Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I have a pistol that is matte stainless. It has one edge that is mildly irritating during long range sessions. I've thought of taking a very fine file and just "breaking" that edge. It's basically where a rounded backstrap meets the flat plane on the side of the gun. The "line" right there is very defined and can irritate my hand after a few hundered rounds (9mm :redface:)

I want to just soften that line a tiny bit with as little change to the finish as possible. I've thought of using 600 grit paper but didn't know if that would just make it shiny, or if using a very fine file is better?

I don't mind if you can see it but if I could do this and it not show or be hardly noticeable, I would prefer it.

Perhaps some of you have de-horned some of your own stainless guns and could give me some pointers? The area I'm talking about is only about a quarter inch long line I just need to round over a bit.

thanks!
Gideon

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I usually stone all the sharp edges on my stainless guns. All you need is a little, and it shouldn't make any difference in the appearance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As stated, a file with an appropriate sandpaper will work. The more polished the metal the higher the finish grit. Take your time, go slowly, and the finished product will be invisible.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You can get extremely fine files made of industrial diamond that will work really well for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs guys, this helps give me the confidence to try it!

I may take the grips off and sand/file a bit to "see" the effect!

Thanks
Gideon

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
In case you don't know, never use steel wool. You'll impregnate your gun with rust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never use any carbon steel products like a carbon steel file (non stainless ) on a stainless gun. It will "seed" the stainless and start rust.Do not use a grinding wheel that has been used on any non stainless steels, use a fresh wheel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well geeeeee. You guys have just taughtme something. Never use anything carbon steel on stainless. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts