Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in this situation: my NC license expires in May, but I'm in the process of renewal, so as far as NC is concerned, the license is good for another 5 years. My county is having a FOUR MONTH turnaround, so there will be two or three months where the permit I have on me will be expired, even though technically it isn't, and NC will be aware of that. So, I'm going to be travelling the US throughout the summer and into the fall. My new permit needs to be picked up in person, which I won't be able to do for a while. Does anyone know if any states will accept the explanation that my permit is in renewal in NC, but I haven't been able to pick it up?
Sorry for this convoluted explanation! :)

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If there is an expiration date on the permit.....I doubt it.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
190 Posts
No way. You have to have the current license with you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Maybe you could convince someone, but I wouldn't count on it. I would suggest contacting your state agency and asking them about this.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
What I'd recommend is to first go to the state web site and print a copy of NC statute 14-415.16 highlight item ( c ) and carry that with you along with the receipt from the sheriff for your renewal. Other states may take a bit longer to verify you're still current but it should be doable. I'd like to know what county you're having a 4 month delay in renewal. That's usually a story more often heard in the middle of the state. If you don't want to put your county in the thread could you PM me with it?

Here's the statute from the state website. G.S. 14-415.16

Here's the part to highlight:
If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90-day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14-415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.
One last thing, while traveling chances are slim that you will even have to produce your carry permit but if you do have to do NOT get defensive if they question it. Stay polite and let them go through the calls to verify your permit. Personally, I'd rather be prepared to hop through a few extra hoops if needed and carry.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I'd recommend is to first go to the state web site and print a copy of NC statute 14-415.16 highlight item ( c ) and carry that with you along with the receipt from the sheriff for your renewal. Other states may take a bit longer to verify you're still current but it should be doable. I'd like to know what county you're having a 4 month delay in renewal. That's usually a story more often heard in the middle of the state. If you don't want to put your county in the thread could you PM me with it?

Here's the statute from the state website. G.S. 14-415.16

Here's the part to highlight:

One last thing, while traveling chances are slim that you will even have to produce your carry permit but if you do have to do NOT get defensive if they question it. Stay polite and let them go through the calls to verify your permit. Personally, I'd rather be prepared to hop through a few extra hoops if needed and carry.
Thank you, I'll take a copy of that statute with me. The county is Buncombe. I even asked if I could pay to expedite the permit, but nope. They also said that there haven't been any miracles----it really is a 4 month wait, which puts me at the beginning of July. They said I shouldn't trust other states to believe me, and also, other states aren't going to call NC or be able to tap in to our system to show the permit is in renewal. I'm going to hope for the best, and in some cases I'll just transport my pistol according to that state's laws for people without a permit.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Personally, I would not carry on an expired permit as you outline (except in NC).

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I am in Buncombe and can't believe they are 4 mo. out, not doubting your word just naver had to wait before. I do remember one time that I waited too long & it was to expire so I went to the Sheriff at the time, Bobby, & he gave me a temp or something to hold me over till the state got me the renewal.
Don't know if that still works.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Have you considered getting a non-res permit from a state that will cover your travels? AZ usually is pretty quick on the turnaround. It'll be mailed to your home, could someone pick it up and forward to where you happen to be?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in Buncombe and can't believe they are 4 mo. out, not doubting your word just naver had to wait before. I do remember one time that I waited too long & it was to expire so I went to the Sheriff at the time, Bobby, & he gave me a temp or something to hold me over till the state got me the renewal.
Don't know if that still works.
They said they used to get 20 calls a week for permits, now it's 200. It really is 4 months, so they say.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you considered getting a non-res permit from a state that will cover your travels? AZ usually is pretty quick on the turnaround. It'll be mailed to your home, could someone pick it up and forward to where you happen to be?
That would cost me, and I need to pinch pennies right now. I'd have to mail them fingerprints, proof of firearms training, etc. if I end up going through there, I might try it on-site. Are there any other states where it would be fairly easy to get a non-resident permit? I wonder if those have reciprocity with other states or if they're good only in the issuing state?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Can you run up to, or will you be going through PA? I've been told some of the counties have In-N-Out service. As in walk in without an appt and walk out 15 min later with a permit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you run up to, or will you be going through PA? I've been told some of the counties have In-N-Out service. As in walk in without an appt and walk out 15 min later with a permit.
Wow, I wonder which counties? I'm pretty much going due west, then up to 90 and across to Washington.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm not sure but a few phone calls might be time well spent. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Spirit4eart, you have to do what you feel comfortable with but just to clarify one thing, as long as you have fulfilled the requirements specified in the NC statutes to renew your permit prior to the expiration date you would NOT be carrying on an expired permit. NC law states that your permit is still valid very clearly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts