Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the HK Vp 9. Anyone on here hear of any reliability issues with this gun. There is a gun shop a couple of hours away with 8 of them in stock and they want $549 for them. A friend told me that you can get them most places for just under or over $600 because of some reliability issues. This guy owns a couple of HKs and he really likes them. So I figured he might know what he is talking about without being a "fanboy" of another type of gun. Thanks for any info, have a great Christmas, and be safe!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only reliability issues that I have heard of are caused by ridiculous abuse in torture test videos. The vast majority of people I know that have personal experience have had zero issues. Myself included. Not an HK fanboy. I have a PPQ (which I prefer) and a G19 which is perfect for carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am aware of one "torture test" done by one of the Youtube channels that caused a VP9 to choke. The testing was far and away more than what one would encounter in defensive carry use. If you want a VP9 I wouldn't be all that concerned about it's reliability. I own a mittfull of HK's and I have found all of them to be extremely reliable, even when few inexpensive once-fired remanufactured ammo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not really talking about a torture test. My friend says that he knows of a problem with polymer cracking and safeties breaking.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Only times I have seen that so far (on HKPRO) were with ? reloads and gun show ammo the gun was blow apart by it but the user was ok ..So

I have seen some replace the rear loaded dot with a normal metal back plate to help with dirt intack

Try to get the LEO model has night sights and 3 not 2 mags ..Around 600 I have seen for them ...Mags are the main reason to get it as they are still 35-40 each

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
The VP9 is an outstanding firearm. You can buy and carry one with confidence.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I have heard only 2 negatives so far. One, the trigger was hard on a guys finger. @Nd, a guy I know did not like the wings on the slide that you use to cock it. My advice, hold one and see how it feels. Find a range and rent one if you can and test it out. Your friend is correct about price levels and WrongRecRoom #8 response here is spot on, as usual, with his advice. Slick guns on here at D.C. was running a special a few weeks ago so you might check with them and see what they will still do. I am definitely looking forward to owning one very soon as I feel like they are rock solid and love the way they look and feel in my hand. It will be my first hammerless. I like the wings and the trigger feels great. Sights are gorgeous.

For what this is worth. I have an acquaintance at a gun shop here and he just told me the HK people were in his shop doing demo and promotion. The acquaintance has been a solid guy for about 25yrs. He was explaining the company was doing factory test with a robot firing rounds until it got a failure of any kind. They shut the test down because they chose not to waste any more money. 129,000 rounds with no failure.

I inquired just as you are here on D.C. so this link may help you.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-heckler-koch-vp9-interested-your-review.html

Let us know what you decide and how it works for you. I would also go with Phaedrus above on the gun comment.

:santaclaus: Merry Christmas.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
...A friend told me that you can get them most places for just under or over $600 because of some reliability issues. This guy owns a couple of HKs and he really likes them...
I've bought two of them, the first when they were newly released. The prices haven't changed much at all. I've seen them from $525 to $625, depending on where you buy. I doubt reliability concerns have anything to do with the pricing. I haven't met anyone who actually owns a VP9 who experienced reliability issues.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I am not really talking about a torture test. My friend says that he knows of a problem with polymer cracking and safeties breaking.
I would ask your friend to produce some facts to back up the claims. Beyond that all I know about them is they feel good in the hand and appear to be a well made pistol.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
There is absolutely noting wrong with the VP9 other than not having a compact/sub-compact variant. Every HK I've ever owned has been flawless shooting (VP9, P2000, P2000SK, USP, and USP Compact). I carried issued HKs in the service with absolute confidence and would not hesitate to carry one today. My only gripe with HK is that the damn grips are thick and, well, I don't have Donald Trump's big hands.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I own two VP9s, one black law enforcement model and a regular one in FDE. These are outstanding handguns.

I have just over 2K rounds through the black one and over 500 through the FDE model which I only got a few weeks ago. Neither has had even one bobble regardless of the brand of ammo, what country it originated in, what bullet weight I use, whether it was range ammo or self defense loads or regular loads or +P loads. It just plain works well with everything I feed it.

When I read about the MAC torture test I watched part of it before I turning it off. It was silly stupid to see a gun treated like that. It has NO practical value for me in any decision on whether or not to buy the gun.

I use the law enforcement version with its night sights for carry some during coat weather, especially on our nightly walks around our neighborhood. For normal daylight range shooting I prefer the FDE version with luminous sights which really stand out during daylight. Unless you carry it I suggest the normal non-law enforcement version because the sights are so good during daylight.

For me the only issue with the VP handgun is that it is a little large for me to carry during warm weather. I'm 6'2" and pretty lean so I need an over garment or very loose shirt to carry it concealed. Many others do carry it everyday. I paid $524 delivered for my FDE version. And unlike a Glock, out of the box the VP9 needs nothing changed or nothing additional. Just add ammo and maybe a couple of extra magazines.

OP, I call BS on your friend's comments. Unless he has some proof that is hidden from all the shooting forums I frequent, he is just perpetuating someone's prejudiced rumors. The VP9 is an excellent handgun. It and my Walther PPQs are my favorite polymer framed strikers that I have ever owned. And that is the opinion of someone who isn't the least bit brand loyal. I buy and shoot what I like regardless of what name is on the frame. And I definitely like the VP9.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a Glock 17, Sig P320c, Walther PPS M2, Ruger SR 1911, and a HK VP9. The VP9 is by far my favorite gun, I carry it everyday, shot it for my CHL exam and out of 50 rounds only had 3 shots go outside of the "10" mark. I never had any problems with this gun and it's also on my nightstand with a tlr-1hl. I believe every company will have SOME defective products including Sig, Glock, SW, etc but as far as I know my VP9 is my main weapon of choice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ok. That is ONE anecdotal case of a failure with a brand-new pistol...out of how many tens of thousands that HK has sold?

I will also say this as gently as I can. Arfcom is a source of information that I would personally choose to cross-reference before placing a lot of credence in. The internet is full of people that are hiding behind anonymity to better grind their personal axes...and at least half of 'em are over on arfcom. :) :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think your friend must not be an HK fan. There is nothing wrong with the VP9--standing duty now as I type this. Certainly suspect that he tells you of safety failures. Internal safety failures? Highly unlikely. And no external safety as it should be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts