Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, awhile back during the lockdown, I ran across a pistol review on YouTube about a Walther handgun called the “Creed”. What caught my eye was the price tag - $269.95. So, I watched the review and liked what I saw, and thought to look up that weapon, which I found for $275.00 even at an online dealer through GunsAmerica. I researched the gun and found out it was made in Germany, not licensed out to some shop in Turkey or wherever. Made in Ulm, Germany….. So I went on ahead and contacted the seller and bought the gun, thinking “what could be the worst case scenario? If it doesn’t work out, I can easily get my money back out of it later on.

I received the gun about a week later, and took it home and checked it out. Went to the range and shot it with a friend, and had zero problems. That was a couple of months ago, and I posted that report here. But, one thing remained - The competition test. For the record, I despise “Safe Queen” guns and don’t own any. If they are in my safe, they are used whether it is hunting or competing, or god forbid fighting every one of them must be useful, reliable and ready to roll or they are gotten rid of soon after. So, it was time to test the Walther Creed in an IDPA match setting and see how it would run. I took my middle son with me, because it is a couple days before his birthday, and he had a new Glock G22 to try out, so we packed up and off we went.

So how did things go? Just like the first range session did. Not one hiccup or jam. No misfeeds. Some things to note:

• Reloads with this gun were unbelievably quick and easy to make. With carry gear, I didn’t bobble or miss one reload, and timed the reloads for me were averaging between shots 1.1 to 1.4 seconds. Phenomenal for a carry gun using carry gear.
• The gun has a really nice trigger that grows on you; A couple of stages I decided to gas things up and shoot as fast as I could, and the gun responded. It is a double action hammer fired weapon that doesn’t stack at all and has a very predictable break to it. The gun will shoot as fast as you want to and then some, provided you can keep your sights on target.
• Which brings me to the one limitation here - The sights. While they are the simple 3-dot variety, someone with young eyes might do well with them, mine hit to point-of-aim every time but my aging eyes need a red fiber or a bright orange dot out front for me to line things up properly. Trying to shoot at speed without that bright front sight was the limiting factor here.
• The magazine well on the gun tends to rub against your arm and bother you during a long match. If you are on a “cold range” you basically walk around with with an empty gun and no magazine; the edges of the mag well on this gun are very pointed and sharp. My recommendation if you get one of these is to take a Dremel tool to those sharp edges and shave them all down. It won’t affect the function at all, and your shooting arm will thank you for it.

So, in summary this gun did really well today. I will get some new sights on top, a couple of minutes with the dremel tool and we’ll do this again. I have some video of two of the stages shot, The links are below. This gun is basically German quality manufacturing and engineering at a High-point/Ruger price point and would shoot circles around both guns in any match setting. My only regret is that during my research I found out that Walther discontinued the gun, which I think was foolish on their part because you really got a lot of bang for the buck with that gun if you are lucky enough to have picked one up…….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
$275? I'm not seeing them for less than $350 online.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My wife has one and it is her second favorite pistol. I have an FFL and I have sold about 12 of them and not one complaint.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
$275? I'm not seeing them for less than $350 online.
I’m thinking they caught on a bit and supplies are now drying up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts