Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a shot in the dark(pun intended) and I'd be better off looking on a more specific forum, but does anyone here have the Smith and Wesson catalog or a good memory?

I seem to remember the 686 was the Distinguished Service Magnum, and the 586 is the Distinguished Combat Magnum. Is that correct?

I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with the gun itself so maybe I should have put it in a different subforum, but oh well. Mods can move the thread if they need to.

It's a very minor thing that's driving me crazy.

Curse you Smith and Wesson for making all these sweet revolvers when I was just a little kid and then making me go back and track them all down years later.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I seem to remember the 686 was the Distinguished Service Magnum, and the 586 is the Distinguished Combat Magnum. Is that correct?
Euc - yes, correct. The 586 of course is the blued and the 686 the stainless. Re 686, just to kick this off -

Approx history is -

686 ''dash nothing'' - 1980

686-1, 1986 - radius stud package and floating hand

686-M - 1987 recall stamping on earlier versions

686-2, 1987, hammer nose change, bushing and ass'd parts

686-3, 1988, new yoke retention system
1990 - 2 1/2" barrel introduced.

686-4 ........ 1994 thru 1998 - many changes including move to 7 shot, sight changes etc.

686-5 on is I think the change to MIM parts.

I have more info re 586 but need to go look it up when time.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Actually Euc, and without transcribing the info - the 586 history reflects the 686 to a high degree!!!

If you want said info let me know and I'll copy it tomorrow. Gotta quit soon.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Euc - before I quit - here is a scan - largish file I'm afraid but - gives the main history of each. From Std catalog of S&W edition #2. -

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again.

Wow has it really been 6 years since there was a model 586? That's one of the best revolvers ever in the history of revolvers. I can't believe it's been out of production that long.

I know the 686 is the same thing, but given the popularity of blued guns I am surprised still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts