Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a range that I've been to many times before this weekend, but this time something strange happened.

Before I went in the range master asked if he could check my ammo. He said they had too many people bringing in Wolf and something else that I didn't hear. I told him no problem, knowing I was only shooting Federal and Blazer Brass, and I opened my bag. As he was looking through it I realized that I did have two boxes of Wolf 9mm in there. I pointed them out to him and told him I wasn't going to shoot them. He politely asked if I would leave them at the counter and I did.

On my way out I stopped to pick them up and asked the kid at the counter (one of the other employee's sons who is still in high school) why they didn't allow it on the range. He told me that there is a lot of unburnt powder on the ground and Wolf ammo has a steel core that could spark and start a fire. I just kind of said ok and went on my way.

Now I've been thinking about this and that sounds like total B.S. Wolf has a steel case, but not a steel core. If it did then wouldn't it be armor piercing? And there can't be that much unburnt powder on the ground can there? I know they sweep regularly because they do USPSA shoots there once a week and have to pick up the brass.

So why do you think they are making people leave the Wolf at the counter? I'm guessing it might be because they don't want to separate the non reloadable stuff from the reloadable stuff.

This is an indoor range, but not a lead free or "green" range.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Seems like everyone is a control freak these days. I'd find another range.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It's because the range is selling the used brass to be reloaded.

And while steel cased, berdan primed ammo can be reloaded, it's difficult, and if you have some mixed in with brass/boxer ammo, it's a pain in the keister for the commercial reloader buying the brass.

It has nothing to do with powder, jacket etc...it's all economics.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You don't save your brass??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Funny. The indoor range I visit on a weekly basis just started pulling this exact same crap in the past few weeks. No "Russian Made" Wolf or Bear. Same BS excuse provided.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's because the range is selling the used brass to be reloaded.

And while steel cased, berdan primed ammo can be reloaded, it's difficult, and if you have some mixed in with brass/boxer ammo, it's a pain in the keister for the commercial reloader buying the brass.

It has nothing to do with powder, jacket etc...it's all economics.
That's pretty much what I thought. They sell reloaded BVAC stuff as range ammo. I'd imagine they get crap if they send back a bunch of brass with steel mixed in.

I should start saving my brass. I used to, but never invested in the reloading stuff so I've kind of stopped. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
they make ppl do the same thing at our range. if they thing u have wolf they will ask you to leave it at the counter. i dont like that.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My range has a large sign on the door before you go in that says: "NO ALUMINUM OR STEEL CASED AMMO PERMITTED". They told me it was due to having to sort out the steel from the brass. Oh well, their range, their rules.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Total...
:bs2::bs2::bs2:

I'd use another range, if possible.:yup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes , I saw the guy behind the counter say the same thing
to someone the other day at one of the ranges I visit.
But the guy also added that it was " your ammo and
you can put a magnet to the bullet and see it for yourself".:22a:
Its not a problem for me because I don't shoot it (Wolf)myself.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Funny. The indoor range I visit on a weekly basis just started pulling this exact same crap in the past few weeks. No "Russian Made" Wolf or Bear. Same BS excuse provided.
I have another theory...these ammo brands are easy to find in quantity and not very expensive. They can tell you don't use it and make you buy their overpriced ammo instead.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I'm guessing it might be because they don't want to separate the non reloadable stuff from the reloadable stuff.
That was my first thought.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This is definitely a bovine by-product.

They're making money selling your used brass. I say seperating it their problem.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Huh.

I'm fascinated by a lot of the responses..."Haven't they heard of magnets" or "If they want to sell the brass, it's their problem"...what dreck.

Folks, it's their range, and their rules. If you don't like it, find another range. Or, if the next range you go to has a similar rule, build your own...

The pathetic whining of "I wanna be able to do whatever I want wherever I want" is getting old.

OP, this isn't directed at you...

1 - 20 of 109 Posts