Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the xdtalk forum and did not get an answer.

Does anyone out there have the Mec-Gar 18 round magazine? Any problems with them? Do they flush fit in the Service model? I have the Sub-Compact and am interested in buying one if I can put the mag x-tension on it and have it flush fit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I asked this question in the xdtalk forum and did not get an answer.

Does anyone out there have the Mec-Gar 18 round magazine? Any problems with them? Do they flush fit in the Service model? I have the Sub-Compact and am interested in buying one if I can put the mag x-tension on it and have it flush fit.

I bought an XD9 sub. I hate the 16 round mag with the spacer because it doesnt feel solid. I normally carry my G23, but if I do carry the XD I use the 10 round flush fit. Sorry I didn't answer your question.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't use aftermarket mags for carry. I have the XDsc .40, and I use two 9 round mags with Pearce grip extensions and thats it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm with Ernie on the abnormal feel of the high cap magazine with spacer. You can feel it moving from side to side which should make one wonder how much stress is being put on the magazine catch. I purchased grip enhancers for my flush mount XD mags for the comfort. That little bit changed how it felt immensely.

I've considered purchasing a high cap mag for my M&P9C (would serve the same function as the one you want) and buy the X-grip spacer for it, but again it's not something that feels positive in the hand.

As long as the Mec-Gear mag is meant for the bigger XD (same series as yours just the large frame model), then it should work with a grip spacer. Not saying it will, just that it should. Do some extensive research on the Mec-Gear mags to see if they're prone to problems like ProMag before you choose to go with that product.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I would get a 13 rd and call it a day

·
Registered
366 Posts
as of The first of july the newer xd compact 9mm are coming out with a 13 mag, and a 16 mag....
where the pre july came with a 10 mag and 16.

mine was test fired march and it came with 10, and my buddies was tested in july and came with a 13 mag

even my dealer didnt know this....

springfield is now showing a 13 mag for the subcompact that you can buy.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I have the 16's, and have not heard of the 18's. I have no issues with the 16's, other than how far they stick out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I should clarify. I have the 13 round flush fit compact magazine with a Pearce grip extension on it. That is what I normally carry when I appendix carry this gun. When I carry in my Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:00 I can easily hide the gun with the 16 round magazine with the X-Tension on it. I was wondering if the Mec-Gar magazine will flush fit with the X-Tension on it or not.

Thanks for all the input so far though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only use the Springfield XD mags(no after market) I dont like the extended mags either JMO

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I don't use aftermarket mags for carry. I have the XDsc .40, and I use two 9 round mags with Pearce grip extensions and thats it.
I only use the Springfield XD mags(no after market) I dont like the extended mags either JMO
Same here. I've even used Beretta 92FS mags and had the notch cut into them, but that was when the XD first came out. Nowadays, you don't need to use the 92fs mags.
I wouldn't consider Mec-Gar magazines "after-market". There's a good chance that they supply Springfield with magazines as they are an original equipment supplier to several manufacturers and manufacture excellent quality magazines.

I can't answer the OP's question, but just wanted to clear up that Mec-Gar shouldn't be lumped in with Pro-Mag, Triple-K, National Magazine, and others.

Hoss

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Mec Gars work great. They stick out slightly further than the 16 rounders. You probably would not notice a difference unless you had both mags side by side. Think of a 1911 mag with a base pad.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do some extensive research on the Mec-Gear mags to see if they're prone to problems like ProMag before you choose to go with that product.
MecGar mag’s are considered by most to be high quality and reliable. They have manufactured OE mags for numerous gun manufacturers for many years.

ProMag products, IMO, are hit or miss with regard to quality and reliability. They’re fine for the range (malfunction practice drills), but I would never feel safe using one in a carry pistol.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just got a couple 13 rounders and 18 rounders.
Have not range tested them yet.

The 13s seem just fine. (that last round was HARD)

The 18 rounders seem to go in ok, but I almost need a hammer and punch to push the mag release!
NOT tactical!

Fooey!

Waste of money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts