'm looking for something semi-auto that I can attach a nice Zeiss scope onto, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe $1000 is the target price. Something for closer-in use, as I'm not looking to reach a mile in accuracy. Also, the ammo availability is one consideration.

If anyone has any links to what they like that I can look at, I'd appreciate the guidance.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Other than "closer in" what do you plan to use it for?

That info would help us taylor our responses.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What range are you planning on using it? Just target shooting, hunting?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
For $1000 in today's political climate, you're not going to find much of anything.

.223/5.56 is standard. It's like the 9mm of sport rifles. I'd say probably the next standard round for an AR would be .308. If you're looking for something that you probably won't be using out past 200 yds or so, that you could use for CQB or hunting, self defense, etc., than .300 Blackout is also something you should look at. It's basically the same bullet as a .308 (7.62mm) inside a .223 case (.223 case cut shorter - actual metric dimension of a .300 BLK is 7.62x35mm). Hard hitter, but because of the smaller case it doesn't have the same range as the .308. Also has a lot less recoil than a .308 would.

As far as looks go, there's a million different options out there.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I see you are in New Jersey. With the gun climate there, AND the crazy prices for a semi-auto anything right now, I would recommend you consider a lever gun.

The "civilian" .30-30 is probably more available than any pistol or military-derived rifle cartridge right now. And as a bonus, it hits hard out to 200 yards - or more.

Lots of threads on this subject - do a search.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Check out an SKS in 7.62 x 39. There are a zillion out there, they're cheap, and they're reliable.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you don't like the SKS then go with Ruger's Mini-Thirty Rifle or a American made AK rifle. The 7.62 ammo is cheap and still available. JMHO

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Reactions: carracer

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
...J&G Sales had advertised today Ruger LE Mini-14 5.56 All-weather rifles for 899...might be just what you want...
In today's market, that's really not too bad. Personally, I find the Mini-14 to be one of the most just plain "fun guns" ever. Of course, .223/5.56 is a little hard to come by lately. :frown:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Up close sks

Further out FNAR or BAR

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Know where there are sks at lgs all day for 400 to 450 Chinese and russian. 600 is a bit steep for sks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The chain stores in this area don't sell any guns or ammo. That leaves the LGS, and there are all of two of them in the area, one of which has no stock, but when they do, they charge 3x what they used to. Thde other one is a mixed bag.

That pretty much leaves gunbroker as the main alternative unless I want to drive really far.

I got a suggestion to look into the Remington 700 tactical. Anyone have an opinion on those?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
OP - You stated you want to mount a scope. The SKS was not designed to be scoped. It can be done, but not as easily as other options.

I paid under $500 for my Marlin 336 "package" lever gun in .30-30 - rifle, scope, and sling. 6+1 capacity, mag tube can be topped off as you go, and will fire as fast as you can work the lever. I'd rather have a lever gun, with its tubular mag, than a low-capacity bolt gun - unless you are trying to reach out 800 yards or something.

The Ruger Mini mentioned earlier is a great semi-auto rifle as well (I have one of those too) and can be easily scoped. Just not sure how easily you can find ammo for it currently.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
A few days ago I went to just one gun store I saw a new .223 AR-15 for $950, it was either Rock River or Bushmaster.

Yes, the ammo can be hard to find if you don't want to overpay, but what ammo isn't overpriced? Just to inform you and maybe a few people that read this, ARs can still be found for $900-1200 if you take the time to look in gun stores (OP, not sure if you're even interested in an AR but just though I'd share).

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
SKS looks interesting, for about $600 on various sites. Thank you all for the feedback.
$600 for an SKS is outrageous. My first one was $65, but I paid an extra $7 to get the blade bayonet. Bought a second one a couple years later for $125 IIRC.

I've been seeing them as recently as two or three weeks ago for $350-$400 in a couple of stores, but that may have changed by now!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts