Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for any AR owners here who use a forward grip on their rifle. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the forward grip?

I'm a relatively new AR owner and was wondering if the grip is something I should consider.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you're talking about a "pistol grip"- One BIG advantage is retention and control in close quarters combat where a hth fight might take place.

You'd be surprised how much more leverage and control a fore grip will give you. A few good simulated hth situations will prove this to you. Disarms of traditional long guns are super easy. If you find yourself in a fight to keep control of your weapon, a BG wouldn't have too much trouble taking it away from you. But a good fore grip gives you a much needed and more reliable hand hold than a traditional forearm. (Which in turn gives you more options using your weapon in a hth fight.)

A disadvantage would be a temporary loss of accuracy until you can practice and improve your technique. Your muscle memory will need to be retuned to get used to the new fore grip.

If you don't want a pistol grip on your forend. They offer other grips that can give you greater retention ability; but feel more natural.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I'm old school and initally got my expert ribbon on the old M-16 A-2. I personally don't like them and find that they make the carbine more cumbersome. My AR's are all set up with A-2 carry handle sights with the exception of my Stag Arms 9mm AR which has the Diamondhead iron sights and fore end. I like keeping them simple:smile:

Reactions: Tstone and OldChap

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I've used them, and gotten away from it.

The VFG does come in handy depending on your light set up, IE a 9' O'clock or 3 O'clock work pretty well with a VFG. Depending on the make, they also give you yet another place to store batteries. It also does help a little "driving" the gun, but I prefer a FWD grip for this now which is why I've gone away from them. IF I did go back I'd probably look at one of the smaller MAGPUL angled versions as they seem a decent compromise.

Chuck

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Like some others, I have mixed opinions on the vertical grips. I have no problems whatsoever with weapons retention, regardless of grips, because I use a quality single point sling. I don't know if my pickup truck could break that thing, so I doubt any human could pull the weapon away from me. But, having said that, there are times I pick up a weapon with a vertical fore grip and my mind just doesn't quite compute why my left hand is in that position. Were I not an old school rifle shooter from way back, it might be different. I kind of like the angled fore grips, but basically I'm just fond of straight grips.

To the OP: get one of the less expensive ones and give it a try. It may work well for you.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does your AR have a railed fore end? If not it can limit your options on a forward verticle grip.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Don't like them at all. Prefer to "Keep it simple".
I make my own 2-point slings using GI carry straps that are
pretty wide., My truck could be towed with them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like them. Though, I use them more as a hand stop rather than a grip. I use a forward grip as a way to consistently index my support hand on the rail where my light is mounted. Not necessary but useful.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not a fan. Don't see what good they are. I have a rifle with a slim rail that goes to the end of the barrel. It's far more comfortable to just grab the rail. It seems that grabbing the rifle around the rail, and not around a long grip hanging off of it is much more stable.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just extra weight and bulk on a gun like an AR or AK. Now if you have something like a subgun type carbine, like for instance a SBR Scorpion/Vector/MP5, and don't have anywhere to really grab, then it might be a different story.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gen3 - no, my rifle doesn't have a railed fore end. If that limits the options, it's possible that could also limit any advantages I might have from a VFG.

At least I'm not in any rush to make a decision right now.

Thanks for the feedback! You all gave me good points to ponder!

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Greetings All,

I'm resurrecting this oldish thread because I have pretty much the same question as the OP, and I'm curious if anyone might have anything to add to the discussion.

I have a Colt LE6920 and a couple other AR's, and my favorite is the Colt, which I've had for several years now. I got the Magpul edition that came with a vertical foregrip, and when I got it I installed the VFG, just because it came with the gun. Recently, I've been comparing the AR's with and without the VFG, and trying to decide if I want to leave it on the gun.

For me, the AR's are mostly range toys & plinkers, although I got them with the possibility of HD and/or SHTF type situations in mind. Realistically, though, I would most likely be responding to a HD situation with a pistol rather than an AR, unless it was a pretty extreme assault! I don't hunt with an AR, and don't participate in any sort of competitive shooting with them either.

The rifle with the VFG doesn't really feel as 'natural' to me as one with a conventional foregrip, and I see a potential downside if I found myself shooting from behind a barrier or other cover, particularly if shooting over the top of a barrier. I have not really assessed whether I am more, or less, accurate with the VFG than without, but I suspect probably a little less.

So, fellows, what are your thoughts? You like a VFG or not, and why?

·
Administrator
21,367 Posts
Greetings All,

I'm resurrecting this oldish thread because I have pretty much the same question as the OP, and I'm curious if anyone might have anything to add to the discussion.

I have a Colt LE6920 and a couple other AR's, and my favorite is the Colt, which I've had for several years now. I got the Magpul edition that came with a vertical foregrip, and when I got it I installed the VFG, just because it came with the gun. Recently, I've been comparing the AR's with and without the VFG, and trying to decide if I want to leave it on the gun.

For me, the AR's are mostly range toys & plinkers, although I got them with the possibility of HD and/or SHTF type situations in mind. Realistically, though, I would most likely be responding to a HD situation with a pistol rather than an AR, unless it was a pretty extreme assault! I don't hunt with an AR, and don't participate in any sort of competitive shooting with them either.

The rifle with the VFG doesn't really feel as 'natural' to me as one with a conventional foregrip, and I see a potential downside if I found myself shooting from behind a barrier or other cover, particularly if shooting over the top of a barrier. I have not really assessed whether I am more, or less, accurate with the VFG than without, but I suspect probably a little less.

So, fellows, what are your thoughts? You like a VFG or not, and why?
They have their place, but lower profile hand-stops are a lot more abundant than in years prior and that might be a better option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
They originally became popular because lights and lasers were taking up space on the handguard and people needed a way to hold the gun. They don’t make it a more stable platform, and they aren’t tactically advantageous in any other way. I have one on my le6920 only because the short handguard and light setup is easiest for me to use with it. Overall, I prefer a longer handguard and to grip the handguard itself.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
No vertical forward grip, but a small hand stop so that I can "push/pull".
It also "indexes" on my backpack when used as a front rest for consistancy when seated or prone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts