Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all as the title says I just received my CCDW and I am going this coming week to buy my carry gun. I currently have a .38 spl Rock Island revolver that we keep at home as our defense gun as well as a 12ga pump shotgun. I took my test using the .38 but this thing is way to big to carry every day (4" barrel) so im off to buy my first ccw pistol. I have looked at a few, done some reading online and within my budget for my first gun (around 275.00) I have found the following for sale.

Taurus PT 111 G2 9mm
Taurus 709 Slim 9mm
SCCY CPX2/CPX1 9mm
Keltec P11 9mm

Of these ones here I am most interested in the 2 Taurus 9mm's and the SCCY CPX2. I like that the cpx2 doesnt have a manual safety but im ok with one if need be. Locally i can get the pt111 for around 220 out the door, the SCCY is about 260 out the door and the slim 9mm is about 240 out the door. Amazingly enough the most expensive one is the Keltec, at around 280 out the door. I checked out these all at a local gun store, I wasnt much for the keltec on feel, just feels cheap to me. I like the slim in terms of comfort because its noticeably thinner and lighter than the others, but i had some dealings with my cousins taurus 380, it was the small one like the ruger lcp, tcp i think it was called. Nice gun, looks pretty much like a smaller version of the slim but uses .380 instead of 9mm, I am of the degree that 9mm is the lowest caliber i would carry so i will deal with a little bigger gun to carry an effective round. Discounting the 380 issue the gun had some problems feeding ammo, especially hollow points. Did pretty good with standard fmj ammo, though the slide would lock back like the mag was empty when it wasnt, but load it up with something like hydra shok ammo and good night, that thing had more jams the a jar of jelly. I am worried that since the slim seems to be of the same style design it might suffer from the same fate as well.

I know Taurus doesnt have the best record for quality firearms but they seem to have stepped up their game recently from the reviews, the PT 111 has awesome reviews and it was the gun I was settled on until I ran across the Scccy, i have never heard of them, im guessing they are a newer maker, I like the fact that everything they do is made here in the US, including their mags, made in house in FL. I perfer to support US based companies when I can. So my question to all you experienced shooters out there, if you were in the market for a 9mm, and those are ones you could afford, which would you buy.

Point of note though, please refrain from the "just save your money and buy a glock,sig,etc" that will never happen, wife wouldnt allow it. If i could find a smith for around my price i would, but i perfer to carry a semi-auto, i like revolvers but not as a carry gun, the cylinder is just uncomfortable on me, even the snubbies. Alas the smiths are over my price range, and used guns here are pretty much as much as new ones, even the SD9VE is over 300, not by much but still. I was able to cabbage onto 300 bux from my pay, that has to get me a gun and some ammo to practice with. Ill get my holster in a couple weeks after I pick the gun.

Thank you all and God bless.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
First off, Howdy from TEXAS, where the west begins. Welcome to the forum.
Glad you could join us. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you get a chance to at least handle them if not actually shot 'em.
Stick with 9mm if possible. Much cheaper to shoot than 380.
You will also need a holster or two and a good belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Texas

I do intend on sticking with 9mm, If i lived in FL, or someplace warm all the time, and ammo wasnt as costly as it is now, i might carry a .380, that little LCP is a nice gun and super light but considering the 9mm is about 60% more powerful, cheaper to buy, and easier to find, ill stick with it.

I have held the sccy and both taurus guns, the sccy is the lightest of all 3 amazingly enough, weighing in at 15oz unloaded, the slim at 19oz unloaded and the g2 at 22oz unloaded. I did find the grip on the sccy to be a bit chunky to me, like from fron to back of the grip seems wider then most guns, not a deal killer mind you just odd. Best feeling one goes to the pt111 g2, really like the feel of that gun, holds good, has a nice texture to the grip but also the heaviest of them. My big question is reliability, function, and service. I have heard tales of Taurus being the worst in business for warranty if you need it, some guns taking months to get repaired/replaced, but I have also read reviews saying that it was shipping, serviced, and returned with in 10 days. Hopefully I will never need to find out how good/bad their service is. I have also heard some keltec war stories as well, not to mention the keltec just feels cheap in my hand.

I like the sccy for the most part but there isnt much on them out there, watched a few videos where some praise them as the best sub 300.00 gun made, and other bash them like a hi point. Its hard to separate the honest reviews from someone just being a snob and of the mentality that "if it aint 500.00, it aint worth buying" I want to make sure i get something i can depend on and will be able to carry comfortably all day long. This side of KY used to be a good place to live, hardly had any crime, especially violent ones, but drugs/pills have taken over and I am afraid to even go to the ATM without having a weapon on me anymore. Home invasions have skyrocketed around here, even had a few attempted car jackings, its just good common sense to carry a weapon in todays time. I have 2 young girls and a teen-aged son plus a wife, we have had a few attemtped home invasions with the most recent one happening about a month ago, not to mention we have a registered sex offender that lives 2 houses down from us (yes it was with a minor, quite young at that) hence the worry over my two young daughters and the 12ga shotgun. I work a county away from home because the job market around here sucks, been working here for a while but moved when the in-law gave the house to my wife. I work nights, alone, outside of town, and of the 6-7 times i have requested police here, they have arrived on scene exactly 0 times, even had ADT dispatch police to me after a windows alarm sounded, never arrived. We have like 1 sheriff deputy that works the nightshift here, and since im out of the city limits, local PD wont respond, hence the CCDW+carry gun.

That was long winded huh, so yeah anyone with any experience with any of these firearms feel free to chime in with your report, please though no he said/she said stuff, personal accounts of friends/relatives are fine if you actually witnessed it but none of that brothers/cousins/aunts/best friends/buddy said this.....

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Go with the SCCY. For an inexpensive gun, it's by far the best.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Go with the SCCY. For an inexpensive gun, it's by far the best.
Ditto. At least if it fails they'll fix or send you a new one

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
If it's not outside your budget, Buds Gun Shop has .40 Smith & Weson police trade-ins for $320 free shipping. Add about $25 for a transfer fee at your LGS. Just throwing that out there. For a new gun, it's still the SCCY.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For a budget setup, I'd go with guns that have a good rep but are low cost. My choice would be a Taurus Millenium G2 9mm with a PistolWear TrumpCard holster. $289 from academy (could be lower at local shops) plus $35-$50 for the holster with a magazine holster. Good thing about it, you can wear it with anything. Sweats, shorts, jeans, slacks, suits. Otherwise, you'd be spending $50 for a belt and an extra 20-25 for a holster. I'm about versatility.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I don't have personal experience with any of those you list, so I will refrain from offering an opinion on those. If it were me, I'd give serious thought to searching for a good quality used gun that has a good reputation from a maker which has good CS. You never know what you might run across at a local pawn shop or gun show. Perhaps something like a Ruger LC9s?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Taurus PT11G2. Love the gun. Very concealable. I use an AlienGear Cloak Tuck. I have no knowledge of the SCCY other than the name, but for inexpensive and good reviews (and my very good personal experience) the G2 would get my vote. I almost bought a slim when I was in the market, but liked the extra rounds available in the G2. Personally, not a Keltec fan, so no comment to make there. Keep us posted on your journey.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Both of the Taurus models you have listed make for solid defensive choices . The other two serve many folks well also but I would pick the PT111G2 as the first choice . It extra weight makes for a easier to control pistol for a newer shooter . It will fit a m&p9c holster very well also . One of our daughts carry's a PT111g2 and it works in my wifes m&p9c holsters . Low cost smart IWB choice holster might be a FOXX holsters Deluxe Trapp or Little Hybrid too. can be adjusted forward and aft with some vertical adjustment . It can work anywhere from 1:00 to 5:00 well .

Oh yea , the PT111G2 runs will with sig P226 mags so high capacity 16 18 up to 20 or 22 round mags can be carried as back up .

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also, have and carry a Taurus PT111 G2, over 500 rounds trouble free. I have a Glock 43 and M&P Shield, but carry the G2 quite often.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of the ones you have listed I would go with either the Taurus PT 111 G2 9mm or the SCCY CPX2/CPX1 9mm. Both are good guns for the money. If your looking for smaller and lighter go with the SCCY. The only thing I don't really like about the SCCY is the long reset. If you get the SCCY make sure you practice with it or at least dry fire it to get used to the trigger. Very easy to short stroke it.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Keep shopping for a better deal.

All the pistols you list are very low end especially Taurus is junk.

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Registered
95 Posts
This may seem harsh and for that I'm sorry.:embarassed:

I get it, your on a budget. But don't start off with a junky pistol.

Go to a local pawn shop and get a real gun. Even used, a decent pistol will outlast you. I'm not sure if any of those would last the ride home.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I do not, nor will I ever, own any of the pistols you've mentioned. So I'll keep my (sometimes snobby) opinions to my self. I am, however, a multi-generational (x9?) Kentuckian. So welcome to the forum Cuz'! Mighty glad to have ya'! :hand10:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Well the regulars here will recognize my input. If it were me I would be looking at a used Snub Revolver. Preferably one that you know has been shot by you or someone you know. No matter the make as long as you know it is reliable. I like 38 Special but must admit 9mm. Ammo is a few dollars cheaper around here. Good luck in your choices.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I know this is not what you want to hear, but put the money towards a new or used quality snub (S&W, Ruger, Colt) that will function when you need it.

I am not a big fan of the lightweight ploy guns from reliability, shootability and safety standpoints. Something like a Makarov or CS9 would be a good choice for an auto.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a bunch of guns that cost more, but the Taurus PT111 G2 gets carried frequently. It's smaller than my Glock 26 and to my tastes has a better trigger than any Glock. I have about 400 rounds thru mine (6 different ammos, both FMJ and JHP) without a single malfunction of any kind. It's technically my wife's gun, and if she ever starts carrying, I'll buy another one for myself. I have not owned a 709, but have not read anything bad about it.

Conversely, I owned a Kel-Tec P-11, and the trigger and reliability are much inferior to the Taurus. I had tons of feeding problems with mine. I liked the gun - it's about the smallest double stack 9mm I've ever seen. But it's just more problematic than the PT111 G2, and has a very long and heavy double action trigger. It's also fairly snappy, though not like a PPK or other straight blowback .380/9mm Mak.

I'd have to do a bunch of research into SCCY. If memory serves, they are Kel-Tec knockoffs, and I've definitely read where people had problems with them. I'd probly look at a Diamondback before I went for a SCCY, but once again research would be required.

Meanwhile, everyone who owns one loves the PT111 G2.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts