Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an XD-40 a couple weeks ago. I put 150 rds through it last week and 250+ rds trough it today. I have only used Winchester White box (165 grn) from Wally world. I have YET to have a failure to fire/feed.

I had some issues on my 1st range trip with the XD. I had been shooting a P345, so I wanted to go again to make sure I was getting a good grip on the weapon and good sight alignment/picture. After about 10 rds today I got a good grip. I was shooting better with the XD than I had been. BUT, there feels like more recoil with this .40 vs the .45 of the p345. My forearms feel like they get worked out with the XD more than the P345. But the XD feels better in my hands than the P345. I am going to try and find some 180 grn WWB to shoot and see if the recoil feels any different

In the 3 12 rd mags, I am able to get 12 rds in 1 mag, 11 in another and 10 in the 3rd mag. These numbers have increased since I bought the gun, guess the springs are tight. I can only assume the other 2 mags will losen up over time.

Well after about 100 rds I FINALLY was able to shoot with BOTH eyes OPEN. I have not been able to do it with any good results. WEll today I was able to keep both eyes open and get more consistant results than with 1 eye closed. I am working on finding a good stance that I can consistantly get.

So why do I go to the range? To get more consistant and get better at every aspect of owning and shooting MY guns and it's fun. I think most of us go for these same reasons. Yeah you may feel foolish about how you look or what people may think, get over it. I stand there with no gun in hand sometimes working on my stance. If you don't PRACTICE you won't get any better. I'll get off my soap box now..lol

My results from ~21ft away.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Practice is always good. I'm sure you've already analyzed your misses, what you could have done better, etc.

Which... is why we shoot :)

oorah

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Nice shooting. Practicing good form before hand is not foolish in the least. Everyone has to start somewhere and get good.
Probably more recoil due to the gun weight and caliber. Maybe try some 165 Gr. bullets too.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I know that going to the range is important even if I have to force myself to go these days.

It's really the only way I have of being sure all is good to go for carry. Both the firearms and myself.

I think I posted a few weeks ago that after around 200 rounds I felt beaten up some. But after getting some good advice from other members here I think I can work around the problem.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Practice is a good reason to go to the range. I have to get there a lot more this year!!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and more PRACTICE at the range are the only way to go. Bring the target to the 7 and/or 5-yard line then start shooting with both eyes open. At this distance use your front sight only. Put the front sight on target and shoot. Get good close in before moving out to further distances. For your stance find one that you like. Some people like the Weaver stance; I like both arms out front, with feet apart, leaning forward.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Both eyes open, knees slightly bent and the rest is up to the shooter...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I will not let my students shoot head shots,period !! COM ONLY. Take a look at your targets. Taking the head shots you had 10 shots that I feel would not even start to stop an agression. In the COM target,I feel that every shot would stop agression. For me,the ONLY shot at a standing(faceing) target is COM. ----------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Good session Bags - you have proved to yourself again what we all realize - there really is no substitute for our practice, live fire or even dry.

I agree in part with RSSZ re COM vs head but still think it is quite OK to include headshot practice, as long as that is and remains a secondary consideration. It is still useful IMO to be able to gain an instinctive shoot ability for those.

Keep up the good work and hey - I am well behind on range time yet this year - gotta put that to rights very soon.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Bags said:
I had some issues on my 1st range trip with the XD. I had been shooting a P345, so I wanted to go again to make sure I was getting a good grip on the weapon and good sight alignment/picture. After about 10 rds today I got a good grip. I was shooting better with the XD than I had been. BUT, there feels like more recoil with this .40 vs the .45 of the p345. My forearms feel like they get worked out with the XD more than the P345. But the XD feels better in my hands than the P345. I am going to try and find some 180 grn WWB to shoot and see if the recoil feels any different
In my experience shooting the XD40 Service, it does not. I can't feel any sort of difference in 165 grain vs. 180. My carry ammo is a 165 grain load so that's what I practice with just to be anal.

Bags said:
In the 3 12 rd mags, I am able to get 12 rds in 1 mag, 11 in another and 10 in the 3rd mag. These numbers have increased since I bought the gun, guess the springs are tight. I can only assume the other 2 mags will losen up over time.
XD mags are TIGHT brother. I keep a speedloader everywhere I keep my mags, it's the only way to reload many of them.

My carry mags are my carry mags because they're mostly broken in... it's still awful hard to get that last round in there sometimes though.

Load them all up with ammunition and just let them sit somewhere... I've got 6 XD mags right now loaded up and sitting in cold storage. Eventually they'll break in but it'll be a while!

This is one reason I'm so happy about the XD45ACP magazines... they're much easier to load without sacrificing any of the dead on reliability. That, and the fatter cartridges are much easier to stuff in there.

Good show!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
nice groups.... :hand10:

I go to the range at the least...once a week (whatz a jobless bum to do ? :embarassed: ). double and triple taps with the .380 and .38---
the .357 and 10mm deserve slow methodical fire until I feel real comfortable about trying a double tap.
What I really need is tactical practice... :redface:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
My only problem with your target is that I count approx. 50 rounds fired at the head with 5 clear misses and 2 borderline to incapacitate him. (the ear shots). That 86% accuracy. Where do the 5 misses wind up? :confused:

Furthermore, remember that you are absolutely legally, morally and ethically responsible for where those misses wind up. :gah:

You are shooting at a static target, ie. one that is not moving, and you only hit 86%. Keep practicing and don't try head shots until you are sure you can score 100%, 100% of the time. :nono:

IMHO of course. :blink:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I understand why the "head shot" is taking a little heat, but I have a different take on it.

My wife and I both shoot the COM right out of the target in fairly short order. At this point, you really can't see where you are hitting. So, rather than change targets, we simply shift our point of aim up to the head area so we can see & correct our fire.

Target tape would be good, but isn't available at the local range.

In the future, I think I'll either buy some smaller bull's-eye targets or just print some up, to tape over the COM of the silhouette target, once it's been shot out.

Besides, if you want to relate paper-punching to "real life," if I put 4 or 5 rounds into a BG's COM and he's still a threat, then it may be that he's wearing some darned-good body armor or is "methed-to-the-max," and I will shift to the noggin' to find his personal "off-switch."

mm

·
Super Moderator
13,214 Posts
I've got a different take on the head shot too. That may be all that's available. So if you don't practice taking head shots, what happens when that's all that's available?

I practice head shots with the thought that that might be the only solution. A guy's holding my wife in front of him and is a clear threat to her. Where's the COM and pelvis shot now?

Who can't make a head shot at 3 yards? The head is connected to the body by the neck. It has limited motion and at three yards, it's a pretty good sized target.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HappyGunner said:
I know that going to the range is important even if I have to force myself to go these days.

It's really the only way I have of being sure all is good to go for carry. Both the firearms and myself.

I think I posted a few weeks ago that after around 200 rounds I felt beaten up some. But after getting some good advice from other members here I think I can work around the problem.
My forearms felt like I spent hours in the gym.. I know what you mean.

Thanks everybody

RSSZ- I agree I aim CM/centermass.. but I don't look at them as headshots, I look at them as an area where I aimed and shot at. I aim at different points on most targets just to see how often I hit what I was aiming at.

EUC- good point on shooting what you carry. And Yeah I kep the mags packed while sitting around the house. Thanks for the info though:smile:

Artz- I am sure most of us want tactical practice

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
acparmed said:
My only problem with your target is that I count approx. 50 rounds fired at the head with 5 clear misses and 2 borderline to incapacitate him. (the ear shots). That 86% accuracy. Where do the 5 misses wind up? :confused:

Furthermore, remember that you are absolutely legally, morally and ethically responsible for where those misses wind up. :gah:

You are shooting at a static target, ie. one that is not moving, and you only hit 86%. Keep practicing and don't try head shots until you are sure you can score 100%, 100% of the time. :nono:

IMHO of course. :blink:
I agree that I am responsible for every round that comes from a weapon I pull the trigger on. If you read my other reply, it is more of an aiming exercise. I aim at the K5 in the head and the chest. I sometimes aim at the left elbow K5 as well. Again just to see how close I am getting to where I am aiming. Aim small miss small.

MM- I wish I read your reply 1st..lol.. this is EXACTLY why I take head and other shots... and you are correct might be you can't see his/her chest, you may only see a leg,head,arm,etc.. In the time it takes to tape up the target you can shoot more. Theer is a large piece of paper there. Use as much as possbile. Again it's not what you aim to shoot, but where you aim to shoot.

Tangle gets a +1 as well

·
Super Moderator
13,214 Posts
Bags,

I got distracted. You bought a great gun and I am more than glad to see you shooting it with enthusiasm, and for the right reason - SD.

You mentioned "...My forearms felt like I spent hours in the gym.. ". From my experience, the brain actually fatigues before the body.

If you are just getting started, keep in mind that practice alone isn't effective - it takes good, sound, practice to maximize your improvement. If you practice mistakes, you get better at them; if you practice good techniques, you become a better shooter. Which brings me back to your brain.

If you're really concentrating on technique and improving your shooting, your mind will fatigue. I see it over and over and over in people I train. Other trainers see it too.

I was working with a guy not long ago and we were able reduce his groups dramatically. Then I had him practice the techniques until the groups started to spread. I knew at that point, his mind was done and to go further would just be undoing the progress. I explained that to him and he heeded the advice and quit, while he was ahead, so to speak, and hence on a good note. He had shot only 75 rounds. But that was enough. I'm good for about 200 rounds before my mind either gets tired or distracted.

Another thing I see over and over is people want to shoot too fast, meaning faster than they are capable of. Speed will come naturally as a result of slow fire and good technique, you just have to be patient.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
madmike said:
I understand why the "head shot" is taking a little heat, but I have a different take on it.

My wife and I both shoot the COM right out of the target in fairly short order. At this point, you really can't see where you are hitting. So, rather than change targets, we simply shift our point of aim up to the head area so we can see & correct our fire.

Target tape would be good, but isn't available at the local range.

In the future, I think I'll either buy some smaller bull's-eye targets or just print some up, to tape over the COM of the silhouette target, once it's been shot out.

Besides, if you want to relate paper-punching to "real life," if I put 4 or 5 rounds into a BG's COM and he's still a threat, then it may be that he's wearing some darned-good body armor or is "methed-to-the-max," and I will shift to the noggin' to find his personal "off-switch."

mm
i agree with ya here i start the Com and when its gone ill switch to other places on the target Head arms etc to keep from changing

Also i agree if i put 4-5 com and he ain't stopped he's probley not gonna till ya clear the brain pan out

·
Super Moderator
13,214 Posts
Bud White said:
...Also i agree if i put 4-5 com and he ain't stopped he's probley not gonna till ya clear the brain pan out
Absolutely! He could have a vest on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts