Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market to purchase a Glock 23 since my wife has commandeered mine. My first choice was to try to find a used one from a private party in my state. I don't want to sound paranoid but I wanted to obtain one without the paper trail in case the government moves toward gun registration sometime in the future. However, I have not been able to locate one locally so I am now considering buying from a gun shop.

So, I thought I would get some opinions from the very knowlegeable people on this board. I don't want to start a discussion as to the possibility of gun registration but would like to learn more about the purchase process and what records are kept.

If I buy a G23 from a gun shop and fill out the 4473, where does that go? Does the background check info remain in a government database somewhere? Is a background check even required if I have a CCW? Or, am I being paranoid about this whole thing?

I welcome your opinion.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I wouldn't say you're being paranoid, after all records are being kept. From what I understand, the 4473 stays with the dealer unless he goes out of business. He would then forward them to ATF. I've also heard that after ATF gets them, they are destroyed after 20 years.
Since you are in Idaho, there must be plenty of guns advertised in local news papers. Maybe you should just wait until the next gun show or pursue something besides the G23. You might consider putting in your own ad in the wanted column.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Considering how easy it is to do a private sale in your own state. I don't see how the government could even track all the guns that are on record now?

"Hi Mr. Doe, I'm Mr X from the ATF. Do you still own these guns"?
"Nope, sold them at the flea market".

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe you could find a Glock specific forum that allows sales/classifieds and look for a local FTF deal? I just don't know where to find something like that.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Guns, what guns? Does anyone here have guns? I don't have any guns... :aaa:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Here is the scoop on the 4473;

The gub'ment has no idea what you bought. The only thing they ask is if it is a handgun or long gun. The clerk does mark on the 4473 exactly what you bought, and that is the farthest it goes unless the ATF calls for a firearm trace.
Now for the form itself, the dealer is required to keep that form on site for a numebr of years. 7 is sticking in my head, but I'm not sure if that is correct or not. After that time, it can go to storage offsite, but the form has to be kept for the life of the business. If the business closes it doors, the the forms get archived with the ATF.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the b o a t i n g accident. It was a huge shame. I know the exact spot but the silt there has no bottom to it!

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
If the government starts to collect guns, paperwork is the least of your problems.

By the way, if you buy a Glock, don't buy one with over 2 million rounds through it, you could start to need some parts.:rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts