Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's rare that I go to the range just to shoot - which of course, is all the reason one needs. But usually I have something in mind. Yesterday was to try out the Seekins Precision 10.5" heavy profile barrel. I'm gonna make this part short. I'm beginning to dislike 10.5" barrels!

It was strange, or maybe unexpected. This is a heavy barrel, but it appeared to drift with heat - or with something else??? Groups were not what I expected, nor was consistency. I can say though all that weird stuff I was seeing with the 69 gr high velocity rounds went away, well except for they don't appear to be that accurate in short barrels. But, I'll have to confirm that.

So on to the fun stuff.

I switched out the upper to my Daniel Defense 12.5" gov profile with a Vortex PST 2.5-10x FFP scope. That's when the fun began. I was not that impressed with the high velocity 69 or 77 gr stuff, but it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as accurate as my other 69 gr lower velocity ammo. Here's a pic of that ammo at 50 yards. The left dot was initial sight in (I had just mounted the scope. Actually the first shot is down there under the bearing on the lower right.

For some reason, upon getting on the upper left dot, I thought I had it zero'd and went to the middle dot, that's 3 shots - it was zeroed almost. A click or two to the left produced the next group on the right dot - again that's 3 shots - looks like one got away from me doesn't it.

On to 100 yards. This one is rotated 90° from the way it was fired, but this orientation is more compatible with pic dimensions.

The upper right dot was the first 3 at 100 after a 50 yard zero. I adjusted the scope accordingly and shot 3 shots at the lower right dot. That is 3 shots! Looks like one got away from me doesn't it?

Well enough of this slow fire stuff, now for some fast stuff - and that's what the remaining 4 targets are - rapid fire; not machine gun fire, but pretty fast for 100 yards. I did 4 targets to see consistency and it was there! Well, except for that "one" in each group that got away - have I said that before???

By this time, a couple of guys had arrived and we went cold so I could retrieve my targets. When I got back to the "line", I reminded them of the unspoken range rule where they are required to do a lot of ooooo-ing and ahhhh-ing when an old guy does good. They complied and I went home to a rabbit supper.

I won't be able to re-test the 10.5" until Friday - got a night class tonight. As it stands right now, it seems to me that there just may be some magic at the 11.5" mark. I seem to get good results with 11.5" barrels and longer, and now two different brands and profiles of 10.5" barrels are not measuring up to the 11.5" performance. We'll see what happens Friday.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Have you tried other types of ammo with the 10.5?

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried other types of ammo with the 10.5?
I have, but not recently enough to remember what happened. At this point all I know is the ammo that shoots well in barrels 11.5" and longer, doesn't shoot well in either of the two 10.5" barrels I've used to date. I want to try some Federal Premium 77 gr match as soon as I can.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I have, but not recently enough to remember what happened. At this point all I know is the ammo that shoots well in barrels 11.5" and longer, doesn't shoot well in either of the two 10.5" barrels I've used to date. I want to try some Federal Premium 77 gr match as soon as I can.
Sounds like a good excuse for a reloading press if you dont already have one!:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a good excuse for a reloading press if you dont already have one!:danceban:
Yeah, it does, but that also says the barrel is so picky you have to custom handload ammo for it.

I've found some ammo that is a balance between accuracy, power, and cost and it works in most of my rifles, but it doesn't work well in the 10.5" barrels. I'm hoping I can resolve this somehow.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Wait!!! When are range days...not fun? :blink:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Well, when.....................hmmm, I'll have to get back to you on that.
What's the matter my Brother! You seem tongue...TANGLED. :hand5:

Reactions: Tangle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts