Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, its almost sacrilege to talk about here, but I usually carry condition 3, no round in chamber.. We live in a very quiet rural area, mostly at home or with our grandkids these days, and are really never out after dark.. I would really prefer not to argue the point, I realize I am in the minority, but I simply feel no need to carry a cocked chambered gun with the safety off in my day to day life at this point..I know thats how many here carry, and many others carry cocked and locked.

My question is this.. most every carry readiness number system shows condition 3 as - full magazine installed, hammer down, no round in chamber.. However, my wife and I now usually carry our Sigs unchambered, but with the hammer cocked.. In practice drills we have found there is very little difference in the time differential between condition one and clicking the safety off, or racking the slide with the hammer already back, which on a Sig is basically effortless. It makes a huge difference when you are not drawing the hammer back while bringing the slide back.
I just don't see much written about carrying in that manner, but I think its a pretty decent compromise between condition 3 and cocked and locked. I guess I know what most of the responses will be, but I was hoping for some reasonable discussion pertaining to this somewhat modified carry condition.
For us it works, as chambering a round is so fast with the hammer already back that its almost the same time interval as disengaging the safety.. We also both feel its safer when around the grandchildren all the time without one in the pipe.

btw, If ever I am in an unsavory area, or feel ill at ease for any reason, I have NO problem chambering a round and putting the pistol in Condition 1. Its just that always being with my very small grandkids, or around the house or at church in a small quiet town, I just haven't felt the need to EDC cocked and locked.
Would appreciate some discussion on carry "cocked and unchambered"... bob

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
I know, its almost sacrilege to talk about here, but I usually carry condition 3, no round in chamber.. We live in a very quiet rural area, mostly at home or with our grandkids these days, and are really never out after dark.. I would really prefer not to argue the point, I realize I am in the minority, but I simply feel no need to carry a cocked chambered gun with the safety off in my day to day life at this point..I know thats how many here carry, and many others carry cocked and locked.

My question is this.. most every carry readiness number system shows condition 3 as - full magazine installed, hammer down, no round in chamber.. However, my wife and I now usually carry our Sigs unchambered, but with the hammer cocked.. In practice drills we have found there is very little difference in the time differential between condition one and clicking the safety off, or racking the slide with the hammer already back, which on a Sig is basically effortless. It makes a huge difference when you are not drawing the hammer back while bringing the slide back.
I just don't see much written about carrying in that manner, but I think its a pretty decent compromise between condition 3 and cocked and locked. I guess I know what most of the responses will be, but I was hoping for some reasonable discussion pertaining to this somewhat modified carry condition.
For us it works, as chambering a round is so fast with the hammer already back that its almost the same time interval as disengaging the safety.. We also both feel its safer when around the grandchildren all the time without one in the pipe.

btw, If ever I am in an unsavory area, or feel ill at ease for any reason, I have NO problem chambering a round and putting the pistol in Condition 1. Its just that always being with my very small grandkids, or around the house or at church in a small quiet town, I just haven't felt the need to EDC cocked and locked.
I read your post several times, and saw no question asked.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read your post several times, and saw no question asked.
You are correct.. I started going in a rambling diatribe there.. However point remains.. Lets just say opinions are welcome, although around here I can guess what those opinions will be..

·
Registered
598 Posts
Not trying to be impolite, but if you want to carry that way, and feel it works for you, what does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can You do it with one hand while the other hand is busy fending off someone?
Probably not, but in the case of my wife with severe arthritis she needs 2 hand to disengage the safety as well.. Again, my life circumstances dictate my carry method.. I live in an area with no real violent crime, and someone would have to come running for hundreds of feet to ambush me at home. I am around my very small grandchildren much of the time, and I am always aware of who and what is around me at all times, something I learned from playing gigs in nasty bars for almost 40 years... bob

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm with Erich1B on this as well, if you have any doubts about your current condition you might want to consider using a revolver "around the house" it would take a pretty strong little one to pull a 10lb trigger.

Reactions: Gabill

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not trying to be impolite, but if you want to carry that way, and feel it works for you, what does it really matter what anyone else thinks?
Just wanted to discuss it, because I see almost nothing written about this carry style anywhere.. Condition 3 is uncocked, unchambered, we carry cocked unchambered, and the slide effort is just so minimal that the time expended is about the same as clicking the safety off judging from my own unscientific drills. I was wondering if others thought it might be a more viable carry method, and simply like discussion is all... bob

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
You are correct.. I started going in a rambling diatribe there.. However point remains.. Lets just say opinions are welcome, although around here I can guess what those opinions will be..
Why ask questions you already know the answer to?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with Erich1B on this as well, if you have any doubts about your current condition you might want to consider using a revolver "around the house" it would take a pretty strong little one to pull a 10lb trigger.
We had 2 of them an S&W and an LCR.. My wife simply could not effectively pull those heavy DA triggers.. She can still easily handle the functions of the P238 quite well. Both revolvers and an LCP custom were traded off in her interest, and she loves her Sig, and handles it pretty readily.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why ask questions you already know the answer to?
Look, this is already degenerating into nastiness, which is really ridiculous.. I phrased i the title wrong ok,- I would simply like some discussion about it because I see little written about this carry style and I simply would like opinions from the very knowledgeable membership here, and some polite discourse.. I mean really, if there is a problem with the post for you personally, and it bothers you, why reply at all?... bob

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Look, this is already degenerating into nastiness, which is really ridiculous.. I phrased i the title wrong ok,- I would simply like some discussion about it because I see little written about this carry style and I simply would like opinions from the very knowledgeable membership here, and some polite discourse.. I mean really, if there is a problem with the post for you personally, and it bothers you, why reply at all?... bob
I'm just trying to get an idea of where you hoped for the discussion to go. Safety off, hammer down, and round chambered it how a I carry DA/SA semis. With the big, long DA trigger pull on the first round out of the holster, ADs are very unlikely.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
In my years as a Firearms Instructor it's been my experience that a lack of confidence in ones ability to safely carry a hot sidearm disappears with training. Condition 3 was invented for those lacking the training to carry condition 1. An empty chamber is an empty gun.

Originally Posted by BkCo1
"Can You do it with one hand while the other hand is busy fending off someone?"
A very valid question, in real life Murpy's Law rules !

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'm a simple minded person, so I keep things as simple as possible. This means I carry the same way when ever, and where ever I carry. The fewer variable I throw into the mix the better off I am. For me this means carrying fully loaded guns. I don't feel I'm compromising safety by doing so.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Since you aren't planning for a scenario where nothing happens in your peaceful neighborhood, this is really about what happens in a potentially life or death situation; thus direct responses are necessary. I understand the desire and mindset that impels one to carry in condition 3 but it's equally important to know that situational awareness isn't always enough to buy you the time needed to get to condition 1. If you can't discreetly get to condition 1, you may actually exacerbate the situation further.

My observation is that if it is a challenge and takes two hands to deactivate a safety, then you might be better off carrying chambered and decocked, and simply work the hammer back with either thumb as needed (requiring only one hand). If a 11-12 lb. pull is difficult, then the loaded chamber shouldn't be a concern in the first place.

Otherwise, simplify the whole scenario and get revolvers. You'd still need to operate the hammer manually to minimize the trigger pull, but considering both your self-imposed and physical conditions, you have limited your options.

Reactions: oljames3

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my years as a Firearms Instructor it's been my experience that a lack of confidence in ones ability to safely carry a hot sidearm disappears with training. Condition 3 was invented for those lacking the training to carry condition 1. An empty chamber is an empty gun.

A very valid question, in real life Murpy's Law rules !
I appreciate your viewpoint of course , but explain that viewpoint to the Mossad, an elite force when it comes to firearm deployment.. they carry unchambered and I believe their weapons are uncocked as well, but not sure, and most US pistol experts would not want to tangle with a Mossad agent.. also, I doubt most of them feel a lack of confidence in handling a handgun.

As I wrote in the original post, these responses are not unexpected on this forum, I know most carry with a round in the pipe.. however, there ARE some very knowledgeable, and extremely capable weapons handlers that don't always carry chambered... it is what it is, not expecting to ever change anyone's mind.. . bob

·
Registered
863 Posts
I give you credit for posting this because its going to be 90% *** type answers...Maybe try carrying condition 1 with snap caps to build up some confidence. Also look up some of the active self defense videos on you tube and put your self in their thinking about racking that sig under a great deal of stress trying to save your life.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I appreciate your viewpoint of course , but explain that viewpoint to the Mossad, an elite force when it comes to firearm deployment.. they carry unchambered and I believe their weapons are uncocked as well, but not sure, and most US pistol experts would not want to tangle with a Mossad agent.. also, I doubt most of them feel a lack of confidence in handling a handgun.

As I wrote in the original post, these responses are not unexpected on this forum, I know most carry with a round in the pipe.. however, there ARE some very knowledgeable, and extremely capable weapons handlers that don't always carry chambered... it is what it is, not expecting to ever change anyone's mind.. . bob
I've never met one. I've never seen an article about one. Every military or police force that I've heard about doing it do so not out of their own choosing. But carry a empty gun because some administrative moron came up with the idea and force them to carry that way.

-

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.