Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spinning off the new chambered or not chambered thread.... Do any of you 1911 type guys carry with the safety off? I've been carrying a 1911 for almost a year, and always carry with the safety on. However, while reading some recent threads about carrying chambered, many folks have pointed out that fine muscle control is one of the first things to go in a high stress situation. So my question is, other than holstering, is it really dangerous to carry a 1911 with the safety off? I practise drawing a flipping the safety off in one motion, but I wouldn't want to forget it at the worst possible moment. Couldn't I just holster with it on, then flip it off after it is secured. Just seems like it fits with the argument to be as prepared as you can get because you never know what is going to happen if the time comes to defend your own life.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
When the defecation hits the ventilation what you practice (or don't practice) is what you'll do. Personally I would never carry my 1911 with the safety disengaged.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
IMHO ... not a good idea. The 1911 was designed this way. If you carry condition 1 ... place it on safe.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
another one here with a safety on if you practice enough when your drawing you automatically turn the safety off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
:rofl: lmao! There is no way I would carry in condition 1 without the safety on. :rofl:
Since my Defender has a 4.25lb trigger SAFETY IS ON! Either way I think once you are comfortable in carrying with a chambered round you have to safety it. That is if your wife lets you carry it! :wave:

Sorry could'nt resist!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I carry my XD45 chambered and it has no safety but I feel very safe carrying it this way.

My Springfield 1911 is also carried chambered but I always carry with safety ON. For some reason it just seems like a good idea to carry that way with that gun.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
With a single action that has a very short trigger pull, it would be wise to carry with the safety on.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Safety on...it's what's for carry.

·
Banned
116 Posts
The gun is designed to be carried "cocked and locked" and doesn't have the passive safeties of the modern polymers.

Random tangent: ambidextrous thumb safety of the XD is optional. Its really not required for saftey anymore than it is on a Glock; I imagine its optional for certain police department requirements or something. When I bought my XD45, I didn't even notice that the actual one we took out of the case had this optional safety.

I'm pretty ambivalent about its usage; so far though I've practiced holstering with the safety on, and snapping it off on the draw.

Since I also have a PM9 which is my real EDC I will probably revert to not using the thumb saftey at all on the XD for consistency.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Safety on. Practice drawing as you flip off the safety. It will become an autonomous response after time.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
When my Kimber comes out of the holster, the safety comes off without me even thinking about it...natural motion and part of the draw.:yup:

Empty your 1911 and draw and remove the safety 200 times a day, 10 days in a row, it will then be etched into your brain.:yup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Page

The Conditions of Readiness:

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. They are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

The mode of readiness preferred by the experts is Condition One.

Generally speaking, Condition One offers the best balance of readiness and safety. Its biggest drawback is that it looks scary to people who don't understand the operation and safety features of the pistol.
----
:wave:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 1911 is ALWAYS cocked/locked with a chambered round, although the safety is ALWAYS engaged as well :yup:
The 1911 has a very sensitive SA trigger in which a accidental discharge could happen very very easily. I use to carry Glock's and while there is no manual safety the trigger pull has to me more deliberate on a Glock, still not like our DAO Kahr but Glock does utilize that little trigger safety so the pull has to be quite direct unlike the 1911.
Please never ever carry a 1911 cocked/locked without the manual safety engaged :gah:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
What you need is a Para Ordnance LDA 1911. It is DAO and can be carried safely with the safety off or on a loaded chamber.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts