Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here know about the old S&W 640? I'm talking about the all steel 38special version instead the new school 357mag.

I've read my owners manual for my 686-4(made in mid 90's) looking at the chart for other models and what the ammo pressure level(+P) each model can handle, my 649 was not approved for +p but the 640 was approved for +p and an * was in the box rated for +p+ in 38 special. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Why is the 640 approved for +p and can handle +p+, but the 649 is not approved for +p? To me, both are made of steel!
Thank You in advance, all comments and suggestions welcome!

The reason for this post is that I like the old school snubbies(all steel). I think the snubbies that I have now are not approve for by the LE agency I'm applying for. I don't like the child safety lock on this new stuff.. I don't want to buy the new 640 because it's a 357magnum. If I buy a 357, I train with a 357. Also, for what I need this gun for the blast(muzzle flip & flash) is not worth the reduced performance and it will slow down follow up shoots.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why can't you just shoot .38 in a new 649? Mine is rated for .357 or .38+p. I have run thousands of rounds of each through mine with no problems. (and yes it does have the useless lock, I just don't use it.) I hope it didn't miss something here.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Hopefully Euc or class3 can answer it i Don't know a whole lot on the smaller Smiths .. if its all steel i don't see why it couldn't use +p's.. the 649 says it can use +p's but thats the new ones ..

Might wanna try the smith-wessonforum.com if ya cant get answer here

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I imagine the difference would be in heat treating.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for the your insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts