Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
V-E-R-Y accurate. Well for an INDOOR range where the max shot is 25 yards. But kept all shots inside a two-three inch group dead center, although a little bit low. I think this was primarily me and a difficulty in getting a good spot weld with my shooting muffs vs a good sight picture with my OLD eyes. Still I was very happy with the results. I kept my target and I'll try to post a pic. Definitely good enough for government work.

Having said that:

I'M GETTING RID OF THIS FIREARM!:aargh4:

It kicks like Tennessee White Lightnin'! I couldn't believe the PAIN this gun generated in my shoulder! I am literally BRUISED today. If I had to fire this gun in a hostile situation, I'd fire it from the hip. The reason I bought the gun is for my WIFE to use to back me up. That just ain't gonna work. She took one look at my shoulder pocket today and announced she'd stick with her 45 Commander thank you very much!

The gun also failed to chamber a couple of different types of rounds. Since this was a "shakedown run" I fed it ball and a variety of JHP fodder. This could be a normal break-in period and I realize that. ALSO the bolt is extremely difficult to bring into a locked to the rear position. Difficult to manipulate and I'd hate to try and do this under a lot of pressure. The gun dropped the mag it was supplied with, but it held onto the mags I put into it from the M22 & M23 as well as the ultra hi-cap Scherer. By "DROP" I mean that in the middle of a string, it literally slid from the mag well and hit the tray of the range barrier behind which I stood. Now, it is possible that I myself hit the mag release, since this was a new shooting experience. I'm just relating the events.

I bought the gun to serve as a trip combo with my Glock M27 due to the capability to use the same mags...well no M27 9rd mag exchange... but both will use the M22 & M23 & Scherer 29rd mags. It seemed like the perfect combination for me. Now, I'm rethinking this strategy. I'd much rather use my Mini-14 with the factory folding stock. I carry it in the rectangular case I have that is very similar to the case I bought for the Sub 2000 carbine. It doesn't look like a "gun case." Since I'm of using the Mini-14 I can also rethink my primary sidearm and might in fact use my Sig P245 OR I plan to get a Sig P229 SAS with the DAK trigger.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great report. I hear the 9mm version doesnt kick nearly as bad. I was thinking about picking one up, now I know not to go for the .40.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kel-Tec 40 carbine...the gun for the true MASOCHIST

Freedz said:
Great report. I hear the 9mm version doesnt kick nearly as bad. I was thinking about picking one up, now I know not to go for the .40.
I had the 9mm. It was a pussycat to fire! I traded it even-steven
for the Beretta M92FS that I currently use for IDPA competitions. I love the Beretta to compete with, but I wouldn't carry it on the street as a matter of habit. I will carry it upstate to the FL state match in a few days and I'll feel well armed especially with the 17rd flush fitting Mec-Gar mags I have, but for me the 9mm is strictly for the competition game.

Geeze I couldn't BELIEVE the recoil on the Kel-Tec! My THEORY is that it was a sharp PUNCH because of the stock configuration being straight back rather than the more traditional comb drop of a wooden stocked rifle. Also the very light weight.

The student I was teaching (a true novice) wanted to shoot the thing, but I refused lest I turn the little gal off guns forever! That would be irresponsible. I mean, I was dressed for the south Florida sun and humidity...if I was wearing a P.A.S.T. recoil shield, there wouldn't have been a problem, obviously. But I've fired dozens of rounds of 12ga from my Benelli M121 in IDPA competition strings without even a hint of pain....I've fired my M1A in similar conditions. Even my GARAND didn't hurt like this!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Damn, that .40 must have had some serious bite! I was thinking 9mm version just because I would buy it for nothing more than a fun gun and ammo would be cheaper.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The NINE is FINE

Freedz said:
Damn, that .40 must have had some serious bite! I was thinking 9mm version just because I would buy it for nothing more than a fun gun and ammo would be cheaper.
:smile:

For what you want, the nine is fine. A very fun gun to shoot and very reliable, as well. Here's a warning though: If you do get one and field strip it for cleaning...do not...EVER pull the trigger while the bolt is out of the gun. If you do...only the FACTORY will be able to put the gun back together. This is a warning that is on the instruction manual.

Still the 9mm is a very fun gun to shoot. Pick up a couple of those Scherer after market 33rd mags and ROCK!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Thx for the skinny Jim - I had considered getting a 9mm - just because it folds! but - having got a Camp 45, Camp 9 and CX4 Storm - really can't justify it.

Surprised tho with a big guy like you, it is so brutal in 40 cal - but good to know :wink:

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rock and Glock said:
Nice report, but the frustration is not enviable! That's something, that the 12Ga kicks less!
I wouldn't say LESS but the 40 seems to much more of a concentrated PUNCH rather than the large SHOVE of a 12.

