Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new P229 today in .40. It came with three 12 round mags. On the mags "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT GOV'T USE AND/OR EXPORT ONLY 9/14/94" is engraved. Needless to say, I am not a LEO, so did the dealer mess up or has something changed making this legal?

·
Registered
822 Posts
No. The magazines had to be branded as such because of the stupid ban that just expired.

Now us "peons" are allowed to own them.

Don't sweat it (I'm guessing from the Athens that you are in GA? Not Greece? I don't know Greek law).

Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wayne,
I figured that's what happened, but just wanted to be sure. And I am in school here in Athens, GA. I wish I were in Greece though seeing as how I have exams as soon as Thanksgiving break is over.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
You're all set with those mags, and no need to return them. the Hi Cap ban was over, a while back......

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed, glad as all get out the ban sunsetted!

Now my 226 10 round mags only see service as back-ups in IDPA shoots - otherwise its the ''oh-so-once-forbidden'' <gasp> 15 rounders.

In fact the 20 rounders are fun too in range practice mode! Even have thrown one of those in pocket as spare - who's gonna worry about a bit of butt protrusion after a reload :wink:

''Butt protrusion Honey? - You gettin personal again?" :lol:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Nice to have a few more rounds per mag. now that the AWB expired.

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
I see you got your answer.

I just wanted to say congrats on the 229! Going to get the 357SIG barrel for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking about getting the .357 barrel, not sure yet. I also have a 45 itch i need to scratch though so that may get taken care of before the spare barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unfortunately, we in California still have the state ban on hi cap mags. I still hold out hope that we will get some legislators in place that have some common sense. I know, it's a long shot...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I live near the People's Republik of Denver, which retains assault weapon laws, including a ban on high-capacity magazines. Luckily for pistol owners, the legal maximum is 20 rounds.

The 10-round magazines for my G21 had a significant effect. The spring was so tight when the magazine was loaded to 10 rounds, the top round pressed so tightly on the slide that the slide would not fully cycle firing 10+1. One shot, then the chamber was empty and 10 rounds still in the mag. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this on the range...

The normal 13-round magazines function perfectly in 13+1 configuration.

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
woodduckwallace said:
I'm thinking about getting the .357 barrel, not sure yet. I also have a 45 itch i need to scratch though so that may get taken care of before the spare barrel.
SIG had a "special" last December that got you a 229 AND the spare barrel, for about the same price as the 229 alone. I tried to get one, but thanks to Maryland's requirement for a fired casing my shop couldn't get one into the State, so I lost out. :sad:

·
Banned
305 Posts
In New York, pistol magazines are still restricted to ten rounds. There are some loopholes; one gun dealer told me it was legal to buy twenty- and thirty-round rifle magazines, for example, but illegal to actually put them in the gun. Absurd.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Phil
Massachusetts is the very same way.10 rounders only......cept that we in NH and Maine, see a lot of people coming across the line and purchasing hi caps.......

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Anubis said:
I live near the People's Republik of Denver, which retains assault weapon laws, including a ban on high-capacity magazines. Luckily for pistol owners, the legal maximum is 20 rounds.
We were thinking about MAYBE moving to Durango. What's that like and how far is it from Denver (distance, politically and culturally)?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Phil
Massachusetts is the very same way.10 rounders only......cept that we in NH and Maine, see a lot of people coming across the line and purchasing hi caps.......
Not quite true.

Pre-ban hi-caps are fine. No new "no ban" mags allowed.

My Wife just bought her first gun yesterday, an early model Glock 17 (all Austrian with proof marks) and two hi-cap mags. :smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts