Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking today....(I know, I know)....I'm looking for some opinions from the single people of the forum. :wave:

You're single, you're dating and you CCW. :yup:

How do you handle the question when it comes up? Could be your first date or your fifth, but the question will arise from your date....Why are you carrying a gun?

Now keep in mind that you wish to see this girl, (or guy) again.

Give me your thoughts on the conversation that will take place between the two of you over you carrying your CCW.

Let's say the conversation starts after a hug or kiss and they ask, "What's that? Is that a gun? Why are you carrying it?"

Opinions please ladies and gentlemen. :confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Now keep in mind that you wish to see this girl, (or guy) again.
If she's a rabid anti, I don't think so.

Anyway, my answer to her question would be:

"What's that? Is that a gun? Why are you carrying it?"
"Because I firmly believe that it is a human right to do so."

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the same reason I have insurance and carry a first aid kit in my car. You hope you never need it but it will be there if I do.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I didn't mention it till the second date. But then, my girlfriend worked at a sporting good/gun store, hunts too , carries knives and other weapons herself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you do CCW properly; it'll should only come up if you allow it to... By then I expect, you'll likely know that person well enough to know what to say.

Eric Howland

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'd explain my reasons that I carry and she could either be neutral about it, love it and get one herself, or hate it and not bug me about it.

Luckily for me, I found one that likes firearms and just took the CCW course herself.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
:biggrin2: My wife lied to me: she went to the range with me, and told me she had fun! Now she confesses that the "Boom!" gives her the shakes. Ah, well......:buttkick:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's not such a different question for marrieds who decide to start carrying after they are married. A lot of the same issues at play.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldnt say anything until either she brushes up against it or I have to take it off.............:image035:

Then I'd just tell her the same thing I would tell anyone else. Because its my right to take my and my loved ones safety into my own hands.

Then I would hope that she doesnt misunderstand that statement as saying I love her!

·
Registered
791 Posts
How about, "No, that's not a gun in my pocket, I'm just happy to see you"? OK, sorry, no one had made a lousy joke yet so I felt compelled to do so.

When I started the process to get my CCW my wife asked me why and I said pretty much what everyone else here as said. Because it may be necessary one day, though I hope that day never comes.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
"I choose to take responsibility for my own safety and protection. It is my ''spare tire'', my ''fire-extinguisher'', my smoke detector, and my "homeowner's and auto insurance. All of these I hope never to have to use but consider them all prudent."

·
Registered
822 Posts
I get it over with during the "small talk". I don't come out and say that I carry, or show it off, or start reading from the federalist papers.

No, if I feel comfortable with the person I'll steer the converstion to something that contains opinions on firearms (like watching a movie and say something like, "Hey, I think that is a HK/SIG/ETC (even if I don't really know what it is)" and watch the expressions, or how they will respond.

Then, either way (positive or negative) I start to dig alittle deeper with innocent questions, acting like I'm joking around, etc.. (so I don't scare them into jumping to the conclusion that I own guns/carry).

How they respond decides what actions (go and see others, try to get them off the fence, take em to firing range on next date lol) I will take.

Wayne

·
Registered
216 Posts
By the time it became an issue, my now wife knew that I was a cut from a different mold than most. She still refers to me as "Liberty Freak", "Freedom Junkie", and my favorite "Extreme Boy Scout" on occasion when she knows that I am armed in even the "safest" of situations.

She ribs me a bit about it most of the time, but has admitted that she is glad I take the safety of myself and family so seriously.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Well, I'm no longer single, but when I was....

I would ankle carry until I chose to bring up the subject, so I wouldn't be put on the spot if I was "made." It's easy for a guy to feel up my gun if he puts his arm around me.

And I wanted do my best to control how and when I discussed the CCW thing - I had a better chance of things going "my way."

Usually subjects like favorite hobbies come up on first dates, so I'd mention guns. I would say I have firearms for sport, hunting and defense, but I'd leave out the part about me actually carrying a gun on me, mainly not to spook the other person, and for personal safety reasons. I'd get a bearing on how the other person feels about guns before I went any further. If he was receptive, or better yet, a gunnie, and I felt like we were "clicking," then I'd tell him more as the dating continued.

If the person was against me carrying, well.... that was a sign to move on. At least I'd find out before I fell head over heels with a schmuck.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nicely said Betty.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just say "Because I love you and care about you and always want to be able to protect you." Oh GOD, I said that with a straight face!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
813 Posts
If she is agreeable to your reasons to carry see her again and pick up the check for dinner.

If not, have the waitstaff split the check and call it a night.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I myself am never in a rush to talk about firearms/hunting/ccw with anyone, much less a girl that I’m on a date with. I don’t want people to think I’m a "crazy gun nut".
Like Betty I wait until the subject of hobbies comes up. Even then I take it slow. I tell them "I like to shoot firearms" or something like that. If that doesn’t make them nervous I will move a step further as time passes, and so on.
Wait a second I do basically the same as Betty did!(sorry Betty I just re-read your post.:redface: )
I would ankle carry until I chose to bring up the subject, so I wouldn't be put on the spot if I was "made." It's easy for a guy to feel up my gun if he puts his arm around me.
That’s a great Idea! Thanks:yup: . Plus if it is a "one night stand" situation I can just excuse myself to the bathroom to unstrap my holster.

On the other hand, my ex-GF wasn’t big on CCW much. But I did help put things into perspective for her. Several dates/GF's I told outright, cause I could sense that it wouldn’t be an issue for them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts