Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Wife used to hate to watch movies with me; I just had to say something. After all these years, she's almost as bad as me now. Favorite flub: Nobody ever carries one in the pipe in the movies - always have to rack that slide. Almost as good as the cocking of Glocks.

·
Registered
Various
15,567 Posts
I love the scene where vehicles come together and seven bad guys jump out with full autos blazing. Two good guys get out and duck while drawing their service pistols. At the end of the scene, there are seven dead guys and one good guy has a minor wound on his upper arm..

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Very few gun scenes are very real. Twenty shot six-shooters? Silencers that actually silence? Most realistic shootout? Well, my favorite anyway. When the alien shoots Captain Marvel with a deadly assault nerf gun. One of the more realistic scenes I've seen.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great Avatar NavCop!

Reactions: OD*

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
If anyone wants to see resltictic gun fire look at the old 1930 movies .... Why well watch 1938 Angles with dirty faces (no not the home alone one ) the scene where Cagney is being shot at by a belt feed and he is eating dirt.
They used live ammo in one scene of The Public Enemy.

·
Super Moderator
18,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
They used live ammo in one scene of The Public Enemy.

Now that's some realistic stuff right there!

I did not know this. I've even seen "The Public Enemy."

·
Registered
578 Posts
I liked the one where Cagney pushes the half grapefruit into the moll's face. Now that is realism!

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of counting how many shots both the good guys and bad guys can get off without a reload. Talk about some high capacity magazines!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Looks like they did their research on this one, tried to be realistic. :diablotin: :evillaugh2:

:wall:

Reactions: Poorly

·
Registered
103 Posts
I liked the one where Cagney pushes the half grapefruit into the moll's face. Now that is realism!
Slightly off topic:

Cagney embraced realism in his unarmed fight scenes, too.

Judoka will recognize the moves in the final fight scenes of Blood On The Sun and 13 Rue Madeleine.

In Blood On The Sun, Cagney even kicks his opponent when he (opponent) is down.

13 Rue Madeleine contains a gi (jacket) choke.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
Same movie, The Public Enemy (1931)

To make it a little better to watch, Mae Clark said in an interview on TCM that she didn't know it was coming.

Reactions: TimBob and OD*

·
Registered
578 Posts
To make it a little better to watch, Mae Clark said in an interview on TCM that she didn't know it was coming.
Ha! De neva doo!

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I think one of the most outrageous movie scenes I have seen was in a schlocky SiFi move titled Chupacabra VS the Alamo
Chupacabras attack people and they hole up in the Alamo to fight off the invasion. Break into the display cases which are filled with
flint and cap lock muzzle loaders and proceed to shoot the critters rapid fire like they are semi auto rifles.
Awesome movie if you are pretty inebriated

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
what most people don't realize is that Prop guns do not fire full loads, if they fire load cartridges at all. Many of the long guns are fueled by Freon canisters and the flame is via a spark plug ignition device. There are some that fire blanks of course, but there are also prop handguns that merely present a flash of light at the muzzle for close range head shots. Then there are rubber dummy prop guns that actually do nothing other than provide a visual firearm for the camera shot with muzzle flash added on post production, often used for pistol whipping and rifle beating scenes. Of course, all of them have SFX added in post, no matter what the sound might need to be, since they don't make much noise on the set to begin with.

And now, all of the visual effects of bullet impact is done in post production, digitally, so there is no longer a need for squibs to be affixed to the actor and triggered off camera by the FX rigger.

So, let's take a close range head shot, for example: A "Flashlight" pistol is used, producing just a flash of harmless light at the muzzle. The actor firing the pistol has to "act" the recoil as the actor being "shot" has to "act" the reaction. Then, in post production, muzzle blast, audio SFX, and impact/brain matter are all added digitally.

The art of faking it on film is now at an all new level. Then, there's the infamous scenes where the shooter thumb cocks the hammer on his Glock with the 4 click C-O-L-T hammer SFX added in post production. Drives me crazy!

But what I can't figure out is why every detective who exits his vehicle or pulls his pistol from his holster always racks the slide on his pistol, even if they racked it in a previous scene. Apparently actor detectives don't carry cocked and locked.
lol

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
Yep. :yup:

Robert Mitchum did something similar to Polly Bergen in the original Cape Fear, in the rape scene he shoved her through a closed door that was to have been open.

"He used my body to physically open that door. You can imagine the kind of force. By then I was starting to sob. I was really in pain. He just kept right on going and I kept right on going because I didn't know anything anyway. We arrived at the end of the scene and he completely fell apart. He grabbed me put his arms around me and said 'I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I hurt you, I didn't mean to hurt you.' And we were friends for life."

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank you, DZUS. You mentioned most of the things that really bother me, especially seeing 110 pound women shooting snub nose revolvers or shotguns with absolutely no recoil. My wife gets tired of me mentioning it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm on a collect TV/movie gun kick. Certain shows I watched, I'm buying guns in those shows. For example, Magnum PI carried a 1911 Govt Model (yeah i know they changed it to 9mm). James Bond carried Walther. Axel Foley carried a Hi Power. Hans Gruber - MP5.

It's silly I know but there isn't much else to do.

·
Registered
Various
15,567 Posts
I saw a television show several years ago. The scene opens with a man on a blanket on an ocean beach around twilight. It cuts to a beautiful woman in a skimpy bikini walking barefoot down the beach. It swaps back and forth until she reaches the man. A Desert Eagle .50 AE appears in her hand and she shoots him with zero recoil impulse. I am thinking she is incredibly strong and has one heck of a concealment system.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts