Defensive Carry banner

Where to put the safe?

• Garage will be fine as long as no humidity

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Find a way and figure it out to bring it to your room upstairs.

Votes: 44 71.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It's time I finally get a safe and put all my firearms in there. I've been saying it forever and now it's time. I was looking to spend no more than 500-600 dollars and decided on the Cannon safe costco sells. I checked it out at the store and I like it. I just wish it had some shelves on the side, but oh well...

anyways..

I was thinking about putting the safe in either my room (man cave) or the closet in our master bedroom. But currently I won't be able to put the safe in the closet in our master for about a year, so I figured I just leave it in the corner of the master.

Wive and few other friends think I should just leave it in the garage for now (I'm sure I can find a place for it) and leave it there. I'm not a fan of putting a safe in the garage because it feels "unsecure" (open garage door, and bam.. the safe) My garage does have a dehumidifier so even in this nasty humid florida weather, my garage is between 45-60% RH at all times. I plan on putting a dehumidifier in the safe as well.

That being said, what do you guys think? Do you have your safe in your garage?

It will be bolted down wherever the safe goes... Garage will be into concrete, and upstairs will be wood. I also will have a hard time trying to find friends and help to bring a 300 lb safe upstairs (maybe the door comes off?)

Wanted some opinions...

Also if anyone knows of another safe for about 500 dollars delivered to my door like the one costco offers, please let me know! They have them in stock at my local Costco, but I have no way of bringing it home so, I'll have to get it shipped to me.

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
The weight of the safe should determine the location, most second floor locations are not stressed enough to support the weight of a safe. My house is stick built and even though it is one floor I put my safe in the garage since it weighs 1200lbs empty. Even though the safe weighs 338lbs how much is it going to weigh when you load it up with guns, coins, valuables and other things.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weight of the safe should determine the location, most second floor locations are not stressed enough to support the weight of a safe. My house is stick built and even though it is one floor I put my safe in the garage since it weighs 1200lbs empty. Even though the safe weighs 338lbs how much is it going to weigh when you load it up with guns, coins, valuables and other things.
Good point. I don't see it weighing more than 500 lbs. It's a CBS home built in 2013, but I'm pretty sure the floor won't take 1200 lol. 500 maybe... There are people that weigh that much these days.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Mine's in the garage bolted into the floor with a Golden Rod running 24/7. It's not visible when the door is open.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fully stocked my Cannon safe approaches 1500#. I'm well versed in moving heavy weights in confined spaces . I built my house in anticipation of this heavy safe and positioned it in the lowest risk corner of my bedroom . Outside walls and a short drop into the most remote corner of the basement +lowest fire risk for a quality safe . Bolted to the floor . This will not defeat a pro thief but it will give you time to come home and defeat his purpose .
Your situation , I'd bolt it to that concrete floor in the lowest fire risk portion of that home .
Think of all the money you can spend on arms if you don't have to pay it to a back surgeon after moving a safe to the second floor .

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love how I always get myself into dilemmas... so it's almost 3 am, and I decided to do some googling about safes. Not knowing much about them, I realized the cannon safe I'm looking at (and most "budget" safes) are made of thin 12 to 14 gauge steel. If someone wanted to get in, they can get in by using a
and just cut the side out in like 5-10 minutes.

Now I'm looking at superior safe master 25. 10 gauge frame with 3/8 steel door. it weighs twice as much (actually more) and looks like a legit safe...

But in the end, if someone wants to get in, they'll get in I guess. the most important thing is, will the safe last long enough until police get here on an alarm call? (which in my area, my county will take 10-30 minutes probably for a routine alarm call)

Do I keep putting money away for a better safe, or do I just get something so at least my guns are locked up?

another note, I looked at a secureit gun cabinet which looks very nice, but at 600 dollars, it's insane... I might as well get a cheap cannon safe that's cheaper! lol

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
There's an old saying...If you can't secure it, it won't be yours for long..." My garage is for cars, tools and overflow of junk. Don't own enough in dollar value to justify a safe either. A few utility guns that ain't pretty... no prom queen's :icon_neutral:

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
The basement is a much better location.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Yep. The only reason my safe is on the first floor (not basement) is that I was able to put it in a corner with a steel beam under one wall and a load bearing stick wall under the other. Otherwise it would have gone downstairs.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Had to think about this one for a while as I'm just not getting my head around most in the garage storage ideas, especially after viewing the above posted video of the guy cutting open the safe and his alternative idea. To me, a safe in the garage, even if I could cover it from view would only add convenience to a BG in stealing my "stuff". Dawned on me that I have all the tools that a thief would need in the garage. My "safe", a bottom of the line Liberty Centurion is really no more than a combination locked gun cabinet bolted to the concrete floor. Give some thought to more than one gun cabinet and use more than one location to place them. If the weight of each is of a concern, determine which way the floor stud run and set additional 2x4 or larger studs flat under the cabinet on the floor running the opposite direction to distribute the weight. I would deck screw the additional cross bracing to the floor studs and lag bolt the safe to them and to any nearby wall studs. Placing a gun cabinet/safe in a corner allows two wall to screw into studs. Even though I have concrete floors, I giving thought to a second safe/cabinet in a separate location in the house for additional, less congested storage.

Reactions: patri0t

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
At 500lbs loaded, thats not an issue of being to heavy for the second floor. Getting a 300lb safe upstairs might be though. I had my safe upstairs before and was able to take the door off which made it easier to move. Im not sure how strong you are, but 2 somewhat strong people and an appliance dolly should be able to get it up the stairs.

Reactions: patri0t

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
In the basement or the master bed room. The garage is not a good option in my opinion. Too much fluctuation in temp and humidity. With the foot print of the safe I would not worry about it being too heavy. How many king size water beds were put up stairs in years gone bye? That was a lot of weight. When I bought a 300 pound safe me and two brother in laws put it in the basement. When I bought a 500 pound safe I paid a guy $150 and he picked it up at the store and put it down in the basement. Money well spent. Check at some places that sells safes and see if they have information on safe movers. That's how I found the guy that moved mine.

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
Mines in the garage and the garage is alarmed; door alarms and motion detectors. No tools there that would provide a thief what he needs to get in. And the entire contents is insured.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I think having the same upstairs adds an extra layer of security and difficulty against theft as well as allows the owner easy access in the case of a home invasion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine will be in a utility closet in my garage. The garage side door is alarmed, and I will put an entry sensor or a motion detector inside the utility closet, which I'll also put a lock on. I don't have anywhere to put it inside my house, and I'm not hauling a 700 pound safe upstairs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You're in So Fla. Unless that garage is climate controlled I wouldn't store my guns in the garage. Figure a way to store that safe inside (under air) making sure its bolted down securely. Hopefully, your house is alarmed because the budget type safes are of composite construction and easily burned or peeled.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts