Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be easy for you guys who really know your guns. I'm looking at the Ruger American Compact and see two model numbers. Model 8639 comes with two magazines, one 12 round and one 17 round, while model 8633 comes with two 10 round magazines.

Am I correct in assuming these are the exact same guns and only the magazines are different? In other words if, because of availability I bought the one with 10 round mags, could I still buy and use the higher capacity mags in it? I'm pretty sure that would be the case but I want to know for sure.

With an MSRP of $579 and a price of around $350 a couple places with free shipping advertised I'm real tempted to go for it.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
You're correct. Same gun, but offered with low-capacity magazines for compliance in states with unfortunate laws.

I'd hold out for the standard-capacity mags. 10-rounders are lousy paperweights in free states.

·
Registered
801 Posts
RAPc is a great gun. It’s built like a tank, great fit and finish, never failed to fire and shoots accurately. Unfortunately I had to sell mine, the back corner of the gun frame drew blood from my knuckle. That edge is not rounded enough and the recoil allowed that corner to batter my thumb knuckle. Some don’t have this issue. I did.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
If you haven't dealt with CDNN I can tell you from buying 3 weapons from them that each was precisely as described, 100% BNIB, all paperwork and items were present, and shipping was pretty quick.

On one of the weapons my LGS (which does $0 transfers) asked me why I didn't buy it from them (I always ask them what it will cost and if its even close buy from them). I asked him if he'd looked at the receipt when he opened the package? He pulled it out, looked amazed, and said "Oh, I see!" He told me while I was filling out the required paperwork that my cost was below what his distributor would charge him by 10% and congratulated me on the deal.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, but that one has no manual safety and I personally want that feature. They have the 8663 and 8633 models for the same price and they have the safety but they both come with two 10 round mags instead of one 12 and one 17 like the 8639 that I want. And it looks to me like mags for those guns are around $30 each. It might still make sense to buy the gun and the two extra mags I want though. I wonder how long that price will stand? I won't buy it till after Christmas.

The best online price I've seen for the 8639 is $359 at Sportsmans Outdoor store. So if I could buy the manual safety version with two 10 round mags for $299 I'd save enough to pay for one 12 and one 17 round mag. And I'd still have the two 10 round mags. Now you have me thinking.

I went to 5 gun shops today hoping I could put hands on both the American Compact and the Ruger Security 9, as I wanted to compare them. Everybody had the Security but no one had the Compact. One of the counter guys told me the American Compact didn't sell very well so that's why nobody stocks it.

I did like the feel of the Security as it seems to me to be about the exact same size as my M&P Compact 9, yet it was definitely lighter even taking into account the magazine was empty. I found that gun local for $329 which is close enough to the online prices I saw when I take into account the extra $30 for transfer I have to pay when I buy online that I think I'll go buy it tomorrow. Then after Christmas I'll buy the American Compact online wherever I can find the best price at the time.

As always you guys have been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Thanks for the link, but that one has no manual safety and I personally want that feature. They have the 8663 and 8633 models for the same price and they have the safety but they both come with two 10 round mags instead of one 12 and one 17 like the 8639 that I want. And it looks to me like mags for those guns are around $30 each. It might still make sense to buy the gun and the two extra mags I want though. I wonder how long that price will stand? I won't buy it till after Christmas.

The best online price I've seen for the 8639 is $359 at Sportsmans Outdoor store. So if I could buy the manual safety version with two 10 round mags for $299 I'd save enough to pay for one 12 and one 17 round mag. And I'd still have the two 10 round mags. Now you have me thinking.

I went to 5 gun shops today hoping I could put hands on both the American Compact and the Ruger Security 9, as I wanted to compare them. Everybody had the Security but no one had the Compact. One of the counter guys told me the American Compact didn't sell very well so that's why nobody stocks it.

I did like the feel of the Security as it seems to me to be about the exact same size as my M&P Compact 9, yet it was definitely lighter even taking into account the magazine was empty. I found that gun local for $329 which is close enough to the online prices I saw when I take into account the extra $30 for transfer I have to pay when I buy online that I think I'll go buy it tomorrow. Then after Christmas I'll buy the American Compact online wherever I can find the best price at the time.

As always you guys have been very helpful.
The RAPc is stainless with a nitride finish and striker fired , the Security 9 is not stainless, has a blued/parkarized type finish and an enternal hammer, and comes with 2 15 round mags with a corresponding longer grip than the RAPc, the RAPc has far better corrosion resistance with less maintenance than the SEC9 but I like the way the SEC9 carrys,handles, and shoots more than I do the RAPc

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The RAPc is stainless with a nitride finish and striker fired , the Security 9 is not stainless, has a blued/parkarized type finish and an enternal hammer, and comes with 2 15 round mags with a corresponding longer grip than the RAPc, the RAPc has far better corrosion resistance with less maintenance than the SEC9 but I like the way the SEC9 carrys,handles, and shoots more than I do the RAPc
Indeed, they both have their pros and cons which is why the obvious solution is to buy one of each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts