Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a S&W 642 (with Crimson Trace Laser Grips) which I took for it's first range trip this morning- she performed very nicely, I might add, and will certainly suit the needs I have for a small wheel gun. The question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a quick cleaing at the range until I get her home for the real deal? I considered the whole boresnake idea, but today I actually just used my Otis kit- which for my semi-autos is great, but today seemed to be pretty time consuming. Wouldn't the whole boresnake idea just redeposit residue,etc., from cylinder to cylinder? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
One thing on bore snake it is a quick cleaning and will work well for range while the gun is hot..

If i do mine at the range i will run it though barrel and wipe it off then back though wipe it off same with cylinders its a 2-3 min deal

Not perfect but makes it easier for later beside who cleans there wheelies have a look at pics posted of my 627..lol

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Why do you want to do a quickie? Take it home and get to know the S&W. Foreplay is a good thing and it will make a long lasting relationship. When at the range dance and have fun, when at home hold and clean.

Frank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bud, I'll keep this in mind next time out.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I actually see no reason to have any great sense of urgency with a clean. Bore snake is OK and useful - but IMO if the gun sits a day or two there is no real harm done, as long as storage is under non humid conditions and exterior has had a protective wipe-off. Sweaty hands external effects concern me more than internal cleaning.

The bore and cyl fouling will not IMO be any greater a problem for leaving a while.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
One reason i will do a quickie is if you shoot lead especially it helps cleaning the lube if any is left over and some lead out while barrel is warm.

3-4 mins at the range usually cuts my cleaning time down about 30 mins .. Im not saying i wont really clean cylinder good or barrel latter.

but it does make is some what easier for my taste and if i shoot couple hundred every week or only 100 i just do the quick clean lube and a good cleaning about every 1500 -2k rounds

You can over clean a gun

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Aaron - taken to extremes indeed I do think over cleaning is possible.

What that means is if we go deep - and start stripping beyond basic field stripping, removing pins etc - it is possible to eventually induce looser fits etc.

Then too is scrubbing, bores, chambers, cylinders - even that can be taken beyond the point of adequate, sufficient to actually impart its own type of wear effect. I watched a guy once at the range vigorously ramming his cleaning rod thru a revo cylinder's chambers, so violently that he had to have been straining the yoke - and he kept this up for many times longer than was probably needed. The effects become cumulative.

Folks think differently of course on this - but without being negligent to a gun I feel that less is more. I was told of a 1911 a guy had which he cleaned more than shot - it was almost his hobby! He managed to make the gun almost go sloppy it had been taken down (fully) so many times.

There is a middle ground probably.

·
Registered
950 Posts
No secrets here...shoot it....shoot it some more. Then go home and clean it, no big deal.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts