Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have read the previous post about the rules and regulation regarding weapon laws in my state, but i didn't really get what i needed out of it.(or maybe i just didn't understand)

so my question to any knowledgable TX resident is: do you have to be of a certain age to carry a fixed-blade concealed? or do you need any permit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, no permit issued in Texas covers knives--no permit, no age limit. It is also not prohibited by statute to carry it if it is not an "illegal knife". The way the deadly weapons statute [§ 46.01 (6)] reads, an illegal knife is one with a blade over 5.5 inches, a throwing knife, bowie knife, sword, spear, or "dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard"--usually interpreted as meaning double-edged knives may not be carried.

If it is not any of those, it is not classified as a deadly weapon, meaning it can be carried anywhere. I often carry a Cold Steel Kobun with a 5.5 inch blade IWB to school since CC is not allowed there (actually, I carry it other places too, since I am still waiting on my CHL).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My personal fixed blade knife for concealed carry is the CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion knife. I trained with Bob and his folder designs (he use to carry a CQC-7 but now uses the folding Crawford/Kasper). The fixed blade Polkowski/Kasper is not longer made, but you can still find the occasionally. http://www.fox-intl.com/searchresult.asp?id=2253

·
Registered
143 Posts
The CRKT First Strikes are 100% perfectly legal everywhere in the state of Texas. I was seconds away from buying one last weekend, but I got a CRKT M-16 14Z instead, because I could carry it easier.

If you end up getting one, post some pictures. Maybe that'll motivate me to get off my rear end and go buy one.

·
Super Moderator
18,162 Posts
I will warn you that while hirundo is correct, individual officers will make up the Penal Code as they go along.
Kinda hard to do when they have a maximum legal length limit aint it ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Blade length isn't the problem that people face here. It's things like Kershaw's "assisted opening" that gets people into trouble. Even though it is perfectly legal, and not a switchblade by any definition in the law, a lot of officers believe they are illegal switchblades. I've even gotten into arguements with other officers over them. No one is ever prosecuted for it, but a lot of people get arrested and have their knives taken into evidence. The problem with officers not understanding Kershaws is so widespread that I don't let my wife carry one at all, even though we own several nice ones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good to know that they are legal...i find it very eas to carry actually. i carry it iwb at about 3:30(though i need to find a better iwb sheath) and it works like a charm. i will get come pics up next week once i get my girlfriends camera over here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts