Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across someone who told me before 18-20 you can buy a handgun from a private seller in Florida but 21 and up from a FFL because then federal law kicks in. However the other day I was told 21 even from a private sell which I believe is incorrect right? I know you are legal to own and posses a handgun at age 18 in Florida what bout buying from a private sell? I will be 21 in a few months so just curious. I do however currently own a handgun and have for over a year so I dont see how you cant buy one at 18?

???

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Fed law says you can buy a handgun from a non-licensee who is a resident of the state in which you are a resident at 18 and the transaction must be in the state of residence. Age for licensees (FFL) is 21. Went toe-to-toe with a cop on this one years ago.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Fed law says you can buy a handgun from a non-licensee who is a resident of the state in which you are a resident at 18 and the transaction must be in the state of residence. Age for licensees (FFL) is 21. Went toe-to-toe with a cop on this one years ago.
^That
Also one can be gifted to you by a parent but it has to be a true gift or else it will be considered a straw purchase.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I know NM has a state law requiring you to be 19 to "possess" a handgun, so I would assume you'd have to be 19 to purchase one. I think opencarry.org has state by state info on this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Federal law prohibits an FFL holder from selling a handgun to a person under 21. State laws dictates the age of private handgun sales/possession.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I came across someone who told me before 18-20 you can buy a handgun from a private seller in Florida but 21 and up from a FFL because then federal law kicks in. However the other day I was told 21 even from a private sell which I believe is incorrect right? I know you are legal to own and posses a handgun at age 18 in Florida what bout buying from a private sell? I will be 21 in a few months so just curious. I do however currently own a handgun and have for over a year so I dont see how you cant buy one at 18?

???
You can purchase a handgun from a private party at 18. Anyone holding an FFL (any gun store, etc.) is prohibited from selling a handgun to anyone under 21, regardless of state law.

See Jon Gutmacher, Florida Firearms, 6th edition, pp 20-21.

Matt

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
In PA, you can own one at 18. State law says tranfers of handguns must be through an FFL which federal law prohibits until 21. Unless gifted by a parent or immediate family member which does not have to go through an FFL, your out of luck in PA. I've heard that some county sherrifs will do it but I don't know that for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts