Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TDS (Tactical Defense Solutions - site sponsor) recently had a fairly serious fire. The actual fire was contained to the office and showroom area which was a total loss. The warehouse area where ammo and such was kept received no damage at all.
Now that the smoke has cleared there is the ungodly smell of burned wood everywhere. The cleanup crews are convinced that customers will complain about boxes of ammo that may possibly have a "woodsey" smell.

Personally none of us can smell it on the boxes and personally cant see what it matters as all of them were in a detached warehouse and untouched by heat, flame or crud smoke.
The cleanup crews want to "ozone" the boxes/cases. Were hesitant as were unsure what if any affect the process will have.

All that said - I ask you, does the faint odor on a box of HST matter?
Does anyone know what affect ozone has on ammunition?

·
Registered
368 Posts
send me a sample box of 9mm and I'll let you know:hand5:

but seriously, I would take a few boxes out of the warehouse and go ask someone who doesnt know what happened to smell it. I dont think a "woodsy" smell would bother me... but if it has a very strong burnt building smell I might question it.

edit - I'm sure its crossed your mind, but I'm sure they're just trying to sell you more services

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ozone will have no effect upon ammunition. Whether it will get all the smell (if any) out of the cardboard boxes is another matter.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Don't think you will have any problem. I've pulled plenty of ammo out of a burning building and when it was examined it was declared as good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey I was sorry to hear about the fire the other day when I read about it in the paper. Best of luck, and I hope you get everything back in order soon. No worries on the smoke smell as far as I'm concerned, I enjoy a "woodsy" odor.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ozone will have no effect, but perhaps just a note included with each order explaining the woodsy smell?

It wouldn't bother me in slightest, BTW

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I once got a shipment that smelled like pot. 'Didn't care.
Don't use this ammo...it will shoot a little 'high'...:image035::lolp:

--------------------------------------------------------

To the OP...
I think it would matter depending upon the definition of 'faint'.:yup:

·
Administrator
143,832 Posts
A slight smoke smell wouldn't bother me personally.

If you don't want to go the Ozone route then just search Ebay for a product called "Zero Smoke" (smoke smell eliminator) and lightly spritz the ammo boxes with that. It works very well and it's only $5.00

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Sorry to hear of the tragedy.
Personally, the smell wouldn't bother me. I'm a smoker anyway. But it might bother some, and a lot of folks have allergies these days so you never know. I don't know much about ozone treatments, but I know what ozone smells like. Matter of fact, I can smell it right now at the mention of it. As someone previously suggested....I figure good luck on getting the smell of it out of cardboard boxes. If the ozone treatment is going to cost more than what insurance will allow, I'd think it might be better to offer a 'fire sale' on the affected merchandise rather than go through with an added expense. I don't know the whole situation either.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Heck, call it all "Hunting Ammo" and charge extra for the scent blocker factor.

After some of the smells that products acquire during shipment a bit of woodsy smell is a non issue.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
As long as it is hickory and not pine you should be able to raise the price. Have a fire sale.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
does the faint odor on a box of HST matter?
Wouldn't matter to me.

Does anyone know what affect ozone has on ammunition?
I don't know.

Ozone odor removal seems to be a relatively common technique used by groups following smoke damage. Devices can be purchased for under $1K to do this in moderately-sized rooms. Uncertain if these smaller units would be sufficient for a "warehouse" sized space.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
They use ozone systems to clean out the smell of cigars and such from cruise ship staterooms. It does not seem to have any effects that I have ever noticed.

bosco

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Don't use this ammo...it will shoot a little 'high'...:image035::lolp:

--------------------------------------------------------

To the OP...
I think it would matter depending upon the definition of 'faint'.:yup:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Or it would have to stop for munchies.

·
Registered