Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i took my new stainless colt combat commander to the range with 500 rounds of various ammunition to find out if she was a keeper. although this test was not to re-evaluate my proven springfield armory tactical response pistol, im using it as a standard by which to compare.

this weapon is certainly asthetically pleasing, both fit and finish leaves very little to be desired. the stainless is certainly high quality, the overall feel and balance is about perfect, and its a pleasure to hold and fire. recoil is very controllable, and follow up target acquisition is very fast.

a bit of honing is definately in order. the squared edges of the frame are so sharp that if i ran out of ammunition i could use the slide as a combat knife. [:D]

slide to frame match isnt as tight as the TRP. this isnt necessarily a bad thing, but there is a noticable difference. its not sloppy by any means, just not a precision fit. for a combat weapon that could see some neglect, this is probably a good thing anyway, and it didnt seem to affect the accuracy one bit.

the trigger break isnt nearly as crisp either, but its still just fine and if i werent comparing it directly against a pistol costing nearly twice as much i would have nothing to complain about. i dont care much for a smooth front strap, but thanks to some wrap around grips this isnt an issue either.

prior to going to the range i field stripped the commander and lubed it. field stripping was a breeze thanks to the bushing/barrel setup. i prefer this very much to the bull barrel type setups or the two piece full length guide rod setups (like in my TRP), both of which require a tool to field strip (a "no-no" for a combat weapon). during my testing i also used a few drops of oil after every 100 rounds.

i wish i could give you numbers on grouping but thats not how i practice. i dont shoot bullseye targets so i dont know how good my groups are. i choose instead to shoot at pictures of bad guys, as i believe this is the best way to train. despite having the TRP in the picture, the above pictured target was shot with the colt from various ranges at various rates of fire. regardless of either, it filled the bad guy full of fatal holes which pleased me.

now the only thing that really matters....reliability. from round 1 to round 500 i never had a failure of any kind. from hot +P defensive loads to WWB my little pony ran through them flawlessly. i had no trouble mixing different loads or using different magazines. i shot weaver, (and despite some strange looks from others at the range) i shot "gangsta", i shot "inverted gangsta" (sideways, ejecting down) and i even shot the weapon upside down. i shot up, i shot down, i shot from every conceivable position i could think of and my little pony just kept trotting.

despite being a little tired, by the end of the day i was impressed to say the least. this pony is definately a keeper and has earned my trust as a daily carry alternative. it proved to me that if i do my job, it will definately do its job....and for defensive carry, what else really matters?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Good Review Told ya you would like the Colt..

Any planned changes like a beaver tail vs the duck butt comes on it ?

Nice having a no tools take down also isn't it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks
Man,I want one. So nice to hear , no FTF's when addressing a 1911.
I cannot figure out the look on "Ma Barkers" face. And that BG looks like my brother. (never liked him much)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for that review! I've really been wanting a Commander.
And, I sure agree on the edges of the slide. My Defender (made last year) had edges that actually sliced bits of leather out of my holster. A half hour with a stone fixed that... but I was thinking that I was holding a knife, not a slide!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Stellar results from a very tasty gun :smilez:

Thx for a great write-up.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Very good report, I'm glad you liked it. Those sharps would have to go. I suppose some people like those nice crisp edges. I'm just not one of them. And lastly, I honestly don't know why the woman in the picture is looking so nervious. With shooting like that she hasn't got a thing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
22,007 Posts
Nice write-up, Nathan. :congrats:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent choice of weapons. I also have a Colt XSE 5" that mirrors yours in accuracy, reliabilty and asthetics. I replaced the duckbill grip safety with a Wilson drop-in and it made a huge difference in the grip for me. Alot of people like to badmouth Colt but my two examples have been 100% reliable and one of which I have had for over 10 years. the sharp edges are easily smoothed on a stainless gun. for a purely combat gun I am sure the colt will replace your TRP(another excellent wepon) and you will pass it on to someone you cherish after your gone.:danceban:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bud White said:
Any planned changes like a beaver tail vs the duck butt comes on it ?
im not real sure about any mods just yet. the trigger is "fine", but if it can be cleaned up then i want to explore that a little. i also need to break out the dremel to cut my wrap-around grips (cut-out for the ambi safety) because i dont much care for a smooth front strap. other than that (and honing the sharp edges down) ill most likely leave it as is. its great out of the box, so i just want to make it a little more comfortable.

Nice having a no tools take down also isn't it.
absolutely! i dunno why so many gun makers have strayed from what works so well.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
Natural Selection...

great review and a good picture.

I've got the same gun in stainless that I have grown quite fond of.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Great post, sounds like you've got a winner....
Congrats...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts