Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here and looking to learn as many views as possible. Do you carry in the following situations: when you are just laying around your home watching Tv. My TV room is too far away from my room where I keep my guns. We have young adults that are constantly coming in an out of the house. Guns are secure btw.

What about when you are working around the house, say mowing, etc. sweaty and definitely too far away to have easy access in case of strong arm robbery at your house.

What about when you go to your family's house (or friend)? You know your not at high risk of anything happening but you would need to keep the gun in the car perhaps. Then you have a risk while walking to your car (esp at night).

Church? Any other scenarios that I may have missed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I carry in all the scenarios you have described. The only time I don't carry is when prohibited by criminal law.
What he said. One never knows when it will be needed, so I always have it if I need it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm currently sitting on the couch, watching TV and surfing the net with my SP101 on the right side of my laptop.

It was on my hip while I was doing turkey season chores outside today.

It was also on my hip when I drove out to my buddy's place to drop off some tools I borrowed. However, there are times where I will leave my sidearm in the car/truck when I'm at a friend's place in the country. A risk I'm willing to take. Especially if we are working on a car or truck and I have a lot of crawling around to do since I'm the smallest of our bunch.

The one time I went to a church since I've started carrying, I was strapped.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Every day, all day.

At home, I'd like to never be more than 12 inches from a firearm. So it's convenient to carry from the time I get up to the time I go to bed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I have carried for about a year. It's an evolving process. I am still feeling my way through some situations, but those are getting less and my decision is more and more to always have a gun. A lot of things I heard here and elsewhere when I first got my license seemed pretty radical at the time, but they seem less so now. It feels a little strange and awkward now when I don't have a firearm.

I just carried when I went to my in laws for a cookout today. My present mind set is that I have a right to carry a firearm, so even if I couldn't picture anything happening that would require a gun I can still exercise that right.

You have to make up your own mind for yourself, but my guess is that you are sooner or later going to be carrying when it's legal to do so, just like people here are saying.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Carry around the house? Nope.

Carry working in the yard? Nope.

Carry riding a horse or jogging? Nope.

Carry going to work on a military base? Nope.

Carry in church? Yep.

Carry driving down the freeway? Nope. Not on my person. Maybe in the car, unless I'm going to work on a military base.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
It would be interesting when my wife's family starts in on the full body hugging when we go over there. Even IWB can be felt I suppose. Today I tried to do a tactical (angle type) hug lol.
My main gun is low-riding IWB at the three o'clock position, while my bug is on my left thigh pocket. I hug my liberal family members regularly, and have never been detected by a bump frisk. Non-intimate acquaintances simply don't hug that low.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Did the OP do a Search for the hundred repetitions of this question?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I carry often but not always. .. I do not wear a gun around my home or property, I just don't. I keep a gun readily "available" at home but I only carry in public places. I can accept the fact that when I am at home, I am less capable at fending off an attack than when I am out and about. With me, its not about always being ready.. its about the risk assessment - public vs private. I feel that I am at the greatest risk when I am out in public and that is when I carry most often. Again, I am not trying to live my life like a spec op mission and honestly, I don't like guns all that much. Guns are simply a tool and I choose to avail myself of the option to deal out substantial force if need be. Guns are a hobby to many and some consider them a source of entertainment. I regard them in the same way I regard a saw or hammer.. nothing more, nothing less. Self defense and staying safe is not really about the gun... the gun is only a small part of process when everything else has failed. I encourage people to not allow the gun to be the center of their SD universe. If it is or you think it is, you may be hindering yourself substantially.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
From the time I get up until I go to bed I have Two J Frames on me. At night I put one on the night stand. I normally don't break the law and don't carry if not allowed.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I carry in all of those situations except for sitting around the house because I have small children who climb on me all the time. When they get older, I'll carry all the time.

The one time I'll transition to a much smaller gun is when doing yard/car work. For yard work I'll carry just a pocket gun, and for car work I carry the smallest pocket gun I own.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts