Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... This hit me in the way home.. Say you was in a state that didn't allow you to Conceal carry, let alone carry loaded in a car. Say also that you had a gun safe/vault in your car/truck. Say you was stopped and asked if you had any weapons on you and you answered "no"... Say the LEO spotted your safe bolted down and locked. If they asked you to open it, would you have to?

Also - say marshal law fell upon the states,.. If your guns was in your house and in a gun vault, how could they force you to open it???

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
From a retired LEO. No you would not have to open any locked item in your vehicle and he can't legally search a secured item without your consent or a warrant. This goes for your glovebox, trunk, console even a locked briefcase.
He can search areas you have access to where a weapon can be concealed for his safety, such as between the seats, under the seats, etc. If he wants to do that, request to exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
631 Posts
From a retired LEO. No you would not have to open any locked item in your vehicle and he can't legally search a secured item without your consent or a warrant. This goes for your glovebox, trunk, console even a locked briefcase.
He can search areas you have access to where a weapon can be concealed for his safety, such as between the seats, under the seats, etc. If he wants to do that, request to exit the vehicle.
Actually this is not quite true. And officer CAN search those places inside a vehicle where the registration/insurance paperwork may be located IF such paperwork is not presented when requested by the officer. This includes closed/locked areas of the vehicle including any cases or bags inside the car (even if the case/bag is in the locked trunk).

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Actually this is not quite true. And officer CAN search those places inside a vehicle where the registration/insurance paperwork may be located IF such paperwork is not presented when requested by the officer. This includes closed/locked areas of the vehicle including any cases or bags inside the car (even if the case/bag is in the locked trunk).
Actually, not quite true again. That would be true only if there is an exigent circumstance, and registration could not be verified by some other means. Proof of insurance can be shown at a later time, I can't come up with an exigent circumstance where insurance must be shown immediately.

So 99 out of 100 times, no, the safe could not be searched based on the given senario.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Being retired LEO (thanks for your public service), you might not know of the most recent Supreme Court decision regarding search consent. Once the driver is no longer in direct control of the vehicle (ie keys out of the ignition or out of the vehicle) consent is required. Officers can no longer search "for their safety" without consent, even if they've seen something in the approach to contact that would be a separate issue from the initial cause for the stop.

It was a very poor decision on the part of the Supreme Court and my suspicion is that some government employees (not just the Fed) were getting agitated over having their vehicles searched. Ultimately it could result in anything discovered being deemed "fruit of the forbidden tree" and indamissable in court as consent was not granted or a warrant was not issued.

That is what my campus PD folks showed our officers so we knew what change had occurred. That is, if nothing has overturned that decision within the past few months.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Arizona, so it don't matter to me here,.. but on a legal aspect, you could carry a loaded weapon in a safe/vault secured to your car/truck with ammo (like in california or New york) and if stopped an LEO couldn't force you to open it up if they thought you had a weapon,.. Is that what I'm hearing?

BTW - Thanks for the imput,.. :)

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Ok... This hit me in the way home.. Say you was in a state that didn't allow you to Conceal carry, let alone carry loaded in a car. Say also that you had a gun safe/vault in your car/truck. Say you was stopped and asked if you had any weapons on you and you answered "no"... Say the LEO spotted your safe bolted down and locked. If they asked you to open it, would you have to?
Assert your fourth amendment rights and refuse to submit to unwarranted (previously illegal) search and seizure.

Also - say marshal law fell upon the states,.. If your guns was in your house and in a gun vault, how could they force you to open it???
By putting a gun to your head or beating you into submission?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Use a push button combination lock system. If forced, push the wrong buttons until it locks you out. Then claim you forgot the code since you just bought it/it's the wife's safe/etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have nothing to hide admit it.
When you deny it, they tend to want to look even more and then your day could be ruined !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts