Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning, my hunting buddy and I set out to see if we could get some ducks, or rabbits, or....We drove out to Minersville Reservoir, located near the town of Minersville (population 907). We got to the reservoir just after dawn at 0700. Air temperature was 19 degrees with virtually no wind.

Sky Natural landscape Afterglow Highland Water

Water Sky Water resources Plant Cloud

Jim brought his dog, Stan, who is a nice dog, but has not completely learned how to be a bird dog.

Sky Hood Tire Hat Dog breed

Wheel Tire Car Dog Cargo pants

There weren't many ducks at the lake and despite the fact that we had decoys and duck calls, we never had any ducks or geese come close. Although I've been hunting for ducks a few times, I've yet to have the opportunity to even shoot at a duck.

Without having any success along the reservoir, we headed down to the creek to hike along the creek and see if we could find any ducks or rabbits there. We had not been hiking for too long when Jim shouldered his shotgun and fired. The dog had flushed a nice pheasant which Jim took. Unfortunately, we did not see any more birds, or any rabbits for the remainder of the morning.

Hunting Dog Carnivore Fawn Mountain

We're hoping to get out at least a few more days before the weather gets colder.

Attachments

·
Registered
47,225 Posts
When I was stationed at Fairchild outside of Spokane, WA, the first time, my hunting buddy lived in base housing outside of the base fencing proper. We used to load up our guns and gear and walk right through the housing area and out into the surrounding wheatfields and hunt ducks coming in to feed on the harvest leftovers. No one ever said a word about it.

·
Registered
47,225 Posts
I thought you headed into the fringes of a liberal city and helped even out the numbers...

At least you can eat the pheasant. They are tasty birds.
I never cared for pheasants, at least not the eastern WA ones. They were tasteless, the only flavor coming from whatever was sprinkled on them. I guess a diet of wheat is not all that tasty.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Good post and good hunting but I must admit that I was disappointed that it was not open season on the real quacks, the ones in Washington.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Super Moderator
20,351 Posts
This morning, my hunting buddy and I set out to see if we could get some ducks, or rabbits, or....We drove out to Minersville Reservoir, located near the town of Minersville (population 907). We got to the reservoir just after dawn at 0700. Air temperature was 19 degrees with virtually no wind.

View attachment 368339

View attachment 368340

Jim brought his dog, Stan, who is a nice dog, but has not completely learned how to be a bird dog.

View attachment 368342

View attachment 368343

There weren't many ducks at the lake and despite the fact that we had decoys and duck calls, we never had any ducks or geese come close. Although I've been hunting for ducks a few times, I've yet to have the opportunity to even shoot at a duck.

Without having any success along the reservoir, we headed down to the creek to hike along the creek and see if we could find any ducks or rabbits there. We had not been hiking for too long when Jim shouldered his shotgun and fired. The dog had flushed a nice pheasant which Jim took. Unfortunately, we did not see any more birds, or any rabbits for the remainder of the morning.

View attachment 368344

We're hoping to get out at least a few more days before the weather gets colder.
The weather was too darned nice for waterfowl to be sitting still for you! Overcast skies and approaching fronts were the hallmarks for successful waterfowling - at least back in New England! But fine days afield with friends and a good dog make the trip worthwhile, even if you don't snap a cap.

·
Premium Member
11,563 Posts
Nice story and great pictures as always.
I remember duck hunting on Long Island's north shore as a boy.
At times so many ducks you had to pick which one to shoot. Duck makes a darn tasty dinner
Agree overcast days right before a front hits seems to be the best for duck hunting.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Sounds like my kind of day! Good times.

·
Registered
47,225 Posts
I stay up late, sleep in late. I awake every morning to a squad of anxious ducks awaiting their morning feeding. They won't even give me time to make a pot of coffee.

• Haha
Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 11 of 11 Posts