Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a revolver cylinder is cut for moon clips, can it be used without the moon clips?

Reactions: NavCop

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Only if it is a 45ACP, then you can use 45 AR (Auto Rim). Don't know about know about any for itty-bitty bullets. I use the 45AR in my S&W Model 25 rather than the moon clips.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
9mm revolvers (like a Ruger LCR) must use the moon clips.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My 38 special 442 Pro , 357 magnum 640 Pro , and my 9mm LCR can be used without the moonclips, although with the 9mm, you have to push em out with a pencil or something.

I very, very rarely ever use the moonclips, except of course with the 9mm. But then, I very, very rarely ever even shoot the 9mm. In fact I should sell it.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I believe the reason for the moon clips is it allows you to eject spent rounds. I'm not sure if it's the case in all revolvers but my LCR 9mm would shoot without moon clips but then you had to punch the spent rounds out by hand.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
As a general rule revolvers, chambered in revolver calibers and cut for moon clips, can be used without. As has been mentioned, the 640 Pro does just fine.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If I'm gonna carry a moonclip cut revolver, I'll use a moonclip because it speeds up the reload time and I'll either carry a speed strip or a speedloader (or both) in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Asking about 38 special. Looked at the 640 today which is why the question. Out of my budget for now.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
You can if it is a tapered case and it seats on the taper in the cylinder or if it has a rim. Without a rim, quick ejection of spent cases can be an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts