Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A maintainability question for you S&W M&P owners: how often, if ever, do you guys perform complete teardowns of your M&P pistolas? I don't mean a mere field-strip - I mean complete disassembly of the slide assembly and frame assembly in order to get the gunk out?

I'm used to shooting 1911's and Glocks. Several times each year, everything gets a complete disassembly and cleaning so I can clean out all the gunk that has deposited in the FP channels, plunger holes and elsewhere. I acknowledge that my reloads may not burn as clean as factory ammo, so I may see more gunk than usual.

But I'm mainly concerned about removing the spring roll pins. Tearing down a 1911, and especially a Glock, seems like a relatively simple and low-risk procedure compared to the M&P and so many other pistols out there that require a hammer and punch to knock out these darn spring roll pins. I've always been apprehensive about just how many times you can knock out a roll pin before you screw up the hole that it goes into. I mean, you can easily replace a roll pin, but you can't make a hole smaller.

So what are you guys doing? Just brushing it out or spraying it out as best you can? Swishing it around in Diesel fuel? Dishwasher? Or just being really careful with the pins?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Once a year I take the back plate off the slide and remove the striker assembly, leave the frame and trigger & associated parts in tact, then put it all in my ultrasonic cleaner for 10 mins. Once the parts are taken out and dry I lube it back up (not the striker and channel) and put it back together. All 3 of mine are reliable as a timex.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I detail strip my primary M&P annually, but my M&P's that get far less range time only get details stripped if I am bored or they just seem like they need it. My department still issues the M&P and we also have to turn them into an armorer annually for a detail strip, inspection, and deep cleaning. Same as we did when we were issued Glocks.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I clean the firing pin channel, ect but do not punch out roll pins. I do shoot reloads and just scrub and use a air compressor occasionally to keep it clean above normal field strip procedures.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
12 Posts
corollary to inquiry

Excellent question, that. And while we have the attention of you Shield gurus, what extra parts do you think we should we keep on hand for when the SHTF?]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an M&P9c that is about 2 years old. I have put 2200 rounds through it. I have taken the slide completely apart once. Mainly to inspect the parts and clean the striker channel. To my surprise it was not too dirty. I have never taken the lower apart. I just clean what I can get to when I do my regular cleanings. As far as spare parts, the only spare part I keep is a recoil spring.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I was young I completely broke down my sidearms as required by failing performance or at least once each year. I did not consider this drudgery but instead a form of relaxing recreation away from the daily chaos of the business world.

Today, I only field strip my guns and do so after each range session. At eighty-five and arthritic, I can no longer handle small screws, pins and springs. As a consequence, I employ the services of a friend who is a master smith to thoroughly break down, inspect, replace and tweak if necessary any parts that he finds wanting.

My old school training and years of experience are simply to keep a firearm reliable, properly functioning and able to fire each time the trigger is squeezed. To do so, I think it should be periodically inspected, always clean and lightly lubricated so that it is able to be used at a moments notice.

Reactions: scottync

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...able to be used at a moments notice.
I prefer at least two WEEKS prior-notice of a defensive handgun requirement. That way, I can book a cheap flight to be in another...time zone. :image035:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts