Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's a short range report, because a customer who saw me shooting it bought it as soon as I got off of the range. It was going to be a range rental, but money talks! I saw a few mentions of this gun in other threads, but no range report, so here we go with the pics.

Sort of a Glock and M&P combination. I hear that it's from a company run by former Kel Tec employees, not sure how true the rumor is. The internals are very Glock and Kahr and not very Kel Tec. Kahr sear and trigger bar, Glock Striker and safety. The grip is more comfortable than it looks. The pics compared to the G4 Glock make it look like a very steep grip angle.

Compare with my average sized hand. Except for the M&P slide serrations, it's very Glock looking.

It's not me, I swear, it shot a little low right for all the testers.

Compared to my "Ole Faithful" Kel Tec .32. The DB is a bit thicker.

One shooter had a failure to go fully into battery when loading from the magazine. It was the first round loaded into the pistol that day, and riding the slide forward a bit could not be ruled out as a cause. One fat-handed shooter got a bit of slide bite. I was surprised to see that considering the beavertail. Accuracy at 21' was good, and a tap of the sight would be all that was needed. No other failures were experienced in 50 rounds of Magtech JHP, all we have in stock right now. We cleaned it for the new owner and saw no obvious unusual wear, peening, or any other bad stuff. The magazine is excellent, probably Mec Gar, and laser engraved "Diamondback" on the spine. A +5 coolness points, but functionally irrelevant. We did not think to check for the "smiley" problem that affects other brands of small .380s. I will give it a look with the next one we get.

Bottom line: Fit and finish were good, it functioned well in our limited test right out of the box. Recommended as much as any new-to-the-market pistol. We have ordered three more, one will go to the range rental pile so if it gets popular I'll be able to report on the long term

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Good range report. I have never heard of the DB. Nice looking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good deal kind Sir.... saw one the other day and had no clue what/who.....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Cocoa, Florida......That's where KelTec are made also.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very interesting...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Definitely a cool looking gun. It's great for competition when so many new .380's are out (Kahr P380, Sig P238, Ruger LCP, etc.). Now if only .380ACP ammo were more readily available at lower prices, then it would be perfect.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
here we go again. another small pocket carry 380 acp pistol when ammo is hard to find.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Thanks for the range report. It's a cool looking combination of some excellent designs. :hand10:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually we finally got in a bunch of .380 ammo. Magtech JHP in 20 and 50 round boxes are abundant. We have a few cases of CCI range ammo in stock now. The .32acp was more popular for us since the ammo shortage started but now I think the bubble is breaking and that will bring an increase in .380 sales again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anybody have any more experience with these guns? Im seriously considering picking one of these up.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There is a market for this gun IMHO, my wife ahas a Bersa that has been less than good lately with FTF and FTE problems, and my LCP is too hard for her to shoot for her liking...and I would love to find a Glock in 380 but we all know that story....so a mild shooting 380 in this size package, assuming it is reliable, would be the ticket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"former Kel Tec employees" = False
KelTec and Diamondback say no, that the owner of the Air Boat and Fireams companies never worked for Kelgren. That rumor started by a person thinking about the Ruger LCP who made a mistake and started a rumor and never went back and edited his original post to correct his error. I don't know why people start rumors like the guy who owns Crossbreed used to work for Tucker Gunleather because The Supertuck looks like it was copied from "The Answer" or this new gun manufacturer must have worked for another because both are in the same city ... they are untrue rumors and silly for people to start them. Instead of starting rumors, people should ask "Is this a good product, and is the service good?" The answer is yes on both.

I own a DB380, wear it around the house in elastic waisted gym shorts and to bed even, my local range doesn't open until Feb so haven't fired it, but I keep in close contact with several others who own them. I always shoot high with Glocks and right on with Taurus PT58 and PT92, so I got a DB380 and a PT709, both of which everyone says shoot low, and I expect I'll be right on with them. I only know of one DB380 that was out of spec and had a real problem, and Diamondback replaced his pistol and he says the replacement one has been flawless over 300 rounds so far.
Most say +P or higher pressure ammo like Corbon or Buffalo Bore are best in this particular pistol, which is a good thing, since +P would be a better defense round in a .380 and many other companies with blowback designs instead of locked breech say NOT to use +P ... The DB380 is locked breech and handles +P well, recoil spring is good enough for it too.
I use a suede Bianchi model 6 IWB holster.

I posted comparison photos somewhere (forgot which forum) for size comparisons, of the DB380, AMT Backup (about the same size), Seecamp, and maybe another pistol, maybe a P11, or Glock 27, I forget.... old age memory sucks

I think I paid about $375 after transfer fees, shipping, etc. I got one of the first ones in Texas probably, got a low serial # . :image035:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Think I want one of those...weight loaded w/7 rds...???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Think I want one of those...weight loaded w/7 rds...???
Well, I tried to weigh it on my digital bath scale that even measures parts of a pound, but even loaded with holster, it was too light to register so: ... light enough it doesn't pull down the elastic on my Walmart knit sleeping shorts/boxers (with old elastic)
I can get more bottom finger on the grip than most of the other .380s even without the finger rest magazine floorplate. DB380 is "locked breech" instead of "blowback".

Weight:
Kel-Tec P-3AT 8.3 oz. (unloaded)
Diamondback DB380 8.8 oz (unloaded)
Ruger LCP 9.6 oz. (unloaded)
Kahr KP3833 9.97 oz. (w/o magazine)
Taurus TCP 10.2 oz (unloaded)
Seecamp LWS38 11.5 oz. (unloaded)
NAA Guardian 18.7 oz. (unloaded)
Sig Sauer P238(SA) 15.2 oz. (w/o magazine)

Widths:
Kel-Tec P-3AT 0.77”
Diamondback DB380 0.75”
Ruger LCP 0.82”
Kahr KP3833 0.75”
Seecamp LWS38 0.91”
NAA Guardian 0.93”
Sig Sauer P238(SA) 1.10"

Height:
Kel-Tec P-3AT 3.5”
Diamondback DB380 3.77”
Ruger LCP 3.6”