Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Has Ruger worked out the bugs?

2. Can you practice at the range with this gun without destroying it?

3. How's the recoil?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1. Ruger has successfully debugged.

2. Range practice is doable but sort of masochistic.

3. Recoil is like a rat trap snapping in you hand over and over again.

That said, I like my LCP. The fit & finish is a lot nicer than the Kel-Tec P3AT. Very small & very light.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Like the P-3AT (IMHO) it is NOT a fun at the range gun, but it will always go bang, and will quietly accompany you while hidden in a pocket.

Stay armed...they are safe to buy now, IMO...stay safe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The LCP really doesn't kick that badly although my other carry gun is a PM40. Even the PM40 isn't really bad. I have a yet to have a single issue with my LCP.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I'm not all that upset about the recoil. Yes it's snappy, but I don't feel like a rat trap has gone off in my hand even after shooting 100 rounds with it.

Now for the record, I've only shot 100 rounds in one session only once. It's my BUG and usually shoot 50 rounds or a little less when I do shoot it. And lately that isn't very often because of ammo price and availability.

I used to have one of the old AMT Back-Up in .380 and although it was years ago, it seems the LCP is easier than the old AMT used to be as far as recoil goes.

For what it's worth, I really like the Ruger. I'm glad I got it. It fills a niche I needed it for.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just picked one of these little guys up and maybe someone else can answer this. Where can I pick up extra mags and what is the average price? I can't seem to find mags anywhere...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a LCP and have been carrying it for over a year now.
Great gun. Quality is better than the KT 3AT. The LCP is a perfect
choice for someone who wants to be armed 24/7.
Recoil isnt too bad but can get a little snappy if shot fast.
Takes practice to be good with guns as small as the LCP
but wouldnt consider it a good range gun with the ammo being
hard to find and expensive but is fun to shoot the LCP.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I just picked one of these little guys up and maybe someone else can answer this. Where can I pick up extra mags and what is the average price? I can't seem to find mags anywhere...
I have Ruger factory LCP 380AC 6RD and Ruger LCP 6RD FR. Magazines. I just don't have .380 Auto ammo. All is on back order.

I list this website on my website. Bumper was trying to find me some space here. For now. I can not advertise. You can however send me a private message.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've picked up a few mags at gun shows, always plenty available there as well as online.

I like my LCP. The above comments are certainly right on, though I consider the recoil pretty minor. Since it's a small pistol, it beats your fingers up when shooting it a lot, so it's not a 500 round-at-a-time range gun.

I've never had a misfire and it shoots everything, so it goes with me wherever I go, even if I am carrying the Kimber as the primary gun.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've never stuck my hand in a rat trap, but if shooting my LCP is like a rat trap going off on your hand, I wouldn't have any problem doing so.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Great pocket BUG! It's a great buy for $300 and change. Any of the new ones with a serial number starting with "371" or higher has all the upgrades and should give you plenty of reliable service. It's not a range gun IMO. It's very uncomfortable to fire over a 100 or more rounds due to the felt recoil, at least for my hand anyway. Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like my LCP. I have fired 4 different brands of ammo ball and hollow point, all went thru flawless. My local gun shop keeps 380 in stock most of the time, $25 per 50 FMJ. I got lucky and picked up 100 rounds at wally for cheap this am. I haven't left home without the bug since i got it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I bought one mainly for my wife and she loves it. I have never had a problem out of mine, but have shot only a couple hundred rounds in it. The recoil is a little snappy but manageable. I will tell you this is not a range gun to shoot bullseye's with, it is a SD gun, not very accurate past 15 yards, but not made to be. I carry it once in a while, great little gun.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The best thing I did with my LCP was to add the HANDALL JR SMALL SIZE GRIP SLEEVE. This really cushions the felt recoil and makes it easier to hang on to.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
If you are looking for magazines for the LCP try here,

Elsie Pea Store - Accessories for the Ruger LCP

They also have some other goodies for the LCP and some good info on them.
+1 on the Elsie Pea Store I got my two spare factory magazines, Pearce Grip Extensions and the cool little Streamlight Microstream led flashlight from them.

Excellent experience dealing with them!

:hand10:

·
Registered
587 Posts
The recoil really isn't that bad. It's not a fun gun to shoot, but you'd have no trouble going through a box of ammo in a range session. I find it to make a very satisfying pop when it fires.

Be careful when you take it down. I didn't move the slide back the right amount and borked mine up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts