Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Internet and I found three different Commander models (I do not refer to the new Commander XSE); I wonder if any of you can explain the differences between them. I am aware that they are not longer in production, but they still can be found NIB for sale. My other questions is if they are recommended for +p ammo. Thanks in advance for all your help :smile:

COLT 1911A1 Commander
COLT 1911 XS Commander
Colt Combat Commander Series 70

·
Registered
281 Posts
The commanders have aluminium frame. The Combat Commander is Steel frame. All have 4.25" barrel. 70 has no firing pin stop, I think the other do have (also known as series 80). The 1911a1 Likely has GI sites while the XS has target type or novak type sites.

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
I was looking at the Internet and I found three different Commander models (I do not refer to the new Commander XSE); I wonder if any of you can explain the differences between them. I am aware that they are not longer in production, but they still can be found NIB for sale. My other questions is if they are recommended for +p ammo. Thanks in advance for all your help :smile:

COLT 1911A1 Commander
COLT 1911 XS Commander
Colt Combat Commander Series 70
COLT 1911A1 Commander - Could this actually be 1991? There were no M1911A1 Commanders.

COLT 1911 XS Commander - It looks very much like the current XSE, but with a different rear sight and a better grip safety.

Colt Combat Commander Series 70 - This is probably an older pre-1983 pistol, AKA a Pre-Series 80, technically, there were no Series 70 Commanders.

They are all nice pistols in there own way.

Colt's 1991 series
http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q99-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

XS

XSE

Pre-Series 80

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Please don't temp me!
I know what you are talking about. It can be very hard to stay away from such a beautiful and reliable pistol that also is very easy to conceal, shoots a very powerful cartridge with a huge stopping power, do not lose much value, and it is a Colt. Not to forget about how sexy it looks. But there is not reason for why you should want to get such a pistol; right? :nono:
Does it feel better now :biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COLT 1911A1 Commander - Could this actually be 1991? There were no M1911A1 Commanders.

COLT 1911 XS Commander - It looks very much like the current XSE, but with a different rear sight and a better grip safety.

Colt Combat Commander Series 70 - This is probably an older pre-1983 pistol, AKA a Pre-Series 80, technically, there were no Series 70 Commanders.

They are all nice pistols in there own way.
I looked at the Internet and I did not find much information about any of the models. The closest I got to the 1911A1 is the M1911A1, but it was a full size model. I did not find much at all about the 1911 XS or the Combat Commander Series 70. The three pistols are advertised in that way; it must be a mistake then. Does Colt have any type of database of book that describes the different models? I should hate to buy a pistol that it is not what I want. .

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
No real book that I know of. They are very much the same, all are Series 80s except for the pre-1983 models, which do not have the firing pin safety. The pictures above show what minor differences there are between models.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would you get any of those models rather than the new Commander XSE? Please explain the reason for your choice.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Would you get any of those models rather than the new Commander XSE? Please explain the reason for your choice.
Colt Combat Commander Series 70:

steel Frame , original firing control group design.
Just a nice classic looking Colt - and usually
undervalued. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
I would probably get the older Commander without firing pin safety, all things being equal (condition etc.). The reason being I just prefer them, there is nothing wrong though with the Series 80 pistol.

If the old Commander wasn't in the best of shape, I would go for the XS, just because there are less of them than the XSEs.

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
Sounds like a party to me: steel frame, no firing pin safety, and the classic Colt look (yeah, I am a SA guy that loves that old look) :banana:. Does anyone know if they can shoot +p ammo?

What drives me crazy is that I found more 1911A1 and even 1911A1 Ghost Commander for sale! What in the earth is a Commander 1911A1?
The steel Commanders will take +p. The 1911A1 Commander is most likely the only way the guy can explain what his Commander is, it's like people calling their Commanders Series 70s, when there was no such pistol made by Colt, it's just a lot easier for them then stating it's a pre-Series 80.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a party to me: steel frame, no firing pin safety, and the classic Colt look (yeah, I am a SA guy that loves that old look) :banana:. Does anyone know if they can shoot +p ammo?

What drives me crazy is that I found more 1911A1 and even 1911A1 Ghost Commander for sale! What in the earth is a Commander 1911A1?

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
I wish it were mine. :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi,

I'd get the older Commander and fix it up with updated parts as needed. I've got a Combat Commander from the 70's that I often carry. Has C/T Lasergrips and XS Big Dots and shoots very well. Shooting the all steel model, it is easier to regain the target after each shot. I did change the Grip safety to a newer version as the original would bite me. All else is stock, but as things wear out and need upgrading I'll improve as I go. Here she is: Hadn't added the C/T grips when these were taken. I have three 1911's this is my favorite.:urla9ub:

PS: You would be amazed how quick that big front sight appears on a target at true SD distances.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I'd get the older Commander and fix it up with updated parts as needed. I've got a Combat Commander from the 70's that I often carry. Has C/T Lasergrips and XS Big Dots and shoots very well. Shooting the all steel model, it is easier to regain the target after each shot. I did change the Grip safety to a newer version as the original would bite me. All else is stock, but as things wear out and need upgrading I'll improve as I go. Here she is: Hadn't added the C/T grips when these were taken. I have three 1911's this is my favorite.:urla9ub:
Getting an old Combat Commander series 70 and fixing it up sounds like a good idea. However, you cannot get one of them cheap enough so it is economical to fix it up. Instead, it is cheaper to buy one that is in good shape from the very beginning :aargh4:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Getting an old Combat Commander series 70 and fixing it up sounds like a good idea. However, you cannot get one of them cheap enough so it is economical to fix it up. Instead, it is cheaper to buy one that is in good shape from the very beginning :aargh4:
Depends, sometimes one can be found. Keep a sharp lookout.

A project like this will result not only in a very nice gun, but a friend that can be with you whenever you want. The more time you spend together - the better.

Best of luck,

Jim

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Depends, sometimes one can be found. Keep a sharp lookout.

A project like this will result not only in a very nice gun, but a friend that can be with you whenever you want. The more time you spend together - the better.

Best of luck,

Jim
I wish I could find one to fix up, but series 70 are getting pricey in any shape. Furthermore, I do not have idea about how much a project gun should be worth. One in good/very good shape cost between $900 and $1300.
By the way, your Commander is a beauty. Congrats! :congrats:

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
Hang on, rumor has it Colt is going to announce adding a Pre-Series 80 action Combat Commander to their lineup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts