Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new handgun, likely tomorrow, and could use some advice. I have not owned a handgun in a long time, but my last was a Sig 357. The gun was top quality, but it was a work assigned weapon and extremely hard to carry off-duty. It was a bit of a cannon.

I recently went to the range with a friend of mine and shot his Springfield XD2 45 and a SW M&P Shield 9mm. The 45 with the extended clip was pretty comfortable shooting and I did well with it. The Shield 9mm seemed very small. I shot ok with it, but it was a single stack so my hand felt big and I didnt feel like I had enough grip. It was ok, but not as comfortable as the 45.

So I am looking to buy one for myself. I want something that I can carry concealed if I want to, but it will not be every day so shooting comfort is also a big deal. I felt like the wider double stack guns that have enough handle for my hand felt best. For caliber, I am thinking 9mm or 45. I realize 45 is a strong weapon and the ammo will be more expensive, but I know it could be a very nice weapon to have/carry. The 9mm is certainly more economical, but there are a ton of them out there for sure, which can be good and bad.

For brands/models, so far I have concentrated on the Springfield XD2 45 and 9mm, as well as the Glock 26 and Glock 30. I have not shot a Glock and the Glocks do feel smaller in my hand than the XD, but all 4 of these guns with the extended clip feel good.

I am open to new or used and am looking for budget for something in the $500 ballpark. The lesser the better of course, but want a good weapon that suits my needs and that will not be a major pain to clean, etc. The Glock seems to have a million places to buy any kind of parts you want. Not sure about Springfields yet.

So does anyone have any opinions or recommendations for what I should buy? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If I were in your boat, I'd check out the Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. It's like the Shield but with a double stack mag so it's fatter. If you want a larger gun, get the M&P 9mm, but note that it is a bit large for concealment. The M&P series is truly outstanding for the money.

Or, getting outside the box a bit, right now .40s are dirt cheap, and the ammo is really not that much more than 9mm and is easily gotten.

Refurb SIG P229 (the gun I conceal every day)

Police Trade-in S+W M&P40

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
What model "Sig 357" did you have, and why did you feel that it was hard to carry off duty?
What are you thinking of using this gun for? Concealed carry? Open carry? Nightstand gun? Range gun?
If it's for carry, what kind? IWB? Shoulder holster? Deep concealment? No concealment?
What kind of clothing is involved? Belt? What kind of environment?
What kind of capacity interests you?
BTW: welcome to the forum :smile:

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Was the 357 and SIG pistol ?? Why not see if you can find a used by very nice s&w 469 , 669 or for a single stack a 3913 . Most times you can find them with a low round count and there handguns made to a higher level than production handguns today . Cost less too and parts needed are available . BUT it lighter is wanted and a single stack look at what you can rent as you missed out on some like a from walther and kahr but try as many as you can . Most ranges for box of range ammo and a rental fee you can probably try what they have available . You might find 5 or 6 makes or models to try even if large model pay attention to trigger pull and how if fits your hand . Don't work about how well a short shooting section allows you to shoot just pay attention to how it feels . 400 rounds thru about any new handgun will you and it work well together !!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I'd look into the Glock 19. If it is comfortable in your hand it is a heck of a fighting pistol. 1911 s are single stack but they are tack drivers. Cz makes a nice double stack as does Sig. Handle a bunch then rent those that feel good to you and go from there. If the range you use does not have a big selection of guns to try out go to another range. Don't let their lack of a decent selection keep you from doing good research

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't remember the model of the Signed 357 I had because it was over 15 years ago. It was very heavy and pretty large. That's why it was hard to carry.

The gun I am buying will be currently my only handgun. I want to be able to conceal carry it if I want to, but will also use it at the range, etc.

I see recommendations for Glock 19. How is it compared to say Glock 26 or 30? My thought was that the subcompact with the longer clip/handle would work but still be small enough to carry. I like the feel for the spring xd2 45, especially with longer clip.

Is the Glock 19 hard to conceal carry? Again, I will only carry sometimes but don't want to be limited if I do want to carry.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I am going to buy a new handgun... my last was a Sig 357...it was a work assigned weapon... extremely hard to carry off-duty... a bit of a cannon...So I I am thinking 9mm or 45...something in the $500 ballpark...So does anyone have any opinions or recommendations for what I should buy?
*A long time ago you were assigned a SIG autoloader in .357 Sig?
*Which model?
*What made it seem "extremely hard to carry"?
*How did it seem "a cannon"? Recoil? Muzzle blast?
*Both 9mm & .45 acp are excellent calibers.
*Budget is (IMHO) a tad snug for new, but for used it's just fine.
*Yep, every single person HERE has...both! :image035:

Welcome to DC!

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I am going to buy a new handgun, likely tomorrow, and could use some advice. I have not owned a handgun in a long time, but my last was a Sig 357. The gun was top quality, but it was a work assigned weapon and extremely hard to carry off-duty. It was a bit of a cannon.

I recently went to the range with a friend of mine and shot his Springfield XD2 45 and a SW M&P Shield 9mm. The 45 with the extended clip was pretty comfortable shooting and I did well with it. The Shield 9mm seemed very small. I shot ok with it, but it was a single stack so my hand felt big and I didnt feel like I had enough grip. It was ok, but not as comfortable as the 45.

So I am looking to buy one for myself. I want something that I can carry concealed if I want to, but it will not be every day so shooting comfort is also a big deal. I felt like the wider double stack guns that have enough handle for my hand felt best. For caliber, I am thinking 9mm or 45. I realize 45 is a strong weapon and the ammo will be more expensive, but I know it could be a very nice weapon to have/carry. The 9mm is certainly more economical, but there are a ton of them out there for sure, which can be good and bad.

For brands/models, so far I have concentrated on the Springfield XD2 45 and 9mm, as well as the Glock 26 and Glock 30. I have not shot a Glock and the Glocks do feel smaller in my hand than the XD, but all 4 of these guns with the extended clip feel good.

I am open to new or used and am looking for budget for something in the $500 ballpark. The lesser the better of course, but want a good weapon that suits my needs and that will not be a major pain to clean, etc. The Glock seems to have a million places to buy any kind of parts you want. Not sure about Springfields yet.

So does anyone have any opinions or recommendations for what I should buy? Thanks!
Get the XD Mod2 since you had a good experience with it, and because that's what I carry. Not found of Glocks or the Glock 19. Seriously though, everyone else will tell you what they like. They all are good choices that most ranges will have for rent. Shoot them, and get what you like the best.

XD Mod2 9mm 13+1 or 16+1 with extended mags. FYI, that can be found online for under $400.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have owned both Springfield XD 45 full size, and now own M&P 40 full size and Shield 9mm. I sold the XD a few years ago but it was one of the best pistols I have ever used or owned but not my favorite. Nothing, I repeat, nothing shoots as well as a good M-1911 in .45acp with a 5 inch slide.

Plenty of aftermarket for most XD's now, not as much for XD-S models.

I personally like the M&P pistols better. They fit my hand better and shoot better/easier for me. Not as much aftermarket but nothing I need other than trigger kits which Apex makes as good as it gets.

I like .45acp for a round but a full load of them makes a damn heavy carry gun. I settled with .40sw for a full size and the 9mm Shield for a smaller summer carry gun.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
A Glock 19 is slightly larger than a Glock 26 - both are easily concealable. I carry a gun about the size of a Glock 19 every day, often wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

That said, carrying a gun is a commitment to many things, but one of them is dressing to effectively conceal. So you really need to consider how and whereyou would carry the gun on your body. The easiest way to conceal a gun is a pocket carry - get a tiny gun like a Kel-Tec P-3AT and drop it in a pocket holster. Easy.

Carrying a gun like a Glock 19 or G26 is a different proposition. You will be carrying on your belt, so you have to be sure the clothes you wear work with your gun and holster choice. For some folks this is a challenge - it depends on your body shape, the gun/holster combo, how you dress, and where you choose to carry the gun. It is a process to figure out what works for you, and often people realize the gun they bought doesn't match the way they want to carry. For me, I actually moved up to a bigger gun before I got comfortable.

Finally, I agree that people are just going to tell you guns they like. I also am not a Glock fan, so I'll just say don't necessarily buy one because of the hype. An XDS or a M&P (or many other guns for that matter) is every bit as good as a Glock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all.

One thing I keep hearing about glock is how easy they are to work on and how easy parts are to find. When I hold the guns in the store, I have concentrated on sub compact, and the spring xd2 feels better. Now it seems like the glocks are more practical in a few ways. I would like to have the 45, but again the 9mm seems a lot more practical.

Now since I have been reading here, I am seeing recommendations for the glock 19. My thought was that if I got a sub compact, like glock 26, I could carry with the small clip for best size but then use extended clip when shooting because that gives more comfort because of more handle. At that point, its the same as the glock 19, except for the extra inch of barrel.

Like I said, just trying to find the right balance of comfort, size, price, and ease of assembly/upgrade.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I own the shield and the 9c. Both would be a great choice.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks all.

One thing I keep hearing about glock is how easy they are to work on and how easy parts are to find. When I hold the guns in the store, I have concentrated on sub compact, and the spring xd2 feels better. Now it seems like the glocks are more practical in a few ways. I would like to have the 45, but again the 9mm seems a lot more practical.
Now since I have been reading here, I am seeing recommendations for the glock 19. My thought was that if I got a sub compact, like glock 26, I could carry with the small clip for best size but then use extended clip when shooting because that gives more comfort because of more handle. At that point, its the same as the glock 19, except for the extra inch of barrel.

Like I said, just trying to find the right balance of comfort, size, price, and ease of assembly/upgrade.
If you go with a Glock 26 make sure you get night sights as the stock sights suck. Also get the magazine adapter for the G19 mags. Also either Talon grips or Agrip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a Glock 19 is just what you need. Concealable but good sized grip that you should find large enough. 15+1. I conceal mine with a loose tee shirt during the summer months. Nothing is easier to break down and clean or replace parts if needed. Everyone makes holsters and aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1911 and Glock guy here. I am trying to stay within these "platforms" in an attempt to simplify and focus on getting better at what I have. For fun, I love my 1911. For business, and everyday use Glock has so many choices, there truly isn't anything else I need. With that being said...the only other thing that would make me stray from this vow would be the Sig P320. It just feels great, great quality and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
If I were in your boat, I'd check out the Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. It's like the Shield but with a double stack mag so it's fatter. If you want a larger gun, get the M&P 9mm, but note that it is a bit large for concealment. The M&P series is truly outstanding for the money...
Have to agree!

...I personally like the M&P pistols better. They fit my hand better and shoot better/easier for me. Not as much aftermarket but nothing I need other than trigger kits which Apex makes as good as it gets...
I find the ergonomics of the M&P's to be better as well. I have one Croatian HS Produkt Hrvatski Samokres (the real name for the Springfield XD series), and I don't find the build quality or the fit 'n' finish to be as good as an M&P.

I own the shield and the 9c. Both would be a great choice.
Same here. The Shield is the go-to but the 9C gets the nod when concealment is easier due to clothing, or when capacity is a bigger concern. One or the other would be my first choice if I were shopping for a first/only CC pistol.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
1 - 20 of 34 Posts