·
Super Moderator
24,281 Posts
ExSoldier said:
I wouldn't say LESS but the 40 seems to much more of a concentrated PUNCH rather than the large SHOVE of a 12.
But I bet you're not running low brass birdload in your 12GA either. lol I know you were excited when you got it - is there a recoil damping system for it?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rock and Glock said:
But I bet you're not running low brass birdload in your 12GA either. lol I know you were excited when you got it - is there a recoil damping system for it?
Don't know of any recoil dampeners for it...and you're right, the Benelli won't cycle low brass too well. It's recoil and not gas operated which is one reason it's a soft kicker...sorta.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
WOW I didnt think a pistol caliber carbine would kick worse than a shotgun. I knew there was something about the 40 round I didnt like. Thanks for the report. Im starting to take a hard look at the 45 G.A.P round it sounds like a good one. Take care and thanks again on the heads up with the new gun.

Sixgun

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still like the 40

sixgun said:
WOW I didnt think a pistol caliber carbine would kick worse than a shotgun. I knew there was something about the 40 round I didnt like. Thanks for the report.
I still LOVE my Glock M27 40 and I plan on getting the P229 Sig 40 in the SAS, with the DAK trigger. Might make that a primary carry piece. OTOH I am seriously looking at a lightweight 38 pocket snub for summertime carry 'cause it ain't gettin' any easier to pack anything else in the South Florida summers!:urla9ub: :urlaub2:

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Guess ya could go with a pistol carbine AR in .40.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Actually...

rocky said:
Guess ya could go with a pistol carbine AR in .40.
Kel-Tec makes a new pistol in 5.56mm and it's basically a sawn down AR. Reminds me kind of like the original BLASTER used by Harrison Ford in the 1st Star Wars movie. NOT something designed for CCW, but it might make a nice truck gun....and it could fit in the smaller bag.....Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
My glock magged sub 2000 shoots great.

Kel-Tec makes a new pistol in 5.56mm and it's basically a sawn down AR. Reminds me kind of like the original BLASTER used by Harrison Ford in the 1st Star Wars movie. NOT something designed for CCW, but it might make a nice truck gun....and it could fit in the smaller bag.....Hmmmmm

Not only does it shoot with no problems (over 1400 rounds so far), but the recoil is less than the .40 pistol that I carry. It has been rated at A- as a home defense weapon when compared with 3 other weapons and my 100 lb. wife shoots it with little effort and loves the accuracy. I can't imagine what all the fuss is about and I would like to buy all of your "too hard to handle" .40's.
Sincerely, Full Metal Hippy

·
Registered
177 Posts
WOW I didnt think a pistol caliber carbine would kick worse than a shotgun. I knew there was something about the 40 round I didnt like. Thanks for the report. Im starting to take a hard look at the 45 G.A.P round it sounds like a good one. Take care and thanks again on the heads up with the new gun.

Sixgun
I really don't think the 9mm kicks too much at all.... that being said, the stock is pretty short, and it's hard to get a good cheek weld and put the butt stock into a good firm position against your shoulder pocket. Usually seems natural that the lower corner of the butt stock goes against the upper part of your shoulder pocket, almost as if you're firing a bazooka or LAW... When you do this, it DOES hurt your shoulder. If you get your face down over the stock, and bend at the waist to get a good sight picture, then it does not hurt at all... very light recoil on the 9mm...

there is pretty strong resistance on the recoil spring, however. I too, bought this gun with the thought that my wife would be able to run the gun in an HD scenario. She, however, is totally unable to work the bolt and chamber a round... had to go with 20 ga and birdshot for her to use a long gun....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

That gun looks cool, I've got the SU-16c model and I love it, shoots while folded, so it's basically the best of both worlds! Sorry to hear about the sub 2k being suck a kicker, it looks like a handy little gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had one of these

I used to have one of these in .40 and don't recall the excessive recoil, but did find it didn't produce the level of accuracy I wanted. Seemed to be a sprayer at a 100 yards, which is not that much of a surprise, but wasn't what I wanted.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I used to have one of these in .40 and don't recall the excessive recoil, but did find it didn't produce the level of accuracy I wanted. Seemed to be a sprayer at a 100 yards, which is not that much of a surprise, but wasn't what I wanted.
My experience with a Sub2000 in 9mm has been all good. I ping the 4" gong at 75 yds pretty regularly which is farther than I would ever intend to use the weapon for anyway. If you can tolerate the plastic trigger and the plastic ghost blade front sight (it took me awhile to figure that out-- just cover the target with the blade) then it's a handy, portable, concealable, inexpensive rifle that uses all the mags that feed my Glock (not the 10 rd short ones though). For KelTec's offerings, I'm a heck of lot happier with the Sub than than that crappy little P3AT (which now resides with 250 rds. in a sealed container somewhere in the ground for seriously rainy day...).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Big fan of this little mule. I picked up one of these earlier this year, Glock .40 version, and enjoy taking it out on the range with a couple 31rnd mags. I've found the sights a little difficult to pin down to a tight group but it hits the target. I would not use this as a long range weapon by any means but up-close to intermediate range, definitely. I bought it for the cool fold in half factor, being able to throw it in a backpack if necessary and to share mags with my Glock 22. Don't regret it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts