Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get a .357 revolver*, and after doing some research comparing specs & prices, the Ruger GP100 is looking like it's the best option for me.

With that in mind, I wanted ask any GP100 owners here on the forum; are you happy with the gun, or, would you buy something different if you had the chance to do it over again?

*(Not getting it for a CC weapon.)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Well I don't own one but have one in my safe on load from my brother in law. Ruger makes great wheel guns and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 100s. Personally I just prefer Smith and Wesson over the Rugers. Buy either with 100 percent confidence.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I use mine for Grizzly bear defense and as such I only shoot heavy and stout loads through my 5" GP100 (180 or 200 grain hardcast). There is not another 357 revolver that is built as tough. There are smoother actions (although mine is very,very smooth) but, none tougher for a steady diet of stout loads. For general carry I might take an early pre-lock Smith instead but, for my uses I will stick with the Ruger. Smith is the winner of the BBQ gun title, Ruger is the backwoods champ. My opinion.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I think that the GP100 is a fine weapon and I've not had any trouble with a well maintained and properly assembled one. There are some downsides of course, but I don't consider them downsides enough to not own one. One of those is that the Rugers are a bit rougher than their S&W counterparts in my experience. You will find some grittiness in most stock triggers and hammers, and you will often find more machining marks and blemishes. Don't forget that Rugers are cast, whereas S&W is forged, so generally the Ruger is going to be a bit beefier and "uglier" than the S&W.

That doesn't mean "Rugers suck", because they darn well do not suck. It comes down to design and there are various differences in, say, a GP100 vs a 686. A lot of people also consider Rugers stronger because of "Ruger only" loads. The issue with that argument is that it basically is about the .45 Colt and SAA weapons. S&W doesn't really deal in that area, so they don't have to worry about the really hot handloads and boutique rounds. Ruger for a long time had to make their examples a lot beefier and heavier to handle those "rocket loads". You'll see that guns such as the New Vaquero are turning back around and won't handle those crazy hot loads. Why? The guns got so big and cumbersome not many were buying them.

The .44 magnum is another example of "Ruger only" loads, but that has more to do with Ruger making their guns with longer chambers, which in turn allows for hotter loadings.

To make a long story short, Rugers are fine and so is the GP100. In the .357 chambering, you don't have to worry about any of the above. It's just some back story to some things you might hear when people inevitably start saying "get an S&W instead, they're better".

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My father owns one but I've carried it and shot it more than he has. Prior to obtaining my own dedicated black bear pistol, I would carry his when I helped people run dogs and when I drew a tag myself.

I like it (I would have said love a year ago but my since-then aquired Security Six gets that affection) and if I were to buy a brand new mid-size .357 (or .44 Spl) revolver, it'd be the GP100. Its a bit hefty but with that comes recoil absorption and its a damn strong revolver that will digest .357 loads long after you hand it down. Easy to take down and give a good scrubbing. While Ruger is known for heavy triggers, I find the hammer spring poundage (14lbs, IIRC) is just right for the size. My SP101 had the same factory spring weight as the 100 and that was too much for that smaller gun, so I swapped in a lighter one.

If its just for shooting, maybe a 5" or 6" model would work for you. My preference is 4", since I feel it is long enough for fun shooting and short enough to carry through the woods. My father's GP100 is 4" and so is my Security Six (the GP100's predecessor).

I'd say both my father and I are happy with the GP100.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think the Wiley Clapp GP100 with the 3" barrel, unique cylinder flutes, and Novak sights is a great looking gun. I don't know how much 357 juice is lost with a short barrel but it's a sweet looking firearm.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I've had one for probably about 25 years and it's a fine revolver. It's heavy but if you're not CCing it, that shouldn't really matter much. I usually carry mine as my sidearm when hunting. It'll do the job but boy it rings my bell every time I shoot it in the field. If I were doing it all over I might opt for something quieter :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have a GP100. Great action and trigger. Very accurate. Not a bunch of screws to work loose. Rugers have gone up in price. There is only about $75 price difference in the GP100 and the S&W 686. Just a little more for the 686+, which gives you an extra round.
I use to be on the Ruger is stronger band wagon until Smith came out with ther 686 (mod 69) in 44 mag and Ruger balked and came out with a 44 special.
The GP100 is a great gun, so is the 686. I already have a GP100, so if I was looking to buy another I would go with S&W just to have both.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ruger Revolvers are second to none. It's the only revolver that I personally would buy, and I'm sure there are plenty of other wheelie gun fans that would agree.

You can not go wrong buying a Ruger Revolver. And there's not only plenty of GP100 flavors to choose from, but also the SP101 is ah mighty fine wheel gun too.

You didn't say what your intended use is but there are plenty of 357mag Ruger Revolvers in their stable too choose from.

The SP101 has a smaller grip then the GP100, but it's every bit as good as the GP100, it's only ah bit smaller so easier to CC. But if you did decide to go that route Hogue makes a great pistol grip to add too the SP101 for a fuller grip.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I love mine. I've shot it for many years in IDPA, and the last year in ICORE. It was well broken in when I bought it and I've put another 30K+ through it.

If I were buying one today, I'd go for a Match Champion. It has some nice additional features like chamfered charge holes and some changes in the lock work that result in a smoother trigger. That said, buying one would mean retiring Old Faithful, so I haven't bothered.

Drop a 9 or 10# spring* in (takes all of 10 minutes) for an instant trigger job. Dry fire the snot out of it to build up your trigger finger and grip and smooth out the trigger even more. Replace the front sight with a HiViz fiber optic (takes all of 10 seconds) for a much better sight picture on a stock GP.

Shoot it 'til the cylinder face is black and the forcing cone looks like a Waffle House grease trap. Clean, lube, repeat!

*only for range or game guns. Stick with 11-12# or factory for defensive use unless you really know your primers. I have maybe 1/1000 light strikes with a 9# spring and Federal primers, but that's 1/1000 too many for a CC gun.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. That didn't take long lol. Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Based on the responses here, there aren't any serious complaints or any indication at all that the GP100 would be a bad purchase. The mentioned points in favor of the GP100 are impressive. And coming from those who own them or have had experience shooting them is precisely what I was looking for. Thank you!! (Personally, I like the GP100 model with the 4.20" barrel and the black finish.)

I was looking at the S&W 686, and I have no doubt they're as fine a revolver as advertised. However, my having a .357 revolver falls in the want category, rather than need category, so I don't want to spend a penny more than necessary.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I've decided to get a .357 revolver*, and after doing some research comparing specs & prices, the Ruger GP100 is looking like it's the best option for me.

With that in mind, I wanted ask any GP100 owners here on the forum; are you happy with the gun, or, would you buy something different if you had the chance to do it over again?

*(Not getting it for a CC weapon.)
Definitely stick with the GP100 .... best one in my opinion. One thing good about the GP100 versus others is, it is much much easier to break down to thoroughly clean if you want to, and less parts then others..... with less issues and parts to fail. Functions perfectly and built well. Very accurate.

I would highly recommend the GP100 to anyone.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I don't have a GP100 but I have been VERY happy with my little SP101 (chambered in .357 Magnum.) One of these days I'll get a GP100 for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
I do like my Ruger wheelies. The GPs see woods and range time. Their little brother SP101 does get carried on occasion. They're all built like tanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a 6" GP100 I got used and cheap about a month ago. I ran about 200 rounds thru it at the range after I got it. It's a heck of a gun. The weight just soaks up recoil like I can't believe.

One thing I love that I haven't seen talked about is it is very easy to tear down. You can get everything including the trigger assembly out very easily.

I love it enough that I really wish it had a shorter barrel for use as a CCW. A lot of folks buy lightweight .357s and run .38 +P in them , but a GP100 with a 3" or maybe 4" barrel and loaded with a pretty stout .357 cartridge would be a fantastic carry gun.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I don't know how much 357 juice is lost with a short barrel but it's a sweet looking firearm.
As far as I'm aware (and I am no ballistics expert), not enough for it to be a serious detriment for two-legged defensive purposes. The advantage of a bit easier carrying makes up for it IMHO. For putting meat on the table, I'd want no less than a 6 inch barrel to really milk the power out of the round.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have a GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. Its a damn good gun. Its well built and accurate. The thing I dislike the most about it is I am used to my 3 inch j-frame 357 mag, so there is very little wrist breaking or recoil involved. Its boring.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts