Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you guys zero your fiber optic pins, are you setting your zero for the colored center of the Pin? In my case I have a black housing that surrounds the fiber optic, (similar to the front site of a pistol) and for the last two years I've set my zero for the end of the pin, similar to my focus point on for my personal pistol shooting. I'm thinking because of possible early morning and late evening shots I should probably set it for the center of the fiber optic. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I center the pin on the target. I'm sure that's not the only way. I know the bowhunter class 3D guys learn to gap pins, so they shot centered, high, low, all kids of stuff. The good ones know where that arrow will hit based on yardage and pin position on target.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Center of the fiber optic dot. But my sights there isn't too much black housing visible on mine and the dot is really on the end of the pin.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just get a crossbow with a scope. It's like shooting rifle.
Yeah I thought about that, I think I'll stick with a bow because I think there is more skill and stealth involved and will make me an overall better hunter. I know during rifle season I can walk out in my undies with a cup of coffee and crocs and drop a deer if needed. I'm in for the thrill and the accomplishment. I have no issue with anyone hunting with a crossbow, but since I'm healthy enough to pull one right now I'll stick with a bow.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yeah I thought about that, I think I'll stick with a bow because I think there is more skill and stealth involved and will make me an overall better hunter. I know during rifle season I can walk out in my undies with a cup of coffee and crocs and drop a deer if needed. I'm in for the thrill and the accomplishment. I have no issue with anyone hunting with a crossbow, but since I'm healthy enough to pull one right now I'll stick with a bow.
Your are right. There is a LOT more skill associated when you hunt with a compound or re-curve bow.

Like I said shooting a crossbow is like shooting a rifle.

However, hunting whitetail or other game animals or predators is difficult regardless of the tools you use.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However, hunting whitetail or other game animals or predators is difficult regardless of the tools you use.
Well partially true! VA has a ton of whitetail, our urban archery season is 6 months limitless tags. Our top predator is: BMW 7 Series Overview - BMW North America.

Most of our deer can be killed by hitting them in the head with a golf ball thrown from a tree stand.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Well partially true! VA has a ton of whitetail, our urban archery season is 6 months limitless tags. Our top predator is: BMW 7 Series Overview - BMW North America.

Most of our deer can be killed by hitting them in the head with a golf ball thrown from a tree stand.
We have a few whitetail here in GA as well. Even the close in suburban areas of Atlanta have quite a few deer. I have two tree stands on two different tracts of property where I can see the skyline of Downtown Atlanta which is maybe 10 miles away.

However, they are still a challenge to hunt.

Starting to see a number of coyotes on my trail cams too.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I have .010 pins.
Top pin is 10 & 20 yards. 10 biased towards the top, 20 biased towards the bottom.
Then 30, 40, 50, and 60 is centered.
Since with archery you focus on the target, not the pins (opposite of firearms), it's kind of a moot point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have .010 pins.
Top pin is 10 & 20 yards. 10 biased towards the top, 20 biased towards the bottom.
Then 30, 40, 50, and 60 is centered.
Since with archery you focus on the target, not the pins (opposite of firearms), it's kind of a moot point.

Pat Thank you very much, well that stinks, so basically I've been doing it all wrong for over 3 years. Well that sucks and I'm supposed to be on stand tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Pat Thank you very much, well that stinks, so basically I've been doing it all wrong for over 3 years. Well that sucks and I'm supposed to be on stand tomorrow morning.
No wrong or right, just what works for you.
I got some instruction from an Olympic coach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts