Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some good things about Faxon, and have been eyeing their barrels for awhile now. For some reason, when I decided to pull the trigger on a Faxon barrel, I went with an 18" :confused:. I got the heavy fluted model, not sure why, but I do like the way they look and I suppose they are a good compromise between rigidity and weight.

Yesterday was my first range outing with the barrel, and I took some video although I did a lot more shooting than on the short video.

If the barrel continues to perform the way it did yesterday, I will have absolutely no complaints. I will probably put a slightly shorter handguard on it, just to show off the fluting a little more.

BTW, a Faxon 18" Gunner barrel just arrived today. It's a full tapered barrel, 0.625 gas shoulder. I'm quite curious to see how it compares.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
That's impressive. What was your load you were shooting? And what's the twist? I had heard of them but never looked into them, they are pretty reasonably priced.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's impressive. What was your load you were shooting? And what's the twist? I had heard of them but never looked into them, they are pretty reasonably priced.
Thanks Rob!

I was using HPR 55 gr VMAX bulk ammo! It sounds cheap at 400 rds/$179, but this stuff shoots very accurate. I've been shooting Australian Outback 69 gr Sierra BTHP match and this HPR shoots just as accurately.

The barrel twist is one of the things that attracted me to Faxon - it's 1:8. That and the QPQ finish inside and out.

I think too many manufacturers have gone overboard with the 1:7 twist. Apparently they think because 14.5" barrels need 1:7 to stabilize 77 gr bullets that longer barrels should be 1:7 too. I think that's way too fast for an 18" barrel. So does BCM; their 18" barrels are 1:8 too.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Thanks Rob!

I was using HPR 55 gr VMAX bulk ammo! It sounds cheap at 400 rds/$179, but this stuff shoots very accurate. I've been shooting Australian Outback 69 gr Sierra BTHP match and this HPR shoots just as accurately.

The barrel twist is one of the things that attracted me to Faxon - it's 1:8. That and the QPQ finish inside and out.

I think too many manufacturers have gone overboard with the 1:7 twist. Apparently they think because 14.5" barrels need 1:7 to stabilize 77 gr bullets that longer barrels should be 1:7 too. I think that's way too fast for an 18" barrel. So does BCM; their 18" barrels are 1:8 too.
Agreed one of the most accurate ARs I had was a 1/9 that was on a SW.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob,

FWIW, we were surprised that the BCM LWE 16" barrel was firing rounds faster than other 16" and even 18" barrels - http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...iscussion/324250-when-longer-isnt-faster.html

Well, the BCM 16" LWE is still faster:

BCM LWE 16" - HPR 55 gr VMAX Vavg = 2943 fps
Faxon 18" - - - HPR 55 gr VMAX Vavg = 2835 fps

The BCM LWE 16", on average is 108 fps faster than any 18" barrel I've clocked!

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Rob,

FWIW, we were surprised that the BCM LWE 16" barrel was firing rounds faster than other 16" and even 18" barrels - http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...iscussion/324250-when-longer-isnt-faster.html

Well, the BCM 16" LWE is still faster:

BCM LWE 16" - HPR 55 gr VMAX Vavg = 2943 fps
Faxon 18" - - - HPR 55 gr VMAX Vavg = 2835 fps

The BCM LWE 16", on average is 108 fps faster than any 18" barrel I've clocked!
Very Fascinating, I wonder if i should pull out the chrono and test the 2 LWE I have to the other guns I got.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very Fascinating, I wonder if i should pull out the chrono and test the 2 LWE I have to the other guns I got.
I think you should; it is fascinating - at the moment, I'm at a loss as to how to explain this.

I did some more chroning last night using LabRadar and the average velocity was a little lower but still faster than the 18" barrels by a significant amount. I was having some issues with LabRadar last night so the lower readings might be connected with the issue(s).

I would love to know if there is something unique about the LWE barrels.

I'll have a slick side upper receiver coming in today and I'll stick a Faxon 18" Gunner barrel on it and see what kind of velocities I get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts