Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI in the latest issue of American Handgunner there is a short article with pictures about throwing together a quick and simple Target Stand using PVC pipe (plus a few "T" fittings and elbows) & a bit of Pipe Joint Cement.
Even if you don't want to buy the magazine...take a quick flip through it on the news stand shelf & with one quick glance you'll see how that one was put together...it looks like it's very fast and easy to construct.
I don't want to scan the article since it's a brand new issue & it's copyrighted.

That being said...NOTHING beats sitting down with a steaming hot cup of good coffee & flipping through an issue of American Handgunner on a cool & breezy Spring morning.

BTW: Speaking of coffee. I just got a brand new coffee mug. I'll take a picture of my new mug for you. It really keeps my coffee nice & hot!:image035:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
That's a nice coffee mug. I have one just like it. Works well. :haha:

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
They do work well QK.

A friend and I built one several years ago now, but we used PVC throughout and hang the targets from chains. We also made it a full frame base and added sand.
You might be surprised at how badly a little wind effects it, if you don't add weight.

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea...or a couple of heavy sandbags resting on top of those bottom runners sure would help keep it from blowing over.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What about slipping some window weights into the PVC (or small pieces of rebar to weight it) without the bulk of sandbags

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yoshi

I just had a brilliant thought.:blink:

If you wanted to keep the stand PORTABLE then you could drill some holes in the base lengths of PVC & stake them right into the ground with long TENT PEGS.
That way...you could "set up" to shoot without lugging anything heavy around.
That sure might work! :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Yoshi,

We didn't use sandbags, we partially filled the base with lose sand and capped. We also used a center support on the base. The base was cemented together, the up rights were not, for easy take down and transport.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ain't that a pre-ban coffee cup QK? - has that ''look'' about it! :wink:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I also get American Handgunner magazine and thought this was a pretty good idea. I've made three of them so far and for about $10 each you get a pretty nifty and portable target stand. Not sure if I want to use sand bags or filling in the pipes to hold them down though.

Hmmmmm....I do think it's about time for an afternoon cup of coffee in my Bugs Bunny coffee mug! :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You could shoot the mug and drink the target. Damn Im confused I need another trip to the fridge and more beer.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I don't drink coffee and I don't get American Handgunner, but I am a librarian and American Handgunner is available in one of our online databases so I printed the article. Picked up all the materials at Lowes this afternoon and will build tomorrow. Lowes had the 8' furring strips in bundles of 6 that are rounded on the corners so they fit the 1.5" PVC with no trimming.

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
George

Let us know how easy it all goes together.
Looks kinda like a Tinker~Toy project to me. Pretty doggone easy.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Good thing about this Stand,.. is that you can fix your plumbing problems with it too!!

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Well here the first one is.

The hardest part of the whole process is cutting the PVC. I cannot cut anything straight. I am a klutz with do it your self projects. Give me a kit that has screws, etc. and I can do wonders. If it requires cutting look out. In spite of my problems with the hacksaw (not being able to cut the PVC squarely) I think the first one turned out pretty good.

When I get through I will have less than $20 in each. I will also have several feet of PVC and two furring strips for the future.

:danceban: :banana:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Looks great to me George - now you've had the practice I need a couple too :nanana: :wink:
I cannot cut anything straight.
Not sure if you've tried this but - take some 1" masking tape and wrap it round the cutting mark so it meets itself - if applied with care you'll have a good guide line to help cut square.

Other thing is - a fine tooth tenon saw sometimes does better because of the blade style - hacksaws love to ''wander''!

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
P95Carry said:
Looks great to me George - now you've had the practice I need a couple too :nanana: :wink:Not sure if you've tried this but - take some 1" masking tape and wrap it round the cutting mark so it meets itself - if applied with care you'll have a good guide line to help cut square.

Other thing is - a fine tooth tenon saw sometimes does better because of the blade style - hacksaws love to ''wander''!
Chris, every saw I use loves to wander! If I take a miter box and cut a piece of wood the two end don't match.:yup: If you stick them back like they came apart you would think they were from different boards. I've gotten used to it. I think it has to do with being right handed and left eye dominant. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The good thing about the PVC stands is that being a little off square is not a big problem. The pipe slides into the T or the elbow about an inch and ends up straight there. The end won't all be against the collar, but since there is no water pressure in target stands it's not a problem. Now I have to make the second one. This one should take about half as long. I have improved my cutting over the course of the first one.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Looks good to me too. :hand10:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts