Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of buying a race gun to shoot for fun. Too old and slow to race anymore (I've done some ICORE, PPC, and some practical/sheriff qualification shooting), but since I've been focusing on recoil control, the M&P 2.0 performance center (9mm) has caught my eye. The problem is, I have no idea what's out there today. And I really don't like the flexy trigger-- it won't unblock the trigger safety sometimes on my M&P 22 Compact, when I'm in a hurry/under pressure (timer). I'm really open to suggestions. What should I look at?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The 1st question should always be...what's discipline? Because each one has rules as far as equipment goes. But IF not going to compete, skip this one.
The 2nd question should always be, what's your budget?
3rd question, which platform/trigger do you prefer or want to work with (can relate to #1)
4th question, caliber? Also can be tied to #1 and #2. Minor or major depending on discipline and no sense buying a .45ACP on a 9mm budget unless you like to fondle more than shoot-.
5th question, capacity, 10+ 1 great for IDPA SSP or ESP, sucks when shooting 3GUN and everybody else is loading 18+

The minute you're talking about recoil control, I'd look at steel VS polymer, when it comes to recoil, weight is usually your friend.

I have several match pistols ranging from $800 to just shy of $2000. For en entry-ish gun that won't break the bank, but will provide some flexibility I'd look at one of the CZ Shadow guns in 9mm. IF you're even more budget minded I'd look at a Glock 34 or an M&P Pro/5", again 9mms.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I think most of us have outgrown the game-playing phase of gun ownership. IMHO, games are for those who take a knee. Choose the gun that would work best for protecting you and yours and leave "race guns" to the kids.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1st question should always be...what's discipline? Because each one has rules as far as equipment goes. But IF not going to compete, skip this one.
The 2nd question should always be, what's your budget?
3rd question, which platform/trigger do you prefer or want to work with (can relate to #1)
4th question, caliber? Also can be tied to #1 and #2. Minor or major depending on discipline and no sense buying a .45ACP on a 9mm budget unless you like to fondle more than shoot-.
5th question, capacity, 10+ 1 great for IDPA SSP or ESP, sucks when shooting 3GUN and everybody else is loading 18+

The minute you're talking about recoil control, I'd look at steel VS polymer, when it comes to recoil, weight is usually your friend.

I have several match pistols ranging from $800 to just shy of $2000. For en entry-ish gun that won't break the bank, but will provide some flexibility I'd look at one of the CZ Shadow guns in 9mm. IF you're even more budget minded I'd look at a Glock 34 or an M&P Pro/5", again 9mms.
That's helpful thanks.
1. My competition days are over. Friendly (read "loose rules") competition is still fun and I can skirt around my physical limitations (mostly age related).
2. I'm thinking $1500 or so, but want a 'manufactured' race gun, not a custom. One of it's purposes is just to have one in my collection.
3. I've competed with every trigger system available, but ultimately learned the value of good revolver type DA. The early striker guns did this very well - think Kahr K9. Now the striker guns are trying to get as close to 1911 style trigger action as they can. If I wanted to shoot that, I'd just shoot my 1911.
4. Minor. I already reload 9mm, .38 spl, .40 S&W (major), .45ACP (major). 9mm seems to be the more commonly used race gun, so would probably be better for the collection, value wise.
5. (my number, not yours) Recoil control. This is where my thinking gets muddy. I want to learn control, so a pistol that has minimal recoil won't be the best. But then, why am I thinking about a ported race gun?

Thanks again, you really made me think about what I'm doing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most of us have outgrown the game-playing phase of gun ownership. IMHO, games are for those who take a knee. Choose the gun that would work best for protecting you and yours and leave "race guns" to the kids.
I've got the self defense angle covered, but I still enjoy recreational shooting and practicing. Practicing with a timer or informal competition helps keep my skills current, but generates a high round count on my self defense guns. So, another gun would improve my collection, save wear and tear on carry guns, and add some incentive to keep practicing. At my age, my performance is in decline, but my desire to be effective, should it ever (God forbid) be required, remains high.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I've got the self defense angle covered, but I still enjoy recreational shooting and practicing. Practicing with a timer or informal competition helps keep my skills current, but generates a high round count on my self defense guns. So, another gun would improve my collection, save wear and tear on carry guns, and add some incentive to keep practicing. At my age, my performance is in decline, but my desire to be effective, should it ever (God forbid) be required, remains high.
You might enjoy checking out one of our members here who makes videos of various guns run through the police qualifying procedures from various states. Any of those would be excellent practice and don't require the high round count wear and tear.

He goes by @hrfunk here on DC. For some reason my search-fu crashed and burned. I'll bet you can find him with a little patience.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Why not something fun if you like wheel guns ? A Rhino feels like shooting 38 with hard loaded 357 and 38 feels like 22lr ...Or a Ruger Competion GP100

·
Registered
885 Posts
What do you carry? If it's a safe action pistol i.e. Glock you can find a true race gun set up for major or minor (they are different) for decent prices. They will have a compensator, dot sight, accuracy work and a good trigger. If you want a true "race gun" you could probably go to something like the Brian Enos Forum and find a used 1911 race gun.
Many of the past, and present, LEO's who came out on top in many scrapes (Jim Cirrilo, Bill Jordan, Charles Askins...) were all active competitors in various shooting sports of their times.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
You should really check out the CZ competition guns. I have never had the opportunity to shoot competition oriented guns, but it must be an improvement over the combat/police models...which are ridiculously fun, reliable, and accurate. $1500 will get you more gun than most other brands.

The Original CZ Forum - Index has folks who compete and can give you their experience in each rule type and class. The CZ team shooters are even on there answering questions.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
You should really check out the CZ competition guns. I have never had the opportunity to shoot competition oriented guns, but it must be an improvement over the combat/police models...which are ridiculously fun, reliable, and accurate. $1500 will get you more gun than most other brands.
You read my mind. Last year I treated myself to a CZ Shadow 2, which is a CZ75 variant designed for the shooting games. It's heavy but that works to tame the muzzle flip and recoil. Out of the box they're great shooters, most guys I shoot with put in a lighter mainspring and an extended firing pin for reliable ignition with any primer reloaders might use. Excellent sights, 17+1 capacity. Street price in the $1300 +/- range. I'm 10 minutes away from CZ Custom, so I got mine there and spent a few hundred more for an upgrade package. The gun is an absolute delight to shoot!

·
Registered
Pistoleer
496 Posts
I have a Tanfoglio/EAA Stock II in 9mm (CZ-75 variant) and it compares right up to the Shadow 2. I originally compared the two and decided to go with the Stock II as I felt is was better balanced and I liked the look better over the Shadow 2. They both are just about equal to each other even though you don't hear about Tanfoglio as much as CZ.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Canik SFx
The Canik looks very interesting -- I'm going to stop by the local shop today to see if I can look one over. I checked out the Shadow II, but I've never felt comfortable with my CZ75 grip. And I don't particularly want a traditional DA/SA or cocked-and-locked pistol. SA makes me twitchy and I don't shoot as well, but that's just me.

What a great forum!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Canik looks very interesting -- I'm going to stop by the local shop today to see if I can look one over. I checked out the Shadow II, but I've never felt comfortable with my CZ75 grip. And I don't particularly want a traditional DA/SA or cocked-and-locked pistol. SA makes me twitchy and I don't shoot as well, but that's just me.

What a great forum!
I find my SFx probably the most comfortable to shoot. When I first picked it up, all I thought was. this is comfortable. I bought my first Canik in October. Six Caniks later, (3 For Me, 3 for My Bride)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, I've played with the Canik, CZ shadow, M&P, Shadow Systems(super glock), Sig 320, and the XD elite. So far the M&P M2.0 is in the lead. Toying with the full size (17+1) 4.25" or 5" or maybe a Compact 4" (15+1). None of the performance center guns (except Shields) have manual safeties, and since I will disable the flexy trigger a manual safety is a must, and I want it for training. Of course, this will never be a carry gun so modifications are more acceptable.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of buying a race gun to shoot for fun. Too old and slow to race anymore (I've done some ICORE, PPC, and some practical/sheriff qualification shooting), but since I've been focusing on recoil control, the M&P 2.0 performance center (9mm) has caught my eye. The problem is, I have no idea what's out there today. And I really don't like the flexy trigger-- it won't unblock the trigger safety sometimes on my M&P 22 Compact, when I'm in a hurry/under pressure (timer). I'm really open to suggestions. What should I look at?
CZ Shadow 2

CZ 75 SP-01 and change out the springs yourself for $18. 3 spring kit.

Beyond that, there’s the Czechmate but it’s north of $3G.

You can do a Glock Gen 5 G34, also.

Walther has a lineup of competition pistols, too, but I have never shot one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I can't recommend the CZs highly enough. My current match pistol for IDPA ESP/SSP and 3Gun; CZ 75 "Accu-Shadow" Lite from the Custom Shop, about $1875 when I bought it 3 years ago:

Very reliable gun and with the added barrel bushing, very accurate. Easily on par with my Les Baer(s) accuacy wise and ahead of my M&P 5" Pro. With 147s at just power factor it is a very flat shooting pistol. At yesterday's match I had some great runs on some plate racks with it. Back when I bought it I went with the shortened dust cover and 4.5 barrel to make weight, and of course a year later $%^^&$ IDPA changed the weight limits again. I've thought about dropping a SA trigger in it, but this lets me shoot ESP and SSP.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the dust has settled. Visited the LGS today and put a marker on the first M&P M2.0 performance center 11824(5") or 11822(4.25") they get. No C.O.R.E., just fiber optic sights. The plan is to add the Manual Safety and disable the trigger safety, since the trigger safety does nothing (but can interfere) and I want to train for MS use. Now I just have to wait and wait and ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts