Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Which is it?

For me, it's .22LR. A shotgun feels like cheating. YMMV

View attachment 361014
For years I used a 12 or 20 ga. However, the last few years, I switched to a single shot .22lr. I don’t have a scope on it but I’m considering put one on for this upcoming season. Another thing I like about the .22 is the weight. Much lighter than the shotgun. I am considering possibly a single shot or double barrel 20 or 16 ga The rabbit and dove season usually overlap. When I small game hunt, I usually semi stalk. I’ll move a little, call and listen. Move a little more and repeat. Sometimes I jump a rabbit or dove. Would be nice to have the shotgun in that situation. Decisions , Decisions. 😄

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of, my dogs chased a monster rabbit into a chain linked fence last week. Rabbit got stuck half in and half out of the fence. It expired while the dogs yapped all morning until I went out and pulled it out of the fence. Dogs didn't know what to do with it. Strangest thing I ever saw.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A .22 for small game or my .177 Gamo air rifle. Both kill with one shot whether a body shot or head shot.

I've never liked chewing buckshot as it can be hard to get all of the pellets out of the meat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,306 Posts
A 22 makes it more challenging. That’s my preference, but a day afield with a good O/U in 28 or 20 Gauge is hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
It depends on the season. In spring the young and dumb cotton tails will sit till you are right on them, and then sprint a short ways to stop and see if anything is following. Thats when I get a shot with the 22. By fall the young and dumb have been eaten, So when they sprint I'll get them on the run with a shotgun.
I also shoot a lot of ground squirrels , strictly Varmints, and mostly with a rifle! DR

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
I vote 22lr because my shoulder won't take the recoil anymore. Too much painful scar tissue.

Used to be a 20 Ga but rifle now days.

·
Registered
21,306 Posts
It depends on the season. In spring the young and dumb cotton tails will sit till you are right on them, and then sprint a short ways to stop and see if anything is following. Thats when I get a shot with the 22. By fall the young and dumb have been eaten, So when they sprint I'll get them on the run with a shotgun.
I also shoot a lot of ground squirrels , strictly Varmints, and mostly with a rifle! DR
Lol, varmints is a subjective term.

My dad thinks deer are varmints and gut shoots them with a 22. He kills at least a dozen or more every garden season. He don’t eat them, he just wants them to run off and die.

Basically, if it’s eating or destroying something around the house, it’s a varmint. If ia for me to eat, it’s game.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My great-grandfather took my dad rabbit hunting as a kid. He used beagles to chase the rabbits, so his choice of gun was a .410 shotgun.

Dealing with squirrels, and trapped rabbits, my father preferred using a .22 LR shot to the head. No pellets to deal with as you ate the critter.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts