Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been known to ask some stupid questions in my life, so here comes another one.

I was looking through the foul language thread and noticed that folks would get notices(?) from the Mods and that there was some sort of points system here for "offenses." Could someone explain to me exactly how this all works? I was trying to find if I had any "points" against me but couldn't figure out how to do it. But, I'm pretty hopeless with computers, too.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Top of the screen... click on your screen name. Then there is a tab called "infractions". But you'll get PM'ed if you are getting flagged... you don't have to wonder. Or so I hear, I mean.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
You will know LOL

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Top of the screen... click on your screen name. Then there is a tab called "infractions". But you'll get PM'ed if you are getting flagged... you don't have to wonder. Or so I hear, I mean.
Yeah, you'll get notified. Trust me, on that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How come all of the replies come from VIP members? Are they the only ones who get the infraction points? :icon_neutral:

Reactions: 65108

·
Administrator
144,198 Posts
Well, I've been known to ask some stupid questions in my life, so here comes another one.

I was looking through the foul language thread and noticed that folks would get notices(?) from the Mods and that there was some sort of points system here for "offenses." Could someone explain to me exactly how this all works? I was trying to find if I had any "points" against me but couldn't figure out how to do it. But, I'm pretty hopeless with computers, too.
You have no infractions or warnings or infraction points.

Now when I just checked suntzu I thought (at first glance) that I was looking at a page ripped out of a dictionary....under the letter "I" :yup:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
How come all of the replies come from VIP members? Are they the only ones who get the infraction points? :icon_neutral:
No, but we've been 'round the dance floor enough to have seen what happens. Yes, some of us have been "dinged" once or twice, some erroneously. But when it comes right down to it, the in-and-out types who earn such infractions tend not to be around long. (You'll not be hearing from most of them, as they're no longer here.)

Now when I just checked suntzu I thought (at first glance) that I was looking at a page ripped out of a dictionary. :yup:
Word. But, Suntzu's such a nice poster. He couldn't possibly ... could he?? :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks QK and everyone else. No, not bummed Thunder, just pleasantly confused as per usual. Comes with the advancing years.

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
Don't worry, if you mess up you will receive a notification, and has been mentioned you can always check yourself. Fortunately most folks learn after a warning or their first couple of points. However, there have been those that have insisted on working their way up to the 50 point automatic ban level, and a couple that couldn't understand that we have, and enforce rules we have found over the years to be in the best interest of the forum (we call that death by Mod).

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You only get so many of um and you gain points for each one you get. sometimes you get just a warning and no points. once you get one though, they never go away; they do however expire.

Had a couple of run in's when I was a yearling.:embarassed: Yup, got the "Tee" shirt to prove it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
50 points, wow.

I got a warning once about a copyright and learned my lesson pretty quick.

There's a lot of people I don't see around anymore.. :D

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Get your post count high enough and I bet you get away with a few bad words here and there.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Get your post count high enough and I bet you get away with a few bad words here and there.
I'm convinced it has far more to do with name-calling, abusive use of the words that are used, or use of the few "bomb" words that aren't tolerated. Tangling/arguing with the mods also doesn't fly well. Nor does continued retorting/hijacking outside the OP's original post intent (that's one I'm intimately familiar with, myself :embarassed:; damn my stubborn nature, in that regard.).

As QK indicated, merely using a word here and there in speech isn't what does it. And folks of all stripes have been invited to leave, some fairly high post counts included.

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
You only get so many of um and you gain points for each one you get. sometimes you get just a warning and no points. once you get one though, they never go away; they do however expire.
Secret #2, Don't bet your account on expiration. We have special options for special people. :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
You'll know - It's not a contest, you seem bummed to have not gotten one - I wish I could get mine removed, it's like a scratch on a new car - I keep staring at it.
Yuh. I'm forgiven, but the marks are still there. It's tough on us OCD-types. :wink:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Secret #2, Don't bet your account on expiration. We have special options for special people. :smile:
I knew I was special. I just knew it.

To the OP, take this advise. Leave your attitude at the door. It will get you banned. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Here's a little tip:

After you have made a post, when you go back and read it in the forum... if there is a word you typed that now looks like ******, then click on the edit post button, and change that word to something more appropriate, and doesn't get filtered into asterisk symbols.

There is a time limit on how long you can go back and edit your posts. After that, you can not go back and edit, so take the time to read your post after you have posted it, to make sure your post makes sense and properly convey's your intentions.

If you just leave the ***** in your post, you will likely get a warning for trying to do a "creative workaround."

The filter works on most curse words, but not everything, so use your best judgment.

You should review forum Rule #4.

4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well. However, out in the real world, it's not so sanitary, when posting a video where it is intended to be used as a teaching tool, you have zero control over what other people say on the video. Whether it's a firearms instructor who may say a few bad words during the course of instruction, or whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to audio which has people using foul language. The staff feels we shouldn't lose that valuable information because of the bad language rule. A conspicuous warning posted along with the video should be sufficient to satisfy those who have delicate ears. NSFW should be in the thread title and a text warning regarding the language should in included above the link to the video in a post. THIS ALLOWANCE IS ONLY FOR INFORMATION THAT IS RELEVANT TO OUR FOCUS. It is not a pass to use profanity in posts or other usage of profanity on the forum.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts