Defensive Carry banner

Where to put the safe?

• Garage will be fine as long as no humidity

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Find a way and figure it out to bring it to your room upstairs.

Votes: 47 72.3%
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
For the record I have a Fort Knox safe; I put it in the garage where it is bolted to the floor. The safe couldn't go upstairs, it weighs around 1500lbs or so, the is no way the upper floors are built for that kind of weight.

So what I do is this: Upstairs in our master closet there is a small safe that fits between the studs that can hold a rifle or shotgun and a handgun. I have my carry gun with me at all times, those guns in the safe are there for the wife. After securing those weapons, we use them to either end the fight, or fight our way down to the safe where more weapons and ammo can be had.

I got the big safe because of videos like the one shown by the OP, and because I know several LEOs who have told me in the past how easy it was to break into the "wally world" and "costco specials. They advised getting one with hardened boiler plate walls and of course a heavy duty door......

Just my .02c

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey everyone,

bringing somewhat old post back, but a little update. I found a youtube video of a gentleman talking about safes (CE Safes) and he ended up being close to where I live. I visited the shop and learned alot. I put some money down on a much bigger safe that is also slightly thicker all around. It's about $2500... They had some thicker safes, but smaller. This one is a model he no longer carries (rhino brand) so he gave me a real good deal on it. He also has some quality Ft Knox safes, but I think this one will do the trick for me and I don't think I can ever outgrow it lol. It's 1/4 thick door and 11 gauge steel frame all around

We talked about putting it upstairs and he was against it. He gave me some good ideas on how to place it, where to place it etc in the garage and we talked about some decoy safes in the master which is where many safes end up. This safe weighs 900lbs empty and is 72x36x27 so it won't even fit through my closet door lol.

We will be installing the golden rod dehumidifier, lighted interior and an electronic lock on it. garage is also humidity controlled too.

I didn't want to spend over 500-600 for the safe... I'm now spending about 2500 on a safe... Good lord...

The only thing odd to me will be putting jewelry in the garage. lol...

Here is the safe:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Locks, safes, alarms, etc... only keep honest people honest. If a thief wants something bad enough they'll steal it. If they know it's there. A safe in a garage, in plain sight, or anywhere in plain sight, might as well have a sign on it saying " there is something valuable in here for someone to steal ".

At one time when I could not afford a safe, or even a descent gun cabinet I built a false wall in a closet to hide my guns and some other things of value to me.

My wife and I went away for a weekend and the house was broken into, ransacked, and robbed. Stole all the electronics, tv, stereo, a camera, cordless phone (it was in the early eighties) even took a waring blender and the microwave. They went through the whole house. What they didn't get was my guns and my wife's good jewelry. The jewelry that was left to her by her grandparents. That stuff was hidden behind that false wall. Two week later they caught the scum bag when he pawned my tv. And I knew the guy! Not well but I had met him a few times through a third party. A third party who was a friend. My friend new this piece of crap well enough to have the occasional beer with. Somehow, I came up in a conversation and my friend tells this dirtbag that I was into hunting and shooting and that I had guns and I was away for the weekend. Well I'm sure you can fill in the rest. Turns out my friend ( or as it turns out ex-friend)had nothing to do with the robbery, except for opening his pie hole to someone that he didn't know very well. My point is had I had a safe in plain site I have know doubt it would have been opened and emptied out. No matter how strong it was. Oh ya did I mention that this scumbag confessed to spending most of the weekend in my house. Eating my food, drinking my beer, even sleeping in my bed. All while he was robbing me!
Safe's are fine but hide it from view or disguise it so it doesn't look like the obvious. And be real carful who you tell what you have and were it's at.

To answer your question no way would I put a safe in a garage. It would go in a closet with limited access and hidden from view

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Put it in the garage, bolt it down, paint it white anyone driving by looking into your garage will think its a stand up freezer.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I'm no fire expert by any means but a heavy gun safe on the second floor of a wood frame structure doesn't sound safe during a fire. (Perhaps some of our firefighters on the forum will weigh in with their expertise.) I was in a similar situation a few years ago and had to store my guns/ safe in my garage. What I did was throw an old tarp over it and no one was the wiser what was under the old paint splattered canvas tarp. Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: flingarrows

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
if you can put it some where under temperature control your better off.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My small safe weigh 800 pounds empty. But it is fireproof. Its liberty safe and not way would it be in the garage.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Mine is in the garage , new house can't get it inside with out a remodel, funny thing is with the safe in the garage no one notices it is even there I was very surprised at that . Bolt it down get a golden rod , your wife will be happy it's not taking up space in the master bedroom or her closet .

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Banned
1 Posts
The safe is extremely important and should be kept in a place where you can be sure that everything will be fine. I personally made a place hidden in the wall and put it there so that no one even knows about its existence. I always insist on keeping that room clean to the maximum and generally the whole house, even if I admit that I don't like to deal with cleaning at all. For this reason, I decided to turn to a cleaning company and came across https://niftytilecleaning.com.au/carpet-repair-adelaide/, so I really love their services, and I am lucky with them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I faced a similar choice when I downsized to my current flat. There is a small attached but unconditioned storage space on a concrete pad out back that is perfect fo a small workshop, but I was worried about temperature extremes and humidity, so I bought the smallest safe I could find and tucked it into a bedroom closet upstairs. It sits right above a load-bearing beam, but I certainly wouldn't want anything larger. So, unless it is well-sealed and humidity-controlled, I would choose a spot for the safe within the conditioned building envelope if possible.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
We don't have a choice. No place in the house (condo) to put our safe. But we have a storage closet at the back of the garage and the safe is against the back wall of that closet with just a few inches of space to the walls on either side, so no way to tip it over or get a crowbar into the door frame. Not happy about the temperature fluctuations from mid sumer heat to freezing winter. We will have to remember to take the guns out that we want to take to the indoor range an hour or so before leaving in the winter to warm them up a bit. Just the garage door itself and the one door from the porch to the garage and that door has an alarm module on it.

You have to do the best you can do with what is available.
You're definitely right about doing the best we can with what we have to work with. Sometimes what we get is not ideal, but it's a whole lot better than nothing.

In an ideal world, we would be getting a new home built, and I would have the builder double or triple up the joists in the area where I wanted a safe, maybe doing that in a couple of areas for a future safe. But we're not there yet.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Locks, safes, alarms, etc... only keep honest people honest. If a thief wants something bad enough they'll steal it. If they know it's there. A safe in a garage, in plain sight, or anywhere in plain sight, might as well have a sign on it saying " there is something valuable in here for someone to steal ".

At one time when I could not afford a safe, or even a descent gun cabinet I built a false wall in a closet to hide my guns and some other things of value to me.

My wife and I went away for a weekend and the house was broken into, ransacked, and robbed. Stole all the electronics, tv, stereo, a camera, cordless phone (it was in the early eighties) even took a waring blender and the microwave. They went through the whole house. What they didn't get was my guns and my wife's good jewelry. The jewelry that was left to her by her grandparents. That stuff was hidden behind that false wall. Two week later they caught the scum bag when he pawned my tv. And I knew the guy! Not well but I had met him a few times through a third party. A third party who was a friend. My friend new this piece of crap well enough to have the occasional beer with. Somehow, I came up in a conversation and my friend tells this dirtbag that I was into hunting and shooting and that I had guns and I was away for the weekend. Well I'm sure you can fill in the rest. Turns out my friend ( or as it turns out ex-friend)had nothing to do with the robbery, except for opening his pie hole to someone that he didn't know very well. My point is had I had a safe in plain site I have know doubt it would have been opened and emptied out. No matter how strong it was. Oh ya did I mention that this scumbag confessed to spending most of the weekend in my house. Eating my food, drinking my beer, even sleeping in my bed. All while he was robbing me!
Safe's are fine but hide it from view or disguise it so it doesn't look like the obvious. And be real carful who you tell what you have and were it's at.

To answer your question no way would I put a safe in a garage. It would go in a closet with limited access and hidden from view
I have run across this idea on camping forums before, and it especially applies to gun owners. Never tell someone when you're going on vacation. It's only OK to tell about the vacation you've already been on.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
Humidity is always a concern for our guns. I'm fortunate to live in a desert climate where those concerns are minimized. A lot of folks are fond of dessicants, but one had to be disciplined enough to remove the pot of dessicant periodically and dry it out. Otherwise, all you're doing is collecting moisture in your safe and concentrating it into one smaller location.

The key to minimizing moisture in a safe is to keep it warmer than its surrounding environment, which is the principle behind the "goldenrod" heaters. Even 3 degrees F warmer than the surrounding atmosphere is sufficient, no matter if the ambient temp is -20 or +100. Dehumidifying a whole garage or even a room to protect the guns is enormously expensive compared to a safe heating rod running at 35-50 watts. Even if you're paying 20 cents per KWH, that's about $7 a month - a fraction of what it would cost to run a dehumidfier.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
Humidity is always a concern for our guns. I'm fortunate to live in a desert climate where those concerns are minimized. A lot of folks are fond of dessicants, but one had to be disciplined enough to remove the pot of dessicant periodically and dry it out. Otherwise, all you're doing is collecting moisture in your safe and concentrating it into one smaller location.

The key to minimizing moisture in a safe is to keep it warmer than its surrounding environment, which is the principle behind the "goldenrod" heaters. Even 3 degrees F warmer then the surrounding atmosphere is sufficient, not matter if the ambient temp is -20 or 100. Dehumidifying an whole garage or even a room to protect the guns is enormously expensive compared to a safe heating rod running at 35-50 watts. Even if you're paying 20 cents per KWH, that's about $7 a month - a fraction of what it would cost to run a dehumidfier.
Yep. Here in hot AND humid S. FL, a Golden Rod is an absolute and a container of Dehumidifier to boot. I would have preferred to have my safe, that my son bought to store his guns while overseas (didn't trust govt storage) and I paid him for it, seeing as he already had one the movers packed up, but frankly I don't know that it would fit through the doors. No space inside anyhow.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts