Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A man brought me a .25acp gun this morning. He is not a gun person and knows little other than which end the bullet comes out of. His mother owned the gun since new (likely 30+ years) and she passed away seven years ago. He brought the gun to his house after cleaning out her home after her passing. In all these years, he has never shot the gun, never really handled it but last week he loaded it. After loading, he slammed a round into the chamber and the gun went off and then went off a second time when he says his finger was on the trigger but does not think he pulled it.

There is a marking on the gun saying King_Glass and a very low serial number. Also it is marked as being made in Spain.

I examined the gun (unloaded) and found it has never been cleaned and is filled with dry grease along the slide. The magazine is slightly difficult to slide into the handle seeming due to never being oiled.

He left it with me to clean and see if I can fix it.

OK, it is a cheap gun but has beautiful pearl grips. Now, still not cleaned but still not loaded, I pulled the slide all the way back letting it slam shut and I then pulled the trigger. It snapped as it would (cocked) in order to fire a round. I did this a dozen times and each time I pulled the trigger afterward, it would snap very well.

I am not fond of these little .25acp guns (own a couple of them but not this brand). However I am of the opinion that since it went off when he had it loaded and allowed the slide to slam, he must have had his finger on the trigger since it remained cocked after I slammed each time and had the trigger still pulled when the second round entered the chamber. He is of the opinion that it double tapped.

Anyway, he is now afraid of the gun and wants me to see what happens when I have it loaded.

BTW: He put two rounds into his clothes that was hanging in his closet.

What is the opinion of the group here?

·
Super Moderator
18,019 Posts
I would give it a good thorough cleaning paying particular to the firing channel making sure the pin slides freely. I have an FN similar to the Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket my father brought back from WWII; I have only fired it a few times until it went full auto on me. I ordered a new firing pin from Numrich Arms and that cured the problem, after careful measuring I found the sear on the old pin was worn just enough to catch then release the pin when the slide slammed home.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
After a good cleaning take it to a safe place and see what happens. You will probably have to pull the grips and soak it a while to get the dried grease to let go. Once you are happy that it works, try bumping it off your sandbags. But be sure you have a good grip on it when you do!
The main thing that keeps me from shooting mine is the high cost of ammo. A box of 50 costs as much as a box of 45's!
I have a Colt, a FN, a Beretta, and a Raven 25 auto. the cheapest of them, the Raven is the only one that has never failed! The others are somewhat ammo sensitive.
The first three all came from family members. 25 and 32 used to be the calibers that they pushed for women shooters. Now I doubt you will find a LGS that would suggest one. But I like them, they are kind of cool! DR

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It is my intentions to give it a good cleaning over the rest of the weekend. Of course, it was also my intentions to be a millionaire by now but we all know that did not happen.

I am still thinking the guy, not being a gun guy, had the trigger squeezed when he slammed the slide which caused the unintentional discharge.

One thing is certain. I will not point it at the clothes hanging in my closet when trying it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is a marking on the gun saying King_Glass and a very low serial number. Also it is marked as being made in Spain.

There's a Spanish company called Looking Glass that made .25's which were a Browning type. There's quite a bit info on them online, and lots of pics. I agree with you, it sounds like the guy fired twice himself and didn't realize it. From what you said it sounds like he's a bit afraid of the gun and likely was too emotional to realize he'd done it.

Be careful

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are two photos of the gun, still uncleaned. IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0585.JPG

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiosity how much or how many layers of loose cloth did it penetrate? Inquiring minds need to know?
Loose hanging cloth is what I use to stop pellets or wax bullets. held tight at top and bottom they sail right through but only hanging from the top, they seem to be a pretty good trap. DR
He only told me it went through some of his clothes. I will see him next Saturday when he comes in my office. I will ask him what all the rounds hit.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I'd suggest that if/when you test fire the pistol you only load one round into the magazine. If it doesn't fire by itself when you release the slide, pull the trigger to fire it. Then lock the slide back and check to see if the firing pin is protruding. If it is, there is likely more hardened grease in the channel which needs further cleaning. If the pin is retracted as it should be, load two rounds into the magazine and repeat the process. You are now checking to see if it fires the second round on its own. If it does not, you should be good to go with a full mag.

Others may be able to add to this or say it more clearly. Please do report back on this.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I would give it a good thorough cleaning paying particular to the firing channel making sure the pin slides freely. I have an FN similar to the Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket my father brought back from WWII; I have only fired it a few times until it went full auto on me. I ordered a new firing pin from Numrich Arms and that cured the problem, after careful measuring I found the sear on the old pin was worn just enough to catch then release the pin when the slide slammed home.
Surprise!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The firing pin could have been gunked up. Clean it good and test it out. Just be carefull, once you monkey with it he might blame you if he has a mishap.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The firing pin could have been gunked up. Clean it good and test it out. Just be carefull, once you monkey with it he might blame you if he has a mishap.
He will never fire the gun. All he is concerned about is his mother's gun rusting up. The one time he had an AD was only checking to see if it was loaded. I still say he had his finger on the trigger. This guy knows nothing about guns. I know little about cheap guns like this one but they all pretty much work the same way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You might try using a snap cap or dummy round to see if that somehow might make a difference. You might also try, with an empty chamber or snap cap, releasing the slide with the gun in different positions. If he shot his clothes you might have to hold the gun muzzle up or level. Just be sure you are pointing in a safe direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts