Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going camping in West Virginia next weekend and I'm bringing my HK45C, but the thing is I'm also going whitewater rafting during that weekend too. I really don't like the thought of having the gun off body (possibility of bag getting stolen but somewhat unlikely), but then again, you're wearing a wetsuit as well as some additional layers, not the usual every day ccw attire. Anyone who's ever been rafting (well it's actually my first time) knows that there's going to be some crazy parts and you could go overboard and bash your side against a rock...and I don't know if that is enough to cause an ND with the hammer down, nor do I want to find out...

what kind of holster should I be using in this case?

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
I have used a nylon pistol belt & holster over my wetsuit & under clothes while kayaking . Never been whitewater but I do use a Blackhawk lanyard attached to the belt in the event of a spill.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Are you going rafting in the Fayette Co. Area? New River, and/or Gauley? I live in Faytteville. Maybe a Maxpedition bag. I would go with a kydex holster if you can find one. It is impervious to water, and has positive retention. Just make sure you wipe down and oil the gun, after all wet activities.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have a crossbreed supertuck (kydex) with crossbreed twin mag carriers, worn on a liger gunbelt, what advantage does a nylon belt have over mine?

jwhite we are rafting on the Upper Gauley River, and we will be stopping by bridge day, too

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've been rafting, and have to say, I would leave the gun in the car. Yes yes, we all hate to be without it, but this is one experience where carrying would be a HUGE PAIN. Plus, the gun would need extra oil/lube before and after to keep it from rusting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about an ND with the hammer down and the safety flipped back up. I would more worry about the gun itself. Like others have said, in addition to a good Kydex holster, a sturdy lanyard and extra lube with a thorough cleaning after should be okay. Do you have a different(less expensive) gun you could take? I know after just dropping $$$$ on my 45C, I couldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I was on a float trip this summer and carried my XD9sc in a nemesis holster inside a Aloksak Bag and carried it inside the cargo pocket of some cargo shorts. Spent more than just a little bit of time in the water. Gun stayed nice and dry.

If it's not going to be a "fashion faux pas," you can wear a pair of cargo shorts over your wet suit and carry that way.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I live a mile from the Bridge. Awesome rafting you will love it. Be advised the Gauley is very turbulent and I would not disagree with leaving it in the car for awhile.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did the Gauley years ago. Man, that was fun. You're going to enjoy it. :danceban: Don't think I'd take a handgun on a one day rafting trip (i.e., return to civilization at night). Just too much of a hassle.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Maybe something like this? :rofl:

·
Banned
160 Posts
I'd leave it . Have fun, relax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts