Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In South Carolina we can't carry in a resturant that serves alcohol. (We REALLY need to change that law)

What if, you are in downtown Greenville at a resturant that serves alcohol BUT, you sit at a table outside on the public sidewalk?

You are technically on the public sidewalk and perfectly legal to carry. If you never set foot inside are you okay to carry, provided you don't drink?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Concealed is concealed..... This is truly one piece of the law that HAS to be changed.

Of course I can't promote you breaking the law.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too, would like to know the answer to this question.. I live between easley and greenville and visit G'ville often. And getting my CWP soon so it wold be nice to know..

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Sounds like a good question to pose to your AG.

As long as your on a public sidewalk you should be OK, but the AG can give you a definite answer one way or the other.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds Reasonable

I am not familiar with the details of the law but it sounds like "outside" of the premises would be ok. To me it would be the same thing as walking past the "outside" of any not allowed to carry place. Again this is just my gut feeling and not necessarily the facts. I am interested in seeing what someone in the know has to say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My instructor told my class that the law on restuarants that serve liquer and cc is "vague" at best. He also said it needs to be clarified because it is so open to interpretation by the prosecutor who might decide to push the issue if he/she were anti-gun and that it probably won't be clarified unless someone is willing to become a "test case".

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My instructer said the same thing. In fact if you go to the SLED site the prohibition about restaurants serving alchol is not even on the main list of places where you may not carry. For a short time Grassroots SC stoped pushing becauase some said it was really legal and the prohibition came about for crimes.

I decided not to become a test case. The senator who sponsered the CWP on school property revison is also involved in changing the restaurant rules.

One has to realize that the "overworked" SC legislation ends in June and does not start again till January.

·
Registered
785 Posts
While I would NEVER advocate anyone (including me) break the law...

As more and more s**t goes down in more and more places, I am becoming less and less concerned about the pure, basic laws of where and when I can legally carry.

Concealed is concealed, and, if done properly, no one will ever know - unless you need it to do something like, oh...let's say - SAVE YOUR LIFE!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
From a legal standpoint, many cities require that restaurants have a permit to put tables on the sidewalk. I would think dining on the sidewalk under the appropriate permit would make the sidewalk part of the restaurant for legal purposes.

just a thought...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My instructer said the same thing. In fact if you go to the SLED site the prohibition about restaurants serving alchol is not even on the main list of places where you may not carry. For a short time Grassroots SC stoped pushing becauase some said it was really legal and the prohibition came about for crimes.

I decided not to become a test case. The senator who sponsered the CWP on school property revison is also involved in changing the restaurant rules.

One has to realize that the "overworked" SC legislation ends in June and does not start again till January.
Ditto... Said my piece on this subject many times. The AG is the only thing really makes this law exist really... but who wants to challenge?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts