Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local gun range has a restriction on the type of shot size that can be used due to their rubberized pellet backstop material. They say it may tend to ricochet smaller pellets. So they tell me I cannot fire my 20 gauge semi-auto with ANY bird shot. Ok, but what constitutes bird shot. They tell me I need 00 buckshot. I keep telling them that I cannot find that kind of load for a 20 gauge, as it seems to be a "tactical specialty load" at ridiculous prices like five rounds for $20 or slightly less. So how do my wife and I practice using this shotgun. Just getting slugs seems to defeat the purpose of using shot for home defense. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bird shot is usually considered anything over number 6 shot. Not sure about #5 but you might try asking about #4 or lower. My range has similar restrictions but allows me to use #4 . As long as long as it's not steel shot. That's really where the problem lies steel shot bounces all over the place. If they won't allow it you're just going to have to buy buck or slugs . Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller the number for for self-defense anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called and they repeated their demand that I use 00 buckshot. Seems unreasonable to me since they also sell firearms there and you can rent firearms for use in the range. I'm sure they sell 20 gauge shottys, so I'd like to see what ammo they give me if I rent one. I think the clerks I get on the phone, keep forgetting this is a 20 gauge I'm talking about and not a 12.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I just called and they repeated their demand that I use 00 buckshot. Seems unreasonable to me since they also sell firearms there and you can rent firearms for use in the range. I'm sure they sell 20 gauge shottys, so I'd like to see what ammo they give me if I rent one. I think the clerks I get on the phone, keep forgetting this is a 20 gauge I'm talking about and not a 12.
Yep there is not much bucks shot out for 20 gauge ..I know Rem makes some I am not sure if it 000 or 00 though ..Even the HD loads from federal are #4 shot

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Almost all common 20 gauge buckshot is #3 or #2 Buck. If the range allows .22LR, then they should allow these loads, as they are essentially the same projectile.

Reactions: surefire7

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
My LGR is an indoor range that allows slugs only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
different range? My local range the shotties share the pistol range and they only allow bird shot... Although they let me shoot my sport rounds also after investigating the box for ten minutes lol.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm not sure why 00 Buckshot would be good but birdshot is going to do something bad... doesn't make any sense to me. I think whoever makes the rules there, and whoever your talking to are both not very knowledgable.

Indoor range I go to lets you shoot any shotgun ammo you want... no issues. No rifle rounds except frangible .223.. basically any handgun rounds.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I can't use a shot gun at all at any of the ranges by me. They just don't allow them. Say they damage the armor too much and faster and for possible ricochet from the ammo slug or buck. Find an out door range to shoot at is your best solution, or get a hunting license and try hunting out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure why 00 Buckshot would be good but birdshot is going to do something bad... doesn't make any sense to me. I think whoever makes the rules there, and whoever your talking to are both not very knowledgable.

Indoor range I go to lets you shoot any shotgun ammo you want... no issues. No rifle rounds except frangible .223.. basically any handgun rounds.
I think the idea or rationale was that since they use rubber pellet pieces as the backstop material, there is more of a chance of ricochet with smaller mass shot. Or at least that's what they tried to explain to me. So does anyone know what the caliber the shot is equivalent to? IOW, #4 buck is approx equal to .33, so what would #3, #2, and #1 shot be equal to in caliber?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simple answer, like it or not, it's their range, their rules, simple as that.
Yeah, I plan to do just that. My wife and I will just join a local R&G club. I think the restrictions should be much less strict for outdoor ranges than indoor. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I think the idea or rationale was that since they use rubber pellet pieces as the backstop material, there is more of a chance of ricochet with smaller mass shot. Or at least that's what they tried to explain to me. So does anyone know what the caliber the shot is equivalent to? IOW, #4 buck is approx equal to .33, so what would #3, #2, and #1 shot be equal to in caliber?
What distance is the backstop at? That's the primary reason our range doesn't allow shot shells AFAIK. At 25yds, the rubber back stop material will be likely to deflect smaller pellets, as they will loose a good bit of velocity. While the danger to the shooter would be pretty low, I can see where it can be rough on ceiling and wall panels. Not to mention the loose pellets laying on the floor when they go in for clean up.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Bird shot is usually considered anything over number 6 shot. Not sure about #5 but you might try asking about #4 or lower. My range has similar restrictions but allows me to use #4 . As long as long as it's not steel shot. That's really where the problem lies steel shot bounces all over the place. If they won't allow it you're just going to have to buy buck or slugs . Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller the number for for self-defense anyway.
Yep, #4 is usually the smallest allowed at any indoor ranges around here. Almost all are 25 yd. ranges. Even at public outdoor ranges around here, they have a separate target range for shotguns (besides skeet).

·
Registered
765 Posts
When i was a kid my freinds dad was shooying a 410 with bird shot at a plastic barrel. One pellet came straight back and hit him between the eyes. No damage just a spot of blood like a pin *****.

Didn't do that again.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Its 00 buckshot at the indoor range I frequent also. I don't know enough about the physics of the shot size, I just buy the 00 Remington buckshot on the rare occassions I bring the shotgun to the range.

·
Registered
712 Posts
00 buck is .32 # 4 is smaller

·
Registered
712 Posts
I included this in an earlier post the problem with bird shot at the range started when they started mandating steel shot for bird (waterfowl) hunting. The ranges found that Steel shot was ricocheting all over the place. Like ping pong balls on steroids . In addition it was tearing up there backstops. It became easer to just ban bird shot. Ask any dedicated bird hunter how much faster steel shot will tear up a barrel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts