Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you Glock Jocks, I have always wanted a Glock,those ugly creatures that no one likes and everyone dispises! But everytime I pick one up BAM, the feel is not there like my 1911's or even a Sig,most anything I pickup I can tolerate but as soon as I have a grip on a Glock something just doesn't feel right about it at ALL!!!
I've heard that,that' normal which sounds strange to me,is this normal? If so how long before this strange feeling disipates, what type of transition time is there adjusting to a Glock,do they shoot low/high? some history on there handling and why there like this I know the angle is different and I believe I heard there bore angle is very high.sell me on a Glock?

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I won't try to sell you on GLOCK. I will tell you that I thought the same way until I actually fired one (G21 - .45ACP). The major difference is, to me, the the high grip. This really reduces recoil/muzzle flip.

Do they shoot high/low? Every single one I've used shoots to point of aim.

As I understand it, the G17 (the 1st production GLOCK) was originally designed to fit the widest range of hand-sizes and still point well. It is a different feeling, but I suggest actually shooting one before passing judgement. No it does not feel like anything else, but that is not the point. The point is that it works.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Love a Glock.

I am actually the opposite of you ECHOONE. I just recently bought my first 1911 about 2 weeks ago. Before then all I have ever owned is Glocks. I have a G23, G17, G31, and a G36. I will agree with you that the feel is totally different than a 1911. But I don't think it is different in a bad way. As far as accuracy goes, every single Glock I have ever picked up and shot has been a perfectly straight shooter. I myself love the way they feel and shoot. Obviously each model has a slightly different feel, but like I said I love them all. Honestly you can't go wrong buying a Glock no matter how you look at it. I have tried talking myself out of buying a couple, but just couldn't come up with enough justifiable reasons not to. Just my humble two cents worth....

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I think RoadRunner71 pretty much said it best.

Not everyone is going to like the Glock. However, until you shoot them, you really won't know for sure if it's for you.

There two things about Glock you should remember before passing on it.

1) They are accurate! Consistently accurate. Right out of the box.

2) They are damn near bomb proof! Reliable as hell. They go bang every time!

So, if those two features are a high priority in your defensive weapon, then definitely go shoot a couple before you just pass over them.

Do they feel different? Yes! So what? There are military and law enforcement shooters all over the world who are crack shot marksmen who never even held a gun before the joined the military or law enforcement. It's all a matter of practice and training. Just like everything else in life.

If you "think" a Glock doesn't feel right, I bet you can still get used to it and one day end up wondering what the hell you were thinking.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I won't try to sell you on a Glock either. Let me just say that if you need to be sold on one, then Glock is probably not for you. Pistols as we all know don't "shoot" themselves....therefore, the Glocks don't shoot at all, and hence they are neither high nor low. Where the shots go with someone pulling the trigger depends on the trigger puller. Make your strong hand into a fist right now....then........find an object in the room, and point to it with your index finger and then raise your thumb like you are going to shoot a rubber band. Now......turn your hand just like that to the side where you can see a profile of it. (right hander's index finger should be pointing to the left now). What you see before you is the grip angle of a Glock pistol. Glocks have one of the lowest bore axis, and a high hold on the grip is recommended. I recommend you go shoot a Glock, and sell yourself on one. In my opinion, if it's not feeling right for you now, it probably never will. I've had plenty of pistols before my Glocks, and still have a SIG. Transitioning is easy for me actually. I've never pondered the thought of 'shooter break-in' before.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OK you Glock Jocks, I have always wanted a Glock,those ugly creatures that no one likes and everyone dispises! But everytime I pick one up BAM, the feel is not there like my 1911's or even a Sig,most anything I pickup I can tolerate but as soon as I have a grip on a Glock something just doesn't feel right about it at ALL!!!
In back to back sentences you gave a perfectly good reason to buy one and a perfectly good reason not to.

The 1911 always felt best to me, I ordered one (That still hasn't come in) and started shooting a G19 to have something to shoot until it arrived and now 1911's feel weird.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I felt exactly the same way until I picked up a Glock-36, it has the thinnest grip of all the Glocks. i bought it and loved it...it is now my EDC. Then came the Glock-26...then...well, you get the idea...it only takes the first one.:rolleyes:
My Kimbers now sit in the safe!:blink:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I have been shooting for over 35 years and never own a Glock until this year. I always loved the JMB style grip angle I guess. 1911's, Hi Powers, CZ's all felt perfect to me. I was not a Glock hater, I just never owned one and was not comfortable with the grip angle when I held one. But, thats all changed now. I have a G19 and G26 and I love these handguns for all the reasons Glocks are known for. It takes some time to get completely comfortable with the grip but I shoot them just as well as any other semi I own and I own around 25 semi's including SIG's, CZ's, 1911's, Hi Powers, XD, Kahr's and so forth. Just buy a Glock and shoot it.......if you just can not get comfortable with it, sell it. I think you will end up liking them a lot after you own one. They have not made me want to sell off all my other handguns but they are certainly a great addition to my CCW collection.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
LOL about 20 years for me!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
7 outa 8 said it as well or better than I can, Glocks got my vote! :hand10:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, I can tell you that I miss the glock 23 I bought for my ex last year, and hate the fact that I just don't have the funds to go buy another one. Reliable, concealable, high capacity, and just an all around almost perfect little pistol.

I'll be buying another one when the tax refund rolls around...

·
Registered
281 Posts
If so how long before this strange feeling disipates,
It goes away as soon as you buy an M&P to replace it :rofl:

Just kidding, don't listen to me, I'm a noob. In my selection process though I started out leaning toward the Glock until I shot the M&P. It just feels right. The Glock trigger seems a bit better but for me, the overall ergos of the M&P trumped it.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I'v shot a G21 & shot it very well,and the fist glock I shot was a g20 shot great , Might get a G19 on day Who knows ? ; ) H/D

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am actually in the opposite end of the boat. I find that 1911s are awkward feeling in my hands. New stocks can change that though. Sigs feel good, but my Glocks really fit my hands well.

If you’ve shot 1911s for 10 years and switch to a Glock it will feel different, maybe even uncomfortable. I don’t think you should buy a gun that doesn’t feel good in the hand, but if you do, you’ll get used to it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When I switched over from HK to GLOCK it took about 3 hours to get the draw down. The shooting? Well, that just happened.

Try Brian Enos' awareness drill 1: From low/ready, close your eyes and bring the (unloaded) pistol up on a blank (bullet-safe) wall. The sights should be lined up with each other, but not necessarily on a given target. If they are not, adjust your grip until they are. Repeat until the gun comes up, blind, and you find the sights lined up when you open your eyes.

The key is to FEEL the adjustment. When you have that nailed, repeat it until you hit it every time. Then we move one to Awareness Drill 2...<g>

Dan

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I've heard that,that' normal which sounds strange to me,is this normal? If so how long before this strange feeling disipates, what type of transition time is there adjusting to a Glock,do they shoot low/high? some history on there handling and why there like this I know the angle is different and I believe I heard there bore angle is very high.sell me on a Glock?
What you're referring to is the grip angle that Glock has. It's different and your wrist is positioned slightly more forward than a 1911. Having said that, if the shooter is not a total noobie to firearms he or she can shoot a Glock just fine and be accurate. They might not like it but to blame the gun's features on poor accuracy is pretty low IMO. A good shooter focuses on front sight and if drawing from a holster has their trigger finger indexed along the slide. Remember, if you point your finger at a target you never miss...run your finger along the slide and point at the target, dead on right? Simple concept.

I do understand where someone might not be immediately comfortable with a Glock. Personally I love them and shoot them very well. It's personal thing, just like a car or a pair of shoes.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The use of a Glock’s has it's own learning curve.

Not only is the grip different but so is the trigger pull, and getting use to both take time. But once your drawn to the dark side of the force, you may never venture back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just bought myself a G27 from Florida Gun Exchange! It should be at my FFL tomorrow! I almost went with a Springfield xd 40 subcompact until i got to hold a glock 27. It fit my small hands PERFECTLY. It was like God himself molded the grip to my hands size. Can't wait to shoot it!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Sacrilege!!!

My Kimbers now sit in the safe!:blink:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sacrilege. :twak: :spankme:

Just kidding, as long it it goes bang when you pull the trigger it is a good gun.

Great gun if 1911 :smile:

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
When I was looking to buy a G26 I tried several different times to like it. Couldn't do it. I became an M&P fan and have a 9c and a FS 45. I like them both. However, I picked up a G19 earlier this year and I've got to say that I really like the gun a bunch and I can actually shoot it better than my 9c. I'm transitioning to my FS 45 for winter carry. However, in the spring I will probably run a couple hundred rounds of carry ammo through it and make it my EDC. I don't know what it is with the Glocks, they seem to hook a bunch of people.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts