Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting some new straight cut grips for my Kimber TLE. I just added a magwell, plus I am not a fan of the factory grips. I have narrowed my choices down to either Simonich Gunner grips or some VZ grips. I have not had a chance to personally handle the Gunner grips, but I have heard that they are somewhat tacky. I am awaiting the arrival of my Milt Sparks rig and will be CCW this TLE daily. I usually conceal with just a T-shirt. My question is will this tackiness of the grips grab my shirt and make me print or reveal the weapon when I move? Does anyone know of stores that carry Gunner grips so I can handle them before I choose? Thanks!

P.S. Attached is a picture of the TLE with the new magwell. It is the part from Kimber (MSH with magwell). Fit and finish are perfect, and it dropped right in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had Gunner Grips on my weapon for about 18 monthes. I have not had any prblem with them grabbing my shirt and exposing my weapon. I do not think you will have an issue with them exposing your weapon. I certainly would not describe the texture as tacky. Abrasive would be a better word.

When wearing light gloves they provide excellent purchase on the weapon. Unfortunately, they are a bit rough on bare skin. When I first installed them, it took about a week's worth of dry-fire/live-fire to condition my hands so that they were not an issue. It is a non-issue for me now.

I have heard of some people lightly going over the edges with a file in an effort to make them less abrasive. That seems awfully time consuming to me. If I were going to do that, I would probably just buy a different type of grips.

FWIW, I appreciate the extra measure of control the abrasiveness of the grips provide and I would not consider using any other grips on my weapon.:hand10:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Essex Gun

I built a match 1991 on an essex frame and slide which I added Simonich Grips. I love them. They are not tacky at all and I get many good comments from people who see the gun and ask what kind of grips they are. One additional thing I would recommend is that you buy a Gripmaster exercise thingy for improving your grip. Regardless of the tyoe grip you use, having a stronger hand grip works well.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Give the XT Ergo grips a try, the come in different colors as well....

here is one of my 1911s with them on it. I have these grips on 3 of my 1911s.....

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
goawayfarm said:
Give the XT Ergo grips a try, the come in different colors as well....

here is one of my 1911s with them on it. I have these grips on 3 of my 1911s.....
i have a set here I'm going to put on my combat commander when i pick it up this coming weekend

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I shot an IDPA match with a set of Gunner Grips I had just put on my BHP. Ended up with a bleeding hand. Mine have a surface that reminds me of a wood rasp. Definitely going to smooth them out just a bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Take a look at the VZ Operator Grips. These grips are awesome. I have two sets of them. Some other grips I used would chaffe on my skin after a while carrying IWB without a tee shirt or a wife beater on between the grip and my skin. The grip surface is pretty soft feeling for lack of a better word. But when you grip and apply a bit of pressure to the pistol these grips really grab on to my hands and hold tight, even on a hot day with sweaty hands. I can shoot all day and never get sore or bleeding hands from the grips.

I spoke to John VanZyck both times I ordered my Operator Grips. He was great about helping me decide on the grips and was willing to exchange grips if I had any problems and wanted to try another style. VZ also has a 14 day return policy. I am very happy with these Operator Grips and have not found any reason to try any others since I got my first set.

http://www.vzgrips.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a set of the VZ grips, the Black Green Linen Micarta, on my parkerized Springfield 1911. Better looking and better feeling than the factory grips. I love 'em. Can't speak on the others, never tried them...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info. Been doing some more research and I think I am leaning towards the grips Brian45 suggested (VZ Operator). When I get them I will post pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I buy new grips (whichever ones I choose), do I need to get new grip screws? I seem to see a lot of people getting them. Are they needed or just new ones for looks?

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I got my first set of VZ Operator Grips and installed them on my Springfield the factory screws did stick out a bit more than I liked. I called John VanZyck to ask about this. He sent me a set of his Slex head screws for free and no shipping charges. The new screws had a little thinner head and worked great. The Operator Grips are a little bit thinner than any of my SA factory grips so this made the difference.

VZ Grips has great customer service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys. Can someone PM or e-mail me John's e-mail address. I cannot log onto the site at work (web filter :aargh4: ). Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